Print

Author Topic: Paper Mario :TT-YD War Stories & other  (Read 4276 times)

« on: October 27, 2004, 03:39:05 PM »
READER'S NOTE: THREAD MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

CAUTION!!!

With that...

I just decided to make this thread because of something that just happened to me. I ran into a troup of Crazee Dazees in Twilight Town's woods and they almost demolished me right there--it wouldn't have been so bad but I hadn't saved since before I'd even found Darkly, so I would have lost a lot of progress.

Somehow I managed to get out of that fight, Yoshi having 0 HP and Mario with only 1, and I noticed I wasn't carrying any healing items. Pretty bad? Well, instead of heading back to Twilight Town to buy some, I just kept going. Somehow I got through the entire woods without getting killed all on that 1 HP; I mostly used damage items, but I never ran. It seems suitable, considering how spooky the place was already, that I would be on the edge of my seat hoping I didn't KO. I finally made it to the Heart Box and the save point, and boy was I glad. This about about 10 minutes ago...

... and it inspired me to start a thread that kept a chronicle of such tales... near wins, near losses, bad situations, even humorous ones. I really like this game, and I think it would only enhance the whole experience of it to discuss it with fans on the boards here.

Hope this isn't a bad idea.

Ciao.

"Love... How do I explain it? Love tells you when you want to be with a person forever. It makes you feel happy just to see that person happy... smiling, having fun. When you love someone you will do anything to help when he or she is in trouble." -Princess Peach, Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

"Mario`s trying to get it all! Treasures, princesses... Will his greed never end?" -Kammy Koopa, Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

Kickin' it since 2000.

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2004, 01:15:04 AM »
YES POSSIBLE SPOILERS UH OH

I finally beat the Pit of 100 Trials last night.  Man, I've never played a more nerve-wracking "level" in a game, heh.  The first time I attempted to get all the way to the bottom, I made it to level 89 and then died because one of my enemies attacked me twice.  If I had survived that one turn I would have been fine.  And of course in the Pit you can't save at all, so I lost everything I'd managed to win on the way down--a few badges, a level and like 600 coins.  Ouch.

When I beat it last night I had two really close calls.  Once I died on like level 94, but had forgotten I had a Life Shroom--phew.  Then on something like level 98, my whole game depended on me pulling off one of Koops's Stylish commands.  If I did the move, I'd gain enough star power to use Sweet Feast and save Mario (he was down to about 3 HP and I had no items or FP left), and then after I finished that battle I would get the single star point I needed to level up and everything would be refilled for my last fight.  If I missed the command I'd be killed on my next turn, one level away from the boss.  I managed to pull it off though, and I beat the Pit.  Yay!

(Koops's shell attacks are the only ones I've noticed where you can actually pull off more than one Stylish command in a single attack.  Can all the characters do that?  I really need to buy the Timing Tutor.)

Edited by - Wanwan on 10/31/2004 11:18:36 PM
Chiichana mune, okkina hitomi . . .

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2004, 01:39:03 AM »
I think that's a Jolly Good Show as a War for Paper Mario Series!

Shawne Vinson

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2004, 07:19:53 PM »
Very cool.  That pit's certainly some good times.
Yes, there are more multi-stylish moves, such as Yoshi's stomp, and even most of Mario's normal jump/hammer moves (I'm still not completely sure... I haven't used the tutor myself.)
One of the most amusing multi-style moves is the very first badge you get: the power smash (if that's what it's called.)  You can get up to a triple-backflip, and pose at the end of it.
I was also very amused when I realized that tattle's got a stylish opportunity.
Still haven't found one for appealing, though.

Go Moon!

Edited by - Fifth on 11/1/2004 5:23:02 PM
Go Moon!

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2004, 08:25:55 PM »
I got bored with the 100 Trials at Trial #10. I really haven't cleared the game yet, either, so... Erm... ya.

I remember looking for that copyghost (Doopliss in my game) for over an hour after I got his name. D'oh.

Also, I decided to take on Chapter 3. Starting at 12:30 AM. It's likely the longest chapter, but also my favorite... so I HAD to finish it off. Wound up getting Yoshi at something like 1:45 AM. Then I had to name it. Being tired and a bit impatient with myself, I decided to name it:

[capital O with umlat][beta][numeral three][capital L][small i with carrot over it][capital S][small k]

It's pronounced like the word "obelisk". Weeeee.

They have those symbols, thus they MUST be used in naming things.

Weeeee. Spoilers.

~I.S.~
~I.S.~

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2004, 12:41:34 AM »
Tattle's got a Stylish?  Hee!  How do you do it?

Is his name different in different games?  My ghost was Doopliss too.  After I learned his name, I got stuck, because when he would ask me to guess and I'd enter it he would always tell me I was wrong.  It turned out I had copied it down wrong (Dooplis).  Bah!

Web

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2004, 03:46:21 AM »
Every game his name is Doopliss. You still need to get the P, though.

At one of the bosses, I almost died, I had 1 HP left, no FP or SP, and my partner was knocked out. ALL OF THEM.

Then a fork comes and KILLS THE BOSS. I  ended up laughing my head off.

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2004, 06:32:16 PM »
A fork? That's insane!

I was fighting a troupe of Pale Pirahnas once and I was almost dead and the stage backing fell, killed the 3 Pirahnas, and my partner, and left Mario with 1 HP. Fun times.

"Love... How do I explain it? Love tells you when you want to be with a person forever. It makes you feel happy just to see that person happy... smiling, having fun. When you love someone you will do anything to help when he or she is in trouble." -Princess Peach, Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

"Mario`s trying to get it all! Treasures, princesses... Does his greed never end?" -Kammy Koopa, Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door

Kickin' it since 2000.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2004, 07:30:43 PM »
Yea, the first time I went to guess the ghost's name, I was going to go with "Splorky", but I noticed that "p" was gone. D'oh.

I haven't had any close calls, or really strange battles. Or any weird stories. Hmmmm.

~I.S.~
~I.S.~

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2004, 07:28:03 PM »
You guys don't use Timing Tutor?! Every attack has at least two timing opportunities, I think. Attacks like multibounce can have tons.
200 characters and nothing to say.

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2004, 07:39:51 PM »
Nah, I have too much fun trying to figure out the stylish moves myself.
Oh, and tattle's stylish is right after pressing A for tattling, about... a quarter of a second, maybe?

Go Moon!

Edited by - Fifth on 11/3/2004 5:42:02 PM
Go Moon!

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2004, 07:59:24 PM »
I hardly ever try Stylish moves, honestly... And... Timing Tutor? Where is THAT?

~I.S.~
~I.S.~

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2004, 08:57:48 PM »
PIT of 100 TRIALS SPOILERS

Whew, I read this line by line to avoid spoilers but there were none (for me).

Today I went all the way through the Pit. It was INSANE! I was sorely underleveled (21), so if I would have missed a roulette opportunity here or not switched a partner there, I would have been killed about 17 times, thus losing 3.5 hours of progress through said pit. By the last 20 floors, the only way I was staying alive was by earning like 50 Star Points a battle and getting the HP/FP refill from leveling up. One time I got 69 Star Points from a single battle. Then when I got to the end, I almost pooped muh pants. :o

I still won, though, somehow. (How=letting every singly partner absorb as much damage as possible by standing in front of Mario. Also, having a very handy Jelly Ultra. Also, that smog that comes out of the floor is very helpful).

Anyway, I shouldn't have beaten the Pit, but did. It was scary, terrifying, fun, hard, and exhilarating. I was freezing and hungry the whole time, also.

800 thumbs up.

“I’m a stupid fatty and I love to play with my Easy Bake oven.”

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2004, 09:01:04 PM »
P.S. The Stylish for Tattle is very easy. Just press A anytime after you hit A to stop the cursor from immediately after to about half a second after. Just double-tap A. Easier than Fifth made it sound. But I guess if he's not using the Timing Tutor, he wouldn't really know. :) I would tell Steve where it is (or where I got it anyhow), but others here may not want to hear.

“I’m a stupid fatty and I love to play with my Easy Bake oven.”

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2004, 03:49:55 PM »
The Pit was probably my favorite part of TTYD actually, at least the second half of it.  If you're leveled up enough, the first half is very boring, because it's not at all challenging and you never get more than one star point (in fact I don't think I started getting more than one until about the 65th "floor" because Mario was at level 30-something when I beat it).

Oh dude, the most star points I ever got on one battle was 81.  I was fighting some, uh, crap.  I can't remember what kind of enemy it was, but it was one of the kinds that can make more of itself--I think it was a group of Fuzzies actually.  I got down to two Fuzzies and both of them refused to attack me, but would instead create more of themselves.  Then I'd kill the two new Fuzzies, and then the original two Fuzzies would just make more!  I could have ended the battle with an item or special move, but since they weren't attacking me anyway, I decided to get some star points out of it.  After about 15 minutes I had killed something like 40 fuzzies, and finally they stopped calling new ones and started attacking me.  THEN, after I ended the battle, Merlee's curse took effect and doubled my star points.  81 star points for a battle that I only took about 3 points of damage on.

Print