Print

Author Topic: Mario Piano Library  (Read 3457 times)

« on: April 13, 2007, 07:00:37 AM »
Since I can't post yet with my own topic, I took my chances to post this here of my transcription works to contribute the the game music community.

Hi members. I have done the complete transcriptions and arranging for Koji Kondo's Super Mario Brothers 1-3 for the piano. They are complete (I think), meaning that all the music tracks for the games are transcribed and arranged by me.

Because I'm a pianist and a teacher by profession, these arrangements are "Concert Transcriptions". It means that most of these are difficult. But if you are trained classically, you shouldn't have much problems.

I had in mind when I transcribed these for a possible publication with Nintendo's permission. But they denied me the permission so I'm sharing them with everyone. I have always wanted the music scores for these but no complete transcriptions were officially ever made. That's why I decided to make them.

These have taken a long time to do it. Very long time. So I really appreciate your kind posts instead of just taking them without a word of thank you.

So, download them to your heart's content and please, share these with other sites that hosts video game music scores. But please, do NOT link to my original links. Post the scores that you have downloaded.

And most importantly, when or if you ever perform my arrangements, please give ME credit as the transcriber and arranger.

If you have any questions or comment, email me or leave a comment here. And I will NOT take requests for arranging anything else. These took me a long time to write into notes.
Well, here are the links. Enjoy.

Super Mario Brothers 1 Complete Piano Transcriptions
http://www.amigo2.ne.jp/~matsuda/smb1.pdf

Super Mario Brothers 2 Complete Piano Transcriptions
http://www.amigo2.ne.jp/~matsuda/smb2.pdf

Super Mario Brothers 3 Complete Piano Transcriptions
http://www.amigo2.ne.jp/~matsuda/smb3.pdf

Super Mario World Incomplete Piano
http://www.amigo2.ne.jp/~matsuda/smw.pdf
Missing are the following 3:
Castle Theme
Bowser
Koopa Junior

I am working on them but it will take some time. Once I have them finished, I will upload the complete scores again.

Philip

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 04:04:09 PM »
Holy carp! It's magnificent! I spent a good hour just going through all of those. Of course I couldn't play them like a professional, but I got some of them down pretty well. I'm really looking forward to the complete transcription of SMW.

My piano teacher scoffs indignantly at the mere mention of performing music from a video game.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 06:34:05 PM »
If you chose certain Final Fantasy pieces (for example) without mentioning the source, I think you could get away with it... non-gamers tend to be amazed when they find out that such beautiful music could possibly come from a video game.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 12:16:11 AM »
That's how I fooled our temporary orchestra director into playing my arrangement of some Zelda music.

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 09:34:28 PM »
Yeah, trick your teacher into helping you with Sleepless City Treno from FFIX and then once you've learned it completely, play it at a recital or something and afterwards announce to the massive audience, "This song is from one of those electronic video games and my teacher wouldn't have let me play it if she knew!"

Mad props to pskim!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 01:44:14 AM »
Pretty cool! Too bad I can't play a piano...
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 08:27:14 PM »
I could probably play SMB 1 Underwater, which I sometimes call 'Watery Waltz'.  I took some piano lessons back in middle school.  I didn't continue them, but after seeing that Underworld piano transcription, I kinda wish I did.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 08:28:11 PM »
I can play the Overworld theme on the violin.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007, 09:06:00 PM »
I can play almost the entire soundtrack of SMB on my clarinet. It's one of the first things I taught myself how to play back when I was still learning (I would come to TMK looking for sheet music all the time).

Then, I learned some SMW, and Kirby. I haven't played my clarinet all that much since graduating from high school, but I did get a keyboard for Chirstmas after graduating, and have since learned (and am still learning) how to play game music on the keyboard (It's electronic, and the default first musical tone is that of a piano, so technically, I can play Mario on the piano).

I'll have to figure out how to record myself sometime, for all to see/hear. :)
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2007, 09:36:02 PM »
I've suggested in previous years to my conductors to play some sort of medley from various Nintendo games, but they were always against the idea.

My current band conductor I've spoken with the most is only 8 years older than me. How he dislikes video games when he grew up around the same time arcades were popular and the time of the release of the NES confuses me a little....Maybe it was his mother. She didn't seem to be the type of parent that'd let his son play those things. (Yes, I've met her.)

Though we're going to have tons of time after the concert and trip, maybe I can try to do what Suffix did with his conductor.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 06:44:57 AM »
The most my peers and I have ever gotten for talking our band instructor in to letting us play VG tunes was Starman for pep band and my friend and I play the Mario theme on our saxophones for talent show.  Our Mario was very distracting.  My friend and I went braindead when we saw him jump in.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Print