Print

Author Topic: What games have actually surprised you? (either fell short or surpassed)  (Read 2877 times)

« on: December 15, 2002, 11:41:17 AM »
Usually I know beforehand whether or not something is worth getting.  But, do you ever get a game that you thought was going to kick ass, but it ended up sucking?  I have – many times.  Every once in awhile, though, I’ll get one that I’m skeptical about that ends up being surprisingly good, or even ends up as a favorite.  

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2002, 12:50:20 AM »
Umm... Spider-Man GCN and Extreme-G 3 are games that I didn't think were going to be that great and they turned out to be pretty darn good!
But there's never a game that I've bought that I thought was gonna be really great and then wasn't. All the games I thought were gonna be really great exceeded my expectations. Like Starfox Adventures. I thought it was going to be good, but it turned out to be the BEST game I've ever played.

"Thus has it ever been! Thus shall it ever be!"
That was a joke.

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2002, 04:43:10 PM »
Chupperson, sounds like you've been lucky with games. It really sucks when ya get a dud like stuntman. Very dissapointed with that one. A game I really think is great is Dr. Muto. Very addictive. Have you tried it?

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2002, 08:40:17 PM »
Sunshine was better than I thought it would be (even with the quirky camera).  Mario Party 4 was a disapointment.  I expected it to be more challenging and mature than the other 3 and not have random chance in the minigames.

Of the old games, Shadow Gate suprized me the most.  It was a cool game in a real rpg format.  Wario Woods was a big let down.  I like Wario, Toad, et al, and Tetris / Dr. Mario, but Wario Woods was even worse than Yoshi's Cookie or Mario is Missing.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2002, 11:50:55 PM »
I thought Wario's Woods was pretty good... although I'm really bad at it.

And now that I think about it, there have been some games that disappointed me, but only ROMs that I got to see how they were. Mostly movie-to-game things, like The Pagemaster and Toy Story. I thought since the movies were pretty good, the games would be... but they weren't.

But yeah, I usually throughly research the games I'm acually going to buy. That way, I don't end up with a wasted $50.
No, I haven't played Dr. Muto. It seems possibly a little too lowbrow for me to really enjoy...
Anybody played Tony Hawk 4 yet? I've been thinking about getting that...

That was a joke.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2002, 12:20:05 AM »
Wario Woods may have been an ok game, but I really sucked at it.  I tried to play it on the Tristar64 with N64 controllers.  They are mapped different than the SNES controller so I will blame may suckyness on them.  It was really hard trying to use the instructions when none of the buttons where what/where they said.  Anyway, I will get an SNES and try it again when I get my money from the Tristar64 I am selling on ebay.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2002, 12:24:16 AM »
That may prove worth your while.

So like how were they mapped? With the C buttons, and in different positions, or what?

That was a joke.

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2002, 04:36:09 PM »
Hey Chud, thanks for your comment. I've played TH4. Have you tried any of the others? Movies to games usually ends up being a bust just like you said. I find I'm always dissapointed. LOTR was ok but could have been better. Just wondering why you think Muto may be too low-brow for ya? What's your type of game? Sports, RPG?

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2002, 07:41:23 PM »
CW:

The Tristar64 uses the N64 controller. The buttons for the NES are mapped out pretty nicely. Up, down, left and right are all controlled by the D-Pad, not the joystick. I like this because then your hands are on opposite sides of the controller. The NES A and B buttons are the same buttons on the N64, and the start button is where start button is. The only difference is that the Select button for the NES is controlled with the Z button on the N64, and the A and B buttons on the N64 are at an angle while the original NES button were straight horizontally.  This makes it a little harder to hold the run button down on a NES Mario game and push the jump button with the middle of your thumb while still holding the run button.  The angle may actually be an improvement (it was done on the SNES), but I learned on the original NES controller and had to unlearn my method.  You may have noticed this in SMAS.

The SNES is a bit different. The directional pad is the same, along with start and select. The L and R buttons are also the same on the N64 controller, but the A, B, X and Y buttons use the A, B, and the two lower-right C buttons in the same setup as the SNES controller.  The c buttons are small and the angle of the buttons makes it hard to do a spin jump in SMW while holding the run button.  Again, I learn to play games on thier original systems.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2002, 01:10:08 AM »
That seems kinda weird. I would think they would have used the four C buttons instead of those.

Anyway, as for Tony Hawk, yes, I am a master at the first one, and I'm pretty good at #2 (GBA), haven't played 3 or 4. (3 threw me off with the wide variety of dumb things that had to be done, i. e. "get Chuck unstuck".) As for Dr. Muto... well, the rating says stuff that I don't go for, but I guess I shouldn't knock it 'til I try it.
I dunno, my type of game is platforming first (good platformers, that is... Mario, Mega Man, Metroid, stuff like that), RPGs second, and then, it has to have a darn good story (like Chrono Trigger), and racing comes in third. Then, I like adventure type games, but I don't really care for them (except SFA, which is in my opinion the ruler of all other games), and then space shooters are alright (I say that because I do like Starfox, you know. :-P )
Another strange factor I've noticed is that I tend to really like a game is if it has a simple, intelligent love story. (I'm very strange.) That seems to be why I ended up liking SFA and Chrono Trigger so much.

Edited by - Chupperson Weird on 12/19/2002 11:10:47 PM
That was a joke.

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2002, 12:25:42 AM »
Ya I learned my lesson about knockin games before I try them when I played MOHF. Didn't think it was my style. Awesome! Dr. Muto though is really great. I could go on and on cuz I'm playing it now and digging it but you can see for yourself here. http://www.drmuto.midway.com/ Another game I've been wanting to try is getaway. You tried that?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2002, 12:38:26 AM »
Nope... I'm really more the cosmic weirdness type guy, I think. Far-out thought-provoking stories are what I like best. And Mario. And various other classic stuff...
That was a joke.

Print