Poll

In SSBM, what do you press to jump?

Y
X
Tap-Up, only
Print

Author Topic: The Capriole Conundrum  (Read 12159 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2008, 08:42:12 PM »
Maybe I can blame loosing all the Brawls I played with MegaByte on my use of the X button to jump, the supposed Wavebird lag, or that defending with L and R requires pushing until the triggers click. 

Actually, I think it's simple that I suck, but if I could design my own SSBB controller it would have the Y, X, B, A setup of the SNES controller and bidirectional digital triggers like rocker switches.  If I had this controller I wouldn't have to move my right thumb as far too reach the C attacks or the GCN's four buttons.  Defend would be pushing in on the rocker shoulder trigger like pulling your hand in front of your face in boxing.  And the outside R and L on the rockers would be attacks in those directions. 

This setup would be similar to the Classic controller, but with rocker shoulder triggers, and the Y and A buttons closer.  I'd rather use the GCN WAVEBIRD because it feels more comfortable in my hands and I prefer controllers with handles for intense games.  Not to mention the annoying cord on the Classic Controller. 

Even if I had my own custom made controller I'd still probably suck at SSBB and be easily beat by MegaByte. 

“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2008, 09:11:24 PM »
Don't be so hard on yourself. (At least not until I've played you.)
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2008, 10:24:28 PM »
How are you going to grab?
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2008, 11:56:23 PM »
Who grabs anyway?
That was a joke.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2008, 12:39:20 AM »
... grabbing was a key technique in Melee.  Perhaps LD's n00b comment is appropriate.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 12:41:30 AM by MEGAߥTE »

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2008, 02:38:17 AM »
Defend + A, I'd guess, would be the combo of buttons for grabs (it'd suck to be the people who use Z, though, unless a small extra button is added in the original position complete with same functionality).
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2008, 08:41:57 AM »
What about up C attack?
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2008, 01:42:39 PM »
 Y seems like a reasonable button to press to jump. I do, however, use X. Seems tilting my thumb just slightly to hit the button lightly is easier for me than hitting Y with the tip of my thumb. I can't remember if I used C-left or C-down on the old N64 controllers for the original, but the muscle memory from that stuck with Melee, and into Brawl. Using Up on the joystick never felt right to me, and never will.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2008, 08:01:43 PM »
How are you going to grab?
I have never grabbed.  Don't even know how.  Bmage damaged me a lot last night by using grab.  Maybe I should read the instruction manual instead of just pushing buttons to see what they do.

... grabbing was a key technique in Melee.  Perhaps LD's n00b comment is appropriate.
I only played Melee for a few hours then gave it to my brother after we (mostly him playing and me watching or telling info from gamefaqs.com) unlocked everything.  So, I guess I am a n00b.  I'm not really a fan of fighting games, but SSBB is much more than just a fighting game.  Subspace alone warrants my purchase. 

What about up C attack?
Good question.  I'd originally thought about using X, but decided to make that jump.  Guess I could use the control stick up for jump and map C up attack to X.  Seems my planning here was nearly as poor as my Paint skills.  I guess I could try the Classic Control.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2008, 08:59:12 PM »
Grabbing seems to be harder to do well in Brawl, or maybe I'm just rusty (yes) from not having played regularly in almost four years.  The stage outer limits also seem to be wider than many of the Melee stages.  But last night I definitely won some games thanks to grab.

To L'son: grabbing is done (best) with Z, the button you decided not to use :-p

For whatever reason, effective grabbing and blocking seem to be things that less experienced Smash players seem to not use/forget about/know about.  They're critical in intense fights.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2008, 09:01:38 PM »
Maybe I should read the instruction manual instead of just pushing buttons to see what they do.
If you want to truly pwn, always read the manual.
Failing that, there is always that one instructional video.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2008, 09:47:15 PM »
Thanks MEGAߥTE.  Max, what is "that one instructional video"?

« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2008, 10:31:55 PM »
I believe he is referring to this video.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2008, 10:40:25 AM »
Thanks.  That was very helpful. 

« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2008, 12:28:32 PM »
I couldn't remember, so I booted up Melee. I use the X button. I don't use Tap-Up because of the slight delay in jumping from moving the Control Stick up. But that doesn't stop me from using Up for the Smash-Up attack. That might be why: I only use the Control Stick for movement and attacks. I don't use it to jump.

And I'm not a fan of the thread title, since I had to look up "capriole" to figure out what it was referring to. But the title did persuade me to click to find out what it was about.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 12:38:44 PM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

Print