Print

Author Topic: Miyamoto Hates Stories  (Read 32697 times)

« on: June 12, 2009, 03:41:05 PM »
This article goes a long way towards explaining why the Mario series definitely has no canon.

Also: Peach is officially a "glutton".

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 04:12:22 PM »
I want to see the airship cake scene.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 04:27:15 PM »
I just hope "less story" doesn't mean "less Rosalina."
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 05:02:08 PM »
I'd wager that it means "no Rosalina". If he's really intent on stripping the plotline down to its basics, that presumably equtes to another good ol' case of Bowser kidnapping the princess. Again.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Captain Jim

• TwinklyMuffin
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 05:12:50 PM »
WHO'D HAVE EXPECTED THAT TO HAPPEN, EH WEEGEE?
No! I don't want that!

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 05:15:41 PM »
I bet she's in another castle or galaxy.

ZOMG, PLOT TWIST!
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Sqrt2

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 05:24:18 PM »
Super Mario Galaxy 2 won’t have as deep a storyline as its predecessor, says Mario’s creator Shigeru Miyamoto.

Can someone tell me how Galaxy had a 'deep' story.
AA fanboy and proud!

Captain Jim

• TwinklyMuffin
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 05:27:04 PM »
It never really called it deep. It said 'as deep'. Meaning, even in Galaxy was shallow, it will be deeper than Galaxy 2. Just like a rain puddle is deeper than a bottle cap full of water.
No! I don't want that!

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 05:47:52 PM »
Exactly. When put into the context of the Mario series, Galaxy's plot is harder to follow than watching all three instalments of the Matrix at once.

Backwards.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 06:21:59 PM »
.aohW

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 06:22:37 PM »
Still, that article proves that the fans aren't the ones who like the idea of a somewhat deeper storyline set in Mario's world. Part of the reason is that well...it happens to lend itself really well to storytelling. Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi have both proven this.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 06:33:38 PM »
I think this pretty much sums up why Mario is to Miyamoto as Star Wars is to George Lucas. They should be kept as far away from their creators as possible because those guys are nuts and just want to mess stuff up.
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 07:34:17 PM »
But what's perfect about Paper Mario and the Mario & Luigi games is that they wrap themselves up as promptly as their simple, platforming brethren. There are no cliffhangers or open ends. The villain is defeated and it's all good. The Thousand-Year Door had a pseudo-cliffhanger at the end with Peach's new map, but it was never one anybody expected would lead to a sequel anyway.

No spoilers ahead.

Anyway, for being a traditional Mario game, Galaxy's story was perfect. A dramatic opening and a very compelling reason to collect power stars, and it's heavily implied that the 121 you collect are but a fraction of how many exist in the universe, all scattered about as nothing more than great sources of power. In 64, you just kept collecting them because they unlocked doors and because "Bowser stole them." The ending of Galaxy is fittingly dramatic to match the beginning, but for no true reason... It's the same as usual. "Check it out, Bowser's plans failed again. Yaaay." In 64 you just beat Bowser like normally and you see Peach. She finally gets to work on the cake she said she had baked for you. Probably ate it already, that glutton.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 10:23:45 PM »
Well, "hate" is a strong word, especially since he said that's it's really just the Mario games he seeks to deny a "deep" plot (I do disagree, though, that having a deeper plot will make the game, I don't know, "darker"). I'd like the Mario games to have good plots (SMS worked fairly well and SMG's was underrated) but I understand the games can function fine without them (and have). However, there's trying to make a plot and failing, and then there's flat-out refusing to make up a plot just 'cause. On the other hand, this pretty much assuages my (admittedly irrational) fears of the game having the exact same plot as SMG.

...Then again, I guess it technically will have the same plot.

Also, Peach is cake-obsessed?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2009, 10:44:49 PM »
I wonder if the people who protested Fat Princess have anything to say about that.

If there's enough plot leeway, I'm probably going to just pretend that SMG2 is the "new world" Rosalina said you'd go to when you got 120 stars, and that the whole getting the same stars again as Luigi was just Luigi's dream / schizophrenic delusion (related to the theory that the Luigi you play as is a personification of Luigi's bravery and heroism and the Luigi that Luigi rescues is a personification of his cowardice and dependence).
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Print