Print

Author Topic: What do you consider canon?  (Read 6174 times)

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2004, 08:09:08 PM »
Ditto.

I know this is a little off topic, but there have been alot more theories pointing towards the corpse outside of Kraid's lair being a Federation Trooper.  (Those are the guys that are being introduced in Prime 2)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/xmetaridley/smetroid.png

http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/article/540/540282/metroid-prime-2-echoes-20040819101209531.jpg

-----------------------------
Pessimists are technically happier people. They think things will suck...and if things do suck they just say ''Oh, I guess I was right''. Then if things don''t suck they get a sudden surprise...unexpected joy. So the worst thing that can happen is you''re proven right. An optimist can be let down but a pessimist can''t
"The bigger they are, the harder I fight."

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2004, 08:51:18 PM »
> Man, I don't trust the cartoons though.

Then don't bother trying to make the storylines work.  It's a waste of time.

> And as for the comics, I suppose you have a point, and once again I'm going to make an assumption that you're mostly refering to the small strips that used to appear in Nintendo Power.

No, I'm referring to the ones published by Valiant.

> Kind of like how the Mario Advance series overrides the older games.

Oh, revisionist history?  Wonderful.  This in itself proves the next point.

> I mean seriously, you trust some cartoon company more than Nintendo themselves? Pah.

Well, I don't trust Nintendo either.  There is no canon.  We've been over this before regarding Donkey Kong.  There are certain themes that stay relatively consistent among the games, but there isn't a consistent story line.  At all.  We already know what Miyamoto said about this.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2004, 09:56:00 PM »
I consider SMW2 to be more in the Yoshi Universe than a Mario game, but since it has "Super Mario" in the title and is a platform game I can see how it could be considered canon.  I don't care much for the back story in video games anyway.  If I did I would read the manual before playing the games.  (I put down Sword of Mana after reading well over a dozen sreens of dialog.) I like the Mario side scrolling platform games, but also like video games that are funny.  M&L:SS is a very good example of a game with excellent game play, a good story that develops during the game, and picklicious mustudidious furrious humor.

“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2004, 07:38:23 PM »
All I'm saying is, the games override the comics and cartoons. Those comics weren't written by the people who made the games, but the games were.

Edited by - Chupperson Weird on 8/28/2004 6:40:11 PM
That was a joke.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2004, 11:24:33 PM »
I will admit that my post had incorrectly spelled and/or made up words, but yours repeats itself redundantly.  <- I meant to do this on purpose too. <- That mustard smells like the mustard that it smells like.  :D

"Those comics weren't written by the people who made the games, but the games were."

Sorry.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2004, 03:32:13 PM »
...and you guys get a high out of discussing this?

---
"You might be a nerdwreck if..."
---

TAYL: Talk At Ya Later
Lazer Mario
TAYL: Talk At Ya Later
Lazer Mario

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2004, 04:59:13 PM »
The place where Mario games take place is on a planet called Plit. Lemmy Koopa said this.
Werid Fortune Cookies- Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2004, 07:33:06 PM »
Give me a break.
That was a joke.

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2004, 08:03:38 PM »
Well while we're on the topic of things being canon, here's a question that's been bugging me for a while.

In Mario Kary: Double Dash!! you can see that in the Yoshi ciruit (I forget the name) there is a Yoshi copter from SMW2 circling around overhead.  (And once again, this is a question of individual opinion).  Does anybody consider those transformations to be "true" or "accurate"?  I didn't before, but know the idea is kind of starting to grow on me.  What do you guys think?

"In Paris they simply stared when I spoke to them in French; I never did succeed in making those idiots understand their language." - Mark Twain

Edited by - kamikaze koopa on 9/6/2004 7:04:18 PM

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2004, 09:12:11 PM »
Perhaps SMB2 was the manifestation of supressed memories Mario held since the events of Yoshi's Island?

Shyguys are everywhere in both games.

Could the nightmare of Birdo, an egg-spitting dinosaur, have been inspired by memories of Yoshi, an egg-chucking dinosaur?

Just a couple of examples, though I remember having a much clearer theory in my youth.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2004, 09:47:54 PM »
<sarcasm>Or maybe the games don't follow one big story but are only connected by characters and places.  Yeah right, like that's possible.</sarcasm>

Everything is as smooth as sandpaper pajamas.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2004, 10:18:25 PM »
I think the metamorphosis bubbles are "real" since they appeared in SMW2. Having a Yoshi copter in MKDD just proves that they don't really care about timelines or canonity, at least in the sports games.
That was a joke.

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2004, 08:10:15 AM »
Yeah, I happen to agree.  I already don't consider the spin-off games to be true (like I've said before).

And I actually had the same idea that AntiSonic had.  If Subcon really is the world of dreams then those dreams would be effected by reality in terms of a persons psyche.  So it would only make sense that some of those distant childhood memories from SMW2 could resurface in Mario's dreams.  And the theory that Birdo is a distortion of Yoshi would be a pretty good theory, except that Birdo is a completely different character in the "real world".  She's already been in Super Mario RPG as well as Mario&Luigi: Superstar Saga.  Unless she was created in subcon, and then somehow escaped?  That would be an interesting plot twist.  ;-)

Anyway, I've always kinda wondered if SMW2 and Yoshi's Story should be taken seriously.  I mean they were "storybooks", so it's safe to assume that they distorted reality a bit.  Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that they're not canon.  I'm just saying that because of their storybook nature that they may have exaggerated some aspects.  Forgive me if I sound like a hypocrite.

"In Paris they simply stared when I spoke to them in French; I never did succeed in making those idiots understand their language." - Mark Twain

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2004, 07:52:06 PM »
Plus, Bob-Ombs and Shy Guys came from DDP/SMB2 in the first place... I don't really know where I'm going with this, yeah...
That was a joke.

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2004, 06:55:01 PM »
No games can truly be considered "canon" since, as stated earlier in this thread, the Mario series doesn't have a definite timeline.  Thankfully, since this allows the Mario series to vary so much.  Mario will rule forever, even though, by that time, his games may follow half a million different storylines.

In short, if Mario needed a consistent timeline, he'd be gone long ago.  Which would be hailed as the beginning of the end of the universe *insert spooky music here*.

Too many numbers...
Too many numbers...

Print