Print

Author Topic: E.B or Gamestop?  (Read 4734 times)

Martini

• Banned
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2005, 01:52:57 PM »
I choose gamestop because it has more games

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2005, 07:19:49 PM »
Actually I prefer both,but if I had to choose one I would pick E.B.

Hello is this Pizza Castle?~Patrick from the "The Bully" episode of Spongebob
I see poop.

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2005, 08:14:47 PM »
From the latest issue of Computer Games Magazine:

"When someone buys your game for $35 from the (ever-growing) racks of used games, all of that goes to the retailer and nothing goes to the developer/publisher. For a developer/publisher, a used copy is worse than a pirated copy because it not only means that they don't get any money for their labor, the player is out that money, and can't spend the money on another game - the pirate still has $35 bucks in his pocket. Given the huge margins, it's easy to understand why used game sales have become such a big deal to many retailers.
A similar phenomenon is happening in the massively-multiplayer arena. One of the huge attractions of developing an MMO is that they are naturally resistant to two of the largest revenue thieves: piracy and used game sales."

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2005, 12:05:37 AM »
I agree, Lizard Dude, but I'm going to keep buying cheap used games and I'm going to keep selling back old games.  The emergence of used game retailers may be one of the worst things in recent times to happen to console game makers, but was one of the best things to happen to me.

Lately, however, I have become disappointed with both EB and GameStop.  My local EB games has an ever-growing mountain of dirt-cheap used games, but they're all 'B' games that I have no interest in playing.  The 'A' games never show up in the used bin - presumably because people like them so much that they never trade them back in.  And recently I have been disappointed with the selection of both new games and hardware at EB.  If they're supposed to be a dedicated game store, why don't they cary a single copy of Zelda: Minish Cap when the electronics section of my local Target has several copies?  So, as much as I love to score a great deal, I still prefer paying high prices for a quality selection of games. Which is why I cast my vote for: Amazon.com.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2005, 12:22:07 AM »
Maybe games will eventually be faster, better, and cheaper through console downloads like Nintendo plans for the classic game downloads on the Revolution.  That would elimnate the used game market and make more money for the console makers.  On the otherhand it might open up gaming companies to more pirating.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Print