Print

Author Topic: Original coins  (Read 2268 times)

« on: February 04, 2006, 01:17:00 PM »
I noticed tons of games have objects you can collect. DK's bananas, Crash Bandicoot's appels, Sonics rings, GTA 4's packages, ect.

So, is everybody posing off Super Mario Bros. coins, or was there a game before it where you could collect a large amount of something?

( besides Pac-man in which case you had to get the little balls )
Senior Mariology professor

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 02:53:45 PM »
Pitfall was probably the game that originated all the item collecting.
"At Dukar, we place our emphasis on serving you, supporting
you, and helping you be as successful as possible."

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 06:41:42 PM »
And Banjo Kazooie's Musical Notes, get 100 get a 1-Up. Same with Kiby Canvas Curse's Point Stars.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 11:02:35 AM »
I agree. It's not Mario ripping-off, but rather just a game cliche. You know, get 100 whatzits and you get an extra life. Same thing in Turok, Kirby, Donkey Kong, and even Doom, to an extent. It's not ripping Mario off (it's a negative and monotonous feature, in my opinion) but, rather, it's become the accepted norm for a game. You can get a game and not even know the name or read the instruction manual, but you know that if you find some item that the game keeps track of how many you collected, then your instinct is to get 100 of 'em. Exploding barrels have become an annoying cliche (you shoot them, they always explode), and Doom was the first FPS to feature them. Now, all FPSs have exploding barrels. But that doesn't mean they're ripping off Doom, now, does it?
every

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 11:12:55 AM »
without collecting something, (ammo, health, money, stuff that gives you points, guns, bannanas, stars, food, coins, or the occaisional 1up thingamagig) games would probably seem pointless. Its like using a game shark so you dont have to get it, but it is fun to have your charicter do funny things...

BTW "Halo" dosent have exploding "barrels" BUT it has exploding cars, and box things called "buggers"

Print