The course map
5 (26.3%)
The speedometer
5 (26.3%)
The racers doing laps around the frame
9 (47.4%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Print

Author Topic: Mario Kart 64 HUD  (Read 4369 times)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« on: January 02, 2012, 11:38:52 PM »
I am a fan of relatively useless and unnecessary options and features in games that are apparently there just for the heck of it, and Mario Kart 64's little changing HUD is one such thing.

I liked the third one with the racers going around the screen. It showed, roughly, what was happening to everyone at any given time, and I was crazy enough to enjoy paying attention to how bad Luigi was blowing up in 8th place over and over again.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 12:22:47 AM »
Dude I agree with you on that one. Especially on Wario Stadium 'cause you could actually see if people failed to make that ramp jump.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 12:23:45 AM »
Good poll.

For years I never changed it off the default map but eventually I and the people I played with grew tired of the random-winner races and chaotic battles and realized that time trial competition was the most interesting way to compete. I then switched to speedometer to compare relative character speeds and the effects of boosts. So I vote speedometer.

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 07:09:58 AM »
I'm a boring person!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 12:51:29 PM »
If everything were exciting, nothing would be
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 09:08:51 PM »
I don't know.. I like the map and the speedometer. The racers going around the edge (or through the middle in multiplay) is almost the same as the map except you can see who's who (except on Yoshi Valley).

Edit: I actually went with the racers going around the edge. I feel like it and the map are throwbacks to the first game, where the bottom screen served both purposes.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 09:21:48 PM by Toad »
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 01:14:14 PM »
I stick with the course map, but part of that is because I forget that you can change the HUD. 
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 08:30:17 PM »
That sounds terribly suspicious.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Print