Print

Author Topic: Super Mario's Universe Video  (Read 4632 times)

« on: February 28, 2006, 03:40:18 PM »
Does anybody remember a video from around May of 2002 about a fake Mario game for the GBA? It was an extremely high quality fake, and there were 2 versions of the video: a shorter one (around 12 seconds) and a longer one (I think it was almost a minute long).

The longer version had a screen appear at about 12-13 seconds in that said that the guy who created it admitted it was fake, and how he wished Nintendo would make something like this.

Anyway, does anybody remember it?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 03:07:29 PM by Toad »
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 05:26:26 PM »
Was it a commercial and what happened in it?
Senior Mariology professor

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 05:44:16 PM »
It was a video created by some person that had extreme talent creating a very official looking video.. He made it look like someone was filming it from E3 (or one of those other trade shows).

I don't remember much of what happened in the videos, but I do remember the first 10 seconds..

It starts out with one of those giant video screens that Ninty uses to show off games with at trade shows, with the GBA logo coming on as normal, then spinning off in a not normal fashion (not normal for the GBA logo, anyway). Then it goes on to show what looks like the Princess lying with her eyes closed and the camera slowly moves up her face. It shows Mario's face for a second, then the Princess's again. She opens her eyes and looks surprised as a remix of the SMB theme starts playing. It then moves on to show Mario running from left (from some pipes) to the right (to more pipes) with a very Yoshi's Island inspired background behing him. It should be known that the graphics look very much like what would happen if the Wind Waker and Super Mario Bros were somehow fused, with bits of Yoshi's Island thrown in for flavor.

That was just the first 10 seconds-ish. I don't remember enough to tell you what happened in the longer version, but I do remember it had to do with Mario taking on a giant Goomba (keep in mind this is way before the DS was even thought of), and then another scene where it looks like Mario and Bowser are facing off in similar way to the Bowser battles in Super Mario 64.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 06:15:27 PM »
Giant Goomba? If it was before the DS it probably could have been for Paper Mario.

The Goomba King was reused from PM on SM64DS.
Senior Mariology professor

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 06:30:27 PM »
But it wasn't the Goomba King, it was just a giant Goomba (very similar to the one seen in one of the new Super Mario Bros videos). I think this was before Paper Mario came too.. not for sure on that.

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 01:48:29 AM »
Provided this wasn't just a dream, someone knowledgable will be along shortly.  I'm interested in seeing this...

In the mean time, you may want to get a little more specific in your thread title, so as to snag someone who knows something about this video.
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 01:53:16 AM »
I remember it.

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 11:39:32 PM »
I remember it. Actually, I guess there's even more like this. Super Mario Universe plus a few other interesting videos:
http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=2&cId=3141783

I really like the Legend of Zelda one, think "Majora's Mask" scenes but with everything in a different style. The Super Mario Universe one, though... I look back at it and wonder how ANYONE could believe it was a real game. Actually, my first thoughts were "That is one pathetic Bowser", instantly telling me it had to be fake. Or toads would roll, let me tell ya.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 11:50:58 PM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2006, 12:21:48 AM »
In the mean time, you may want to get a little more specific in your thread title, so as to snag someone who knows something about this video.

Who would I talk to about changing the thread title? I have no idea what I would change it to, though..

.. and thanks, Deezer and Penguinwizard, for proving I am not crazy. :p (TMK really needs a smiley that sticks it's tongue out)

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2006, 11:14:19 AM »
(Smileys were done away with.)
To change a thread title, just go to edit the very first post and change the subject line.

Oh, and I remember the video.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2006, 03:09:33 PM »
Thanks, Sapphira.

I watched all of those videos on the link, and they are all good quality fakes. The NintendoON one even had things in it that it seemed like Nintendo would do (ie: 100s of mushroom castles).

Side note: why were smileys done away with? Too much to load?

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2006, 03:41:46 PM »
Wow, that video looked awfully weird.

Also, I think people used the smileys too much. I miss them.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2006, 10:46:24 PM »
Also, I think people used the smileys too much. I miss them.
Wha--?  I could understand taking emoticons away, but that's not a very good reason.

Anyone who ever believed the Mario Universe video was made by Nintendo must have been somewhat blind.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 12:45:40 AM by DeadAwake »
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2006, 07:14:24 PM »
Er...it was made by Nintendo.
Mario was made by nintendo, wasn't he?  Then came Super Mario Bros. after a few arcade games, in which the Mushroom kingdom is introduced to us.  Then in the next game we get a glimpse of Subcon. And in SMB3 the Mushroom Kingdom is drastically expanded upon.

Then we have Super Mario Land, in which Sarasaland is the setting.  This was also made by Nintendo, was it not?  And don't forget about Super mario Worlds 1 and 2.  We play in Dinosaur Land in both of them. 

So quick recap: I have just shown that Nintendo has CREATED the Mushroom Kingdom, Subcon, Sarasaland, and Dinosaur Land...all regions of the Mario Universe. 

Obviously, Nintendo worked with other companies to complete games.  They worked with square on Mario RPG.  They worked with Alpha Dream on Mario and Luigi.  But for the most part (and by the most poart I mean 90% of the time) Nintendo created the gist of their Mario Universe.  The other companies aided in giving them plot ideas, character ideas (Like Culex in Mario RPG...I mean come on, just the mere appearance of him reminds you of Final Fantasy). 

What the...
Oh.  You said Mario Universe "video."  Sorry about that...

Print