Muslim
1 (1.8%)
Other (Please Explain)
9 (16.4%)
Atheist
18 (32.7%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Print

Author Topic: What's Your Religion?  (Read 130210 times)

« Reply #165 on: October 24, 2008, 01:19:14 PM »
Uh, the Earth is about 4.54 billion years old, not 4 million. Also, I think the number crazy people throw around is more like 6000.

Uh, I said a rock, not the earth itself.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #166 on: October 24, 2008, 04:03:17 PM »
Ehh wot?
every

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #167 on: October 26, 2008, 06:00:41 PM »
You never back up anything you say with anything. All you do is claim one thing is wrong and other things or right and that's the way it should be. Since you put your ends of the arguments that way, the rest of us shouldn't be obligated to listen to you, even though you act like we should.

You're wrong.

The primary reason they believed that is because that's what it said in the Bible. Science would be so far ahead right now without religion.

And the man who disproved the geocentric theory was a Christian.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #168 on: October 26, 2008, 06:02:33 PM »
No, you're wrong.

Maybe that second point is a sign that the Christians might actually be learning something about their beliefs. Something to the effect of ...not everything in the Bible should be taken as absolute fact and that there are some scientific things that take precedence over it.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #169 on: October 26, 2008, 06:16:20 PM »
The Bible is defined by God, whose word takes precedence over science.  Science is something created by God to help us understand the world, not something we can distort and abuse run away from Him.

I'm not perfect.  I don't pretend that I know everything.  My arguments are not perfect, either.  If you want me to expound or be more clear, ask me.  Don't complain about it.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 06:22:58 PM by Turtlekid1 »
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #170 on: October 26, 2008, 09:42:26 PM »
Funny... that last sentence perfectly describes me.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #171 on: November 01, 2008, 10:28:06 PM »
"Other". Technically, I'm an atheist, as I do not believe in any religion. However, I do not completely dismiss the existence of a "higher power".

Wouldn't that be Unitarian then? Isn't that where you do practice a certain religion, but you do believe in God, Heaven, etc.?
Formerly quite reasonable.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #172 on: November 01, 2008, 10:32:48 PM »
Isn't that where you don't practice a certain religion, but you do believe in God, Heaven, etc.?
That's what you meant, right?

Like I said, I don't believe in God and I really don't think there is a God. Nevertheless, it is blind belief on the opposite end of the spectrum to say with absolute confidence that there is no God, so I don't.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #173 on: November 01, 2008, 11:19:44 PM »
Don't confuse religion with belief. I mean, I like to believe in God, but I find religions to be royally screwed up.

Unitarians take elements from whatever religion and kind of blend them into one church service.
That was a joke.

Jake

• Mr. Manure
« Reply #174 on: November 03, 2008, 04:22:31 PM »
I am a Solitary Wiccan. I chose Wicca mainly because I felt that it reflected most of my views.
Professional Paisano here

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #175 on: November 03, 2008, 06:11:47 PM »
The Bible is defined by God

WRONG. Huge misconception by many Christians and others alike. The Bible is a "historical" record of the Biblical era, which is used to convey the message of God's word. I say historical in quotes because a lot of the Bible is metaphorical (I.e. Noah's Ark, the world didn't actually flood.) and that depending on your beliefs, certain things may or may not have really happened in your mind (such as Jesus not really being the Son of God).

See, the biggest problem with religion is that people take it wayyy too literally. That's why we have radical Muslims who blow up cars to get into heaven. It's not just religious people either, it's atheists who obsessively try to debunk religion as well. Is religion bad? No. Just like most things in life, it's ruined by halfwits who defile it unknowingly. Realistically, religion is a wonderful thing when used correctly. It's when you have bigotted, ignorant, fundamentalist, Christian ******bags who throw away hundreds of dollars of their twenty one year old son's 360 games out because they fear it will corrupt him (true story about my friend by the by), that you encounter problems.

And atheists, don't think you're all innocent sitting there in the corner. You do the exact same thing as them. Nearly every time I witness an atheist's angry ramblings about religion, they cite ridiculous stories that are outdated/allegorical in attempts to portray Christians or any religious people as insane idiots. A lot of atheists seem to forget something about science. Nothing in science is 100% proven. Especially elaborate theories like the Big Bang theory. It's funny how atheists are the first ones to denounce religion as a group of people shouting that their opinion is fact and that everyone else is wrong. Simultaneously, atheists are doing the same thing everytime they defend any scientific theory that doesnt include the word "gravity". You can call theists ignorant and stubborn as much as you want, but atheists in general tend to have an arrogant, condescending mindset considering that they have this belief that they know this grand, ultimate truth and that you're this small child who believes in the Easter Bunny (religion) still.

Point and case, religion and science are both flawed, both are not 100%, and both have holes. Any sane, informed individual can see that science and religion are a match made in heaven. The religion, science jointventure works better than any set of scientific theories or religious stories alone could ever hope to.

Where do I sit? I'm a Christian, more accurately a Lutheran since the Catholic Church is insane and a little evil. However, as I said before, religion and science can't rest alone. I belief in evolution and I believe in creationism. I don't believe that prayer alone will get you where you want in life. My principle belief in Christianity is that it, like all religion, should be a standard guideline of morals and ethics. I base my own personal moral system off of that in Christianity. I still believe in Jesus and resurrection and all that jargon, but really I see God as a clockmaker more or less. He sets the clocks and then sits back to watch them work.

And before someone shoots their mouth off calling me a bad Christian or lazy or whatever, spare me your chastisement. I'm a Deacon at my church, that is to say that I attend it regularly and I'm the guy who gives people part of their Communion, including the Pastor herself. I know more about Christianity than probably half of the people who claim to be Christian in this entire country, so I don't want people coming in here to call my ignorant of my religion.
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #176 on: November 03, 2008, 07:35:26 PM »
I never did mention that I'm not an atheist. I'm more of an agnostic. I believe that there's a higher power, but I don't believe in following any sort of religious rules or trying to comprehend said higher power. It's too much for us puny humans. That said, I'll also point out that I sometimes use satirical euphemisms when referring to any higher power/God in conversation, like Primus (the Transformers' equivalent of God) or "the writing staff", in reference to our lives being a TV show and the writers determining everything that happens to us.

A small part of me thinks that last part might actually be true...

« Reply #177 on: November 03, 2008, 07:37:30 PM »
I never did mention that I'm not an atheist. I'm more of an agnostic. I believe that there's a higher power, but I don't believe in following any sort of religious rules or trying to comprehend said higher power. It's too much for us puny humans. That said, I'll also point out that I sometimes use satirical euphemisms when referring to any higher power/God in conversation, like Primus (the Transformers' equivalent of God) or "the writing staff", in reference to our lives being a TV show and the writers determining everything that happens to us.

A small part of me thinks that last part might actually be true...

Agreed, for the most part. And I don't think this higher power cares about it's beings.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #178 on: November 03, 2008, 07:41:00 PM »
How do you agree with a fact I was telling about myself? Better yet, why couldn't you have just responded to that post without quoting it?

« Reply #179 on: November 03, 2008, 07:42:35 PM »
Well I share some aspects of your beliefs. Because I'm lazy.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

Print