Print

Author Topic: Centaurio  (Read 3826 times)

« on: November 12, 2000, 12:12:16 AM »
Everybody here knows about how Nintendo originally wanted to put in a "Centaur Mario" power-up in Mario Bros. 3, right?

Well, I was just wondering, were there ever any screenshots or concept drawings, or just plain old information about this?  It sounds pretty cool, and I always like "behind-the-scenes" sort of stuff.  Deezer?
Haters gonna hate

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2000, 06:24:35 AM »
Oh, I didn't know anything about having a "Centaur Mario" powerup in Super Mario Bros. 3...

Where did you hear that?

Mario Maniac!!
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2000, 02:59:12 PM »
That's the thing, "Centaur Mario" was never put in.  I read it in an article celebrating the NES's anniversary, if you want, I can try and find the URL for it.

ps- Please don't think I'm making this up.  Starting up videogame rumors is lame.
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2000, 04:05:56 PM »
That's very interesting! I wonder why they didn't put that in the game? It would have been really super nifty! :)
I like cheese!

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2000, 05:44:14 PM »
"Centuar" sounds Japanese to me. Perhaps the item wasn't included in the USA version of Super Mario bro. 3 at all.

Ironfoot (a.k.a. Zero)
Moderator at Nintentrix.com

Webmaster of Wario Castle (Coming soon)

Edited by - Ironfoot on 11/14/2000 3:45:21 PM
Did you meet my Siberian Monkey?

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2000, 05:55:16 PM »
Ironfoot-You're either joking or you're stupid.  "Centaur" is latin, from the Greek "Kent Taur" and refers to a mythical race that were various combinations of  human and horse parts.  I don't know if there's an equivalent in Japanese folklore.  "Centaurio" is an obvious combination of "Centaur" and "Mario."

Billy Chilly-No, I'd never heard of a Centaur
suit, but it sounds cool.  The only power I know of that was scrapped in preproduction was the leaf/raccoon in "Super Mario Bros. 4" (that's "Super Mario World" to the purists) which was reprogrammed to look like a feather/cape but can apparently be seen in its original form in the arcade version.

Lee "Mega 2" Sherman

Sneaky Lying Cheating Giant Ninja Koopa

Edited by - Mega 2 on 11/14/2000 3:56:32 PM
Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2000, 10:53:50 AM »
Arcade version of SMW? WOW! Do they still have it at arcades?

Mario Maniac!!
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2000, 01:19:29 AM »
I heard about the Centaur thing too. I can't remember where, though.

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2000, 03:58:04 PM »
I don't know if it's still in arcades.  I've received all my information secondhand.

Lee "Mega 2" Sherman

Sneaky Lying Cheating Giant Ninja Koopa
Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2000, 06:20:05 PM »
Yeah, there was a topic about the SMW arcade game awhile back.  In my own quest for information about this (rare) game, all I found was a few pictures of hardware and one or two bids on eBay for assorted parts.  Sadly, no screenshots or other game info.
Someone set up us the bomb!

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2000, 07:16:41 PM »
I know there was going to be a mario three but that game...hhmmm....i wonder

(Yoshi sits down and starts thinking. very hard.)
Break me...I dare you.

Print