Print

Author Topic: Good TV show ideas gone bad  (Read 5344 times)

Kojinka

• Bruised
« on: October 25, 2006, 03:34:20 PM »
Do you know of any TV shows that had a good idea, but just didn't live up to your expectation?
The idea for American Dragon: Jake Long was great, but I don't really care for direction it took.  I dunno, I was expecting something different.  Not even the presence of mythical creatures and the concept of people being able to turn into dragons could turn me on.

Now if I were to make a cartoon about a person being able to morph into a dragon, I would've placed the setting in medeival times.  The main character would be on the run from knights, and his/her best friends would be a fairy and a forest elf, who would travel with him.  Oh, and it'd be drawn out anime.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 05:49:17 PM »
Freakshow. Come on, a comedy about a team of superhero circus freaks shouldn't be that hard to make, and yet, it hasn't lived up to its critical acclaim. I watched the show for a few episodes, but it's just not funny.

Happy Hour. Ok, what really won me over was that it was advertised as created by the producers of That 70's Show but it just does not have the same kind of humor. That's probably what killed it for me.

Runaway. Good concept, bad actors.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 08:52:35 PM »
I think most of the shows on Cartoon Network these days start out strong, but die out fast.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 03:28:31 PM »
Cartoon Network's best asset is the fact that it still plays classic shows. Also, it has marvelous voice actors. Just about every Metal Gear Solid Voice actor in on a CN show, like Paul Eiding (Coronel Campbel) is the grandfather on Ben Ten (an awful show, I only know this from the internet), and Grim (from Grim Adventure of Billy and Mandy) is voiced by the guy that voiced Grey Fox.

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 06:00:50 PM »
Grim voiced Grey Fox? No idea, man.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2006, 07:44:45 PM by PaperLuigi »

Jman

• Score
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 07:15:02 PM »
Sonic X: good show, decent plots, so called terrible dubbing.

Saturday Night Live: Honestly, I watched an episode from 2004, and I laughed maybe twice.  They need a resurgence here in 2006 or they're in trouble.
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 07:29:44 PM »
One Piece, Kirby and Sonic. All animes that had a chance, ruined by 4kids.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 07:58:07 PM »
The original Japanese versions of most of those shows were great.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2006, 05:16:29 PM »
Yeah, it's 4Kids you hate, not those shows. If you were to give the fansubs a chance I'm sure you'll think a bit more positively on them.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2006, 07:45:31 PM »
I was just commenting on Jman's  post. I wasn't saying they were "Good ideas gone bad."

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2006, 08:39:02 PM »
I'd like to take back what I said about Freakshow. After it's move to Thursdays and after watching the last 3 episodes, I can safely say it is absolutely hilarious. It's too bad it'll prbably be axed at the end of the season. I guess it'll go in the pile of underrated shows, like The Critic.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2006, 10:03:45 PM »
It STINKS.

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2006, 07:39:10 PM »
The only good shows on Cartoon Network are

The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy (kind of has a Ren and Stimpy feel to it.)

Ed Edd 'n' Eddy (really wacky humor in the style of Bob Camp meets Tex Avery)
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2006, 08:37:51 PM »
You forgot Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends and COdename: Kids Next Door. That, and this is a topic for shows gone bad.

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2006, 06:20:27 AM »
You forgot Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends and COdename: Kids Next Door.

Correct, objective good ftw!

Print