Poll

Whatare you favorite comic book publishers?

DC Comics
4 (44.4%)
Marvel Comics
3 (33.3%)
Dark Horse Comics
0 (0%)
Image Comics
0 (0%)
Archie Comics
0 (0%)
Viz
0 (0%)
TOKYOPOP
0 (0%)
ADV
0 (0%)
Other
2 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Print

Author Topic: Favorite Comic Book Publishers  (Read 3758 times)

Jake

• Mr. Manure
« on: November 15, 2008, 07:16:12 AM »
Lately I've been into comic books, and I wanted to know what everyone's favorite comic book publishers are.

I used to read nothing but manga, particularly Shonen Jump manga, and while I still do read manga (mainly One Piece and Dragon Ball) since I began reading other comics I've grown to really like DC Comics. I've always been a fan of the DCAU, but never read the comics until more recently. The comics are quite a joy to read whether they be the latest or ones from the nineties. I've also read a bit of Marvel, but I personally prefer DC.
Professional Paisano here

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 08:54:14 AM »
I have no favorite publisher, though I will make it known that I haven't read any Marvel stuff in ages due to lack of interest (I've heard plenty about what's gone on from my dad and from the Internet, and it just keeps making me lose more and more interest - I think it might be negative now?), and I don't think I've read anything published by Image. Also, instead of Shueisha, shouldn't you have the names of the American manga publishers (TOKYOPOP, Viz, ADV) listed? Also also, shouldn't this be the kind of poll where you can pick multiple options?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 09:34:11 AM »
Where's Top Cow?
every

Jake

• Mr. Manure
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 09:50:57 AM »
^Top Cow is part of Image Comics. I didn't add it for the same reason I didn't add Vertigo, Wildstorm, CMX or Icon Comics. (the former three owned by DC and the latter owned by Marvel).

I have no favorite publisher, though I will make it known that I haven't read any Marvel stuff in ages due to lack of interest (I've heard plenty about what's gone on from my dad and from the Internet, and it just keeps making me lose more and more interest - I think it might be negative now?), and I don't think I've read anything published by Image. Also, instead of Shueisha, shouldn't you have the names of the American manga publishers (TOKYOPOP, Viz, ADV) listed? Also also, shouldn't this be the kind of poll where you can pick multiple options?

Well, I didn't want the poll over crowded with manga translating companies, but whatever, I added them.

I suppose multiple options would've been best. Too bad I can't change that option.
Professional Paisano here

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 09:55:31 AM »
I don't think I know or care enough about comic books to be qualified to vote, but I also think Dark Horse has had some classic stuff in the past (that, and they publish the Penny Arcade compilations).
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 11:02:29 AM »
I "like" Marvel most than others, but continuing comics are really annoying right now because they come up with some giant crossover every 6 months and make it last a year, apparently to make the readers stay interested. It doesn't work. Right now I'm more interested in manga that has a definite end.
That was a joke.

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 11:37:29 AM »
MARVEL

But I've been getting the Archie-published Sonic comics since 1993 so I gotta give them a shout-out.

(Yes, I of course own Archie Meets The Punisher.)

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 12:02:19 PM »
I only buy comics once every few months, but I'd still say Marvel is my favorite since most of my favorite heroes are from Marvel.

Also,
Archie Meets The Punisher
needs to be a movie.
every

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 12:12:21 PM »
The overwhelming majority of my comic book collection is Marvel so I'll vote for them. I don't have any particular bias, I'll buy any brand if I want the comic.

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2008, 01:23:14 PM »
I'm a Marvel/DC guy myself, though I don't go out of the way to collect the comics. I just wait until the rereleases in anthology form. It makes it a whole lot easier.

I agree with Chupperson, the yearly massive crossovers are getting really annoying since it devalues the idea of a team-up, and it sometimes forces readers to buy the other comics to makes sense of most events.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2008, 03:48:15 PM »
MIRAGE STUDIOS!

They publish TMNT;  The four or five comic books I own are all TMNT, and that's it.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 11:45:37 AM »
DC for the sole factor that is Superman.  At least, that would be the case during the silver age.  But I have to say I enjoy Ultimate Spider-Man, because the characters seem to be directing the plot rather than the plot directing the characters (which is what DC does nowadays).

Also, there's good action in it, instead of these "moral battles" fought with emotions and the heart, also a trend DC seems to have adopted.  That and John Byrne are why Superman now stinks.  Seriously, I don't go to comics of the action-genre for touchy feely moments.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 06:23:54 PM »
Wait, John Byrne, one of the principal forces in good comics, is why Superman is bad? What?
That was a joke.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 09:39:35 PM »
In that he weakened the Silver Age Superman until all he could deal with were emotional battles.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Print