Print

Author Topic: 8-bit music  (Read 4995 times)

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« on: July 21, 2008, 07:04:51 AM »
Incase someone doesn't know exactly know what 8-bit music is it is the music from the old gamboy and gameboy color games.  Anyways with me whenever I played a game with that music it was so repetitive and random that it would put me in a trance.  Seriously it would put me in a freaky game trance where I was completely absorbed in the game and could just go on for virtually forever.  And whenever there was a pause in the music it actually annoyed me like a sudden loud noise annoys you!  It's weird but I just wanna know if its this way with anyone else.
Probably likes Sonic games better than anyone else on the fungi forums.

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 07:19:34 AM »

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 08:43:29 AM »
uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh..........yeeeeeah, not really.

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 09:41:15 AM »
Incase someone doesn't know exactly know what 8-bit music is it is the music from the old gamboy and gameboy color games.
I was going to correct you here by linking some music that had been converted to 8-bit PCM to let you know what it really was but I decided that would not be good for several reasons including legal.

What you're thinking of may be more accurately described as chiptunes, and it goes beyond the realm of that wonderful handheld, although it does make up a large portion.  Others utilize the NES's Ricoh 2A03 chip to make music, and Commodore 64's MOS Technology SID chip, which is probably the most popular of them all.

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 10:08:20 AM »
Cool I never knew about that.  Thanks for the info.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 02:21:08 PM »
It's weird but I just wanna know if its this way with anyone else.

After three straight hours of Monsters Inc. for GBC, Heck Yeah!
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 02:23:16 PM »
TWEWY's Tin Pin Slammer music is great, too.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 02:45:43 PM »
Dude, I was going to say the exact same thing.
every

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 06:06:01 PM »
I'm glad there's a topic about this, as at makes me think of a question that I've been meaning to ask..

Is there a mainstream band that covers video game music?
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 07:24:22 PM »
Mainstream? Well, no. The closest is when Pixies did a cover of the theme from NARC, which was seriously awesome.
every

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 07:26:14 PM »
I was going to correct you here by linking some music that had been converted to 8-bit PCM to let you know what it really was but I decided that would not be good for several reasons including legal.

What you're thinking of may be more accurately described as chiptunes, and it goes beyond the realm of that wonderful handheld, although it does make up a large portion.  Others utilize the NES's Ricoh 2A03 chip to make music, and Commodore 64's MOS Technology SID chip, which is probably the most popular of them all.

I was going to say that!
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008, 09:30:14 PM »
Dude, I was going to say the exact same thing.
So was I!
I was going to say that!
Same here!
Mainstream? Well, no. The closest is when Pixies did a cover of the theme from NARC, which was seriously awesome.
THEEEEEME FROOOOOOM NAAAAAAAARC one of the few times they had a good B-side.

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 04:57:31 PM »
i like videogame music a lot! i sometimes start listening to videogame music (whether its 8-bit, 160bit, 32-bit, etc.) and i just keep on going unil i get bored!

there are some sites where one can listen to videogame music...i sometimes go to those sites and start listening...i enjoy VG music more than normal music at times...hahahaha

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 06:21:40 PM »
(whether its 8-bit, 160bit, 32-bit, etc.)
160bit :D
This is where naming the type of music 8-bit, 16-bit, etc. after their platform gets to be a problem, as if you say 32-bit music, I'm really going to start thinking you're talking about high resolution PCM.

Print