Poll

Is R.O.B. a Mario character now?

Yes
4 (16%)
No
21 (84%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Print

Author Topic: Is R.O.B. officially part of the Mario gang?  (Read 14383 times)

« on: March 16, 2007, 12:05:32 AM »
So now that everyone's favorite Robotic Operating Buddy is a driver in Mario Kart DS, does anyone think we'll see him in future Mario titles?  Do you want him in future Mario titles?

I hope so... I love R.O.B. and I'd love to see him stick his adorable robotic head into the next Mario Party or Kart or Sports.  He's a helluva lot cooler than Daisy, Waluigi or Bowser Jr., that's for sure, and since I doubt Nintendo will make R.O.B. 2.0 for the Wii, I want him to live on in gaming somehow.  I'm very curious as to what kind of roles the little robot will have in the future (in Mario and non-Mario games). 

On the flip side though, I can see how some would see him as not "really" a Mario character.  He started as a peripheral for the NES, he's made cameos in F-Zero GX and the box art of Viewtiful Joe.  Anybody not want to see him in more Mario games? 
Haters gonna hate

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 08:32:04 AM »
He's dumb. Partly it's fan service (his recent appearances), but more than anything else I think its Nintendo's embarassing habit to take every charcter in their games and act like they meant it went they came up with them (do you think Princess Daisy was meant to end up where she is now?). If they want to make the Power Glove or DK Bongos a character in the future, then full speed ahead.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 09:55:40 AM »
He's dumb. Partly it's fan service (his recent appearances), but more than anything else I think its Nintendo's embarassing habit to take every charcter in their games and act like they meant it went they came up with them (do you think Princess Daisy was meant to end up where she is now?). If they want to make the Power Glove or DK Bongos a character in the future, then full speed ahead.

Power Glove's Mattel... :D

Anyway, I wouldn't consider him any more of a Mario character than, say, Pac-Man...

(no I don't consider Pac-Man to be a Mario character)

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 01:45:57 PM »
He should appear in more Nintendo games in general. [Edit] I'd kill to see a newer version of him made for the Wii.

~Don't swear. Yes, using that word that way is swearing. ~Sapph
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 02:24:54 PM by Sapphira »

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 01:50:09 PM »
Nah, ROB's dead and won't come back, he just a fill in for more important characters character.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 06:35:17 PM »
By no means. Just a bleh character as a filler for the twelvth so we can't have anyone really good and say, "Why do we need a heavier character than Bowser? Why not a GOOD character that DESERVES to be a recurring Mario character, like Fawful or somebody?" Well, too much of a good thing... R.O.B. as a Mario Kart DS racer is better than, say... Bowser Jr...
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 07:21:01 PM »
If there's any justice in the world, he will disappear into obscurity again, free from our minds, especially since his appearance in Mario Kart DS ruled out the inclusion of Diddy Kong, which totally sucks.

Not to mention he lacks personality.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 07:41:06 PM »
Meh, I hate Rob the Robot. He's pathetic as a character, and was pathetic as a toy too.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 08:44:15 PM »
I own a ROB. Sort of. His head broke off when he fell at work and now his neck is limp. And so I took him for nothing.
That was a joke.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2007, 07:11:04 AM »
My mother bought two ROBs off Ebay after we saw them in the museum section of the Nintendo World store. I can't get either of them to work.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2007, 09:11:47 AM »
You can't make anything from the NES era work anymore these days, people should have realized by now.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2007, 12:49:45 PM »
Uh, what! That isn't correct.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2007, 02:42:41 PM »
ROB is an awsome blast from the past! I look forward to future appearances of this dude (if any). Of course with arms like his (or it), he'd most be likely considered an invention of E. Gadd's. 
Werid Fortune Cookies- Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2007, 03:10:45 PM »
Except he isn't. He was invented by Professor Hector.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2007, 03:17:33 PM »
I don't think he is quite yet. Maybe if ROB appears in one of the main Mario games (not what TMK considers to be spin-offs), then I would say yes.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2007, 03:18:08 PM »
Just checking in to make sure "No" was winning.

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2007, 03:27:37 PM »
I hope "no" stays ahead of "yes" for the rest of the poll. I hate R.O.B.

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2007, 09:34:03 PM »
Mario character or not, I don't get why people hate characters created or renewed in spin-offs. First people hated Waluigi, then Toadette, and people also dislike Bowser Jr. when I think he's a pretty awesome character (though he wasn't created in a spin-off, nor was ROB). Fine, you could hate them for some other reason, like Daisy for being annoying with her constant "HI I'M DAISY" but hating them JUST BECAUSE THEY WERE CREATED OR RENEWED IN A SPIN-OFF TO COMPLIMENT ANOTHER CHARACTER?

Are you people so afraid of change you have to constantly complain about this?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 09:37:06 PM by Vidgmchtr »
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2007, 11:47:20 PM »
I hate ROB because there are several other Mario characters that could have been included in his place, and he really wasn't that cool of a toy. I'm prepared to get "rebuttified" by anyone who thinks my opinion is a bad reason, stupid, etc.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2007, 11:49:35 PM »
Well, at least it wasn't Petey Piranha. Personally, I would have preferred a Boo or maybe King Boo over Dry Bones and that confounded plastic thing any day.

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2007, 07:51:43 AM »
Ditto. I don't understand why Dry Bones is becoming a main character in the spin-off titles. Yeah, he's been around for a long time, bt he's not that important when compared to say, mabey a goomba or koopa. Yeah, a Goomba would've been awesome.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2007, 08:35:13 AM »
I actually think Dry Bones is cooler than a Koopa Troopa. It would also be kinda cool if they gave drones like him a bit of a background, as in a name and identity. Like Krunch from DKR or Koopa T. Quick from SM64.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2007, 11:36:14 AM »
Because Dry Bones pwns.
Also, all my NES stuff works. My ROB is in an advanced state of disrepair so it doesn't work fully at the moment.
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2007, 04:50:05 PM »
Ditto. I don't understand why Dry Bones is becoming a main character in the spin-off titles. Yeah, he's been around for a long time, bt he's not that important when compared to say, mabey a goomba or koopa. Yeah, a Goomba would've been awesome.
Yeah, so long a time that he's dead. XD
Maybe Dry Bones is the same Koopa from Super Mario Kart... only, dead!
I'm fine with Waluigi and would be fine with Daisy if there was a DUCT TAPE option. R.O.B., though (check this out) robs any other good Mario character of a Mario Kart DS position. Like Fawful.
It's YOUR problem!

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2007, 06:27:25 PM »
Fawful for President!
Regards, Uncle Dolan

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2007, 06:44:23 PM »
Let's not go too far now.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 07:00:31 PM by SushieBoy »

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2007, 06:59:09 PM »
Sushieboy had two grammar mistakes in his last post. Just thought BP should know.  :D
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 07:07:23 PM by PaperLuigi »

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2007, 07:00:13 PM »
Bah, you got me!

EDIT: You have two mistakes too!

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2007, 07:01:55 PM »
Hehehe! I might not have said anything if not for BP.

EDIT: Where?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 07:03:41 PM by PaperLuigi »

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2007, 07:02:56 PM »
Oops, double post.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2007, 07:05:16 PM »
Well for starters, you didn't capitalize the B in SushieBoy, and you spelled Grammar wrong!

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2007, 07:07:02 PM »
So that'd be a spelling mistake. Sorry for not capitalizing the "B".  XD BP's gonna murder us.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2007, 07:09:38 PM »
Who is XD BP? gasp
That was a joke.

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2007, 07:11:26 PM »
BP's evil clone!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2007, 07:11:49 PM »
I thought it was Xtra Dimensional Bird Person. He's Bird Person's counterpart from a parallel universe who dedicated his life to keeping the many dimensions in check after his own world was destroyed in some cataclysmic event having to do with bad grammar.

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2007, 07:28:22 PM »
Mario character or not, I don't get why people hate characters created or renewed in spin-offs. First people hated Waluigi, then Toadette, and people also dislike Bowser Jr. when I think he's a pretty awesome character (though he wasn't created in a spin-off, nor was ROB). Fine, you could hate them for some other reason, like Daisy for being annoying with her constant "HI I'M DAISY" but hating them JUST BECAUSE THEY WERE CREATED OR RENEWED IN A SPIN-OFF TO COMPLIMENT ANOTHER CHARACTER?

Are you people so afraid of change you have to constantly complain about this?

Toadette and Waluigi = Unoriginality. I mean, it sounds like they spent 10 seconds in a boardroom just brainstorming an idea then running with it. I believe Bowser Jr. also falls under this category, but then again I hate all Koopa Kids equally.

I'm fine with Waluigi and would be fine with Daisy if there was a DUCT TAPE option. R.O.B., though (check this out) robs any other good Mario character of a Mario Kart DS position. Like Fawful.

Fawful is a one trick pony who lost his appeal once I played Partners in Time. Then again, that game made everything suck.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2007, 08:14:06 PM »
I don't have time to determine who needs to be killed, so I'll just get in the steamroller. It's really efficient, all you need to know is how to turn it on.
Just for the record again, I liked Partners in Time. What exactly is wrong with it?
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2007, 06:35:06 AM »
^ You can beat it in, like, two days.

Hey, there's an idea! Put a Shroob in some other game, already!
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2007, 08:11:37 AM »

Just for the record again, I liked Partners in Time. What exactly is wrong with it?

You should use the roller on Wiggles now.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2007, 01:26:17 PM »
Why do so many people hate Waluigi?  All sandwiches need mustard or mayo to be complete.  Well, Waluigi is like the mustard or mayo to the Wario sandwich.  Sure he might not be considered original, but think of it this way: Mario has an evil clone, why can't Luigi?  Wario basically started out as what Waluigi is: a twisted version of a Mario brother.  If Waluigi ever gets his own game, we'd all learn more about him, and maybe appreciate him more.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2007, 01:41:56 PM »
Give Waluigi his own game? He hasn't even made an actual appearance in a big title yet. He was made simply to take up space and serve as a partner for Wario. Plus, Wario has become much more than an "evil clone" in recent years.

I believe Waluigi has potential should he ever be used in a major game, but at the current rate, he's pretty much forgettable, given that all the Mario RPGs thrive on characters specifically created for them, Nintendo EAD doesn't put out big Mario games often, and even then sticks to the old "Save Peach" plot, and Wario has his own series in which Waluigi has yet to appear in.

Also keep in mind the only reason I think Waluigi could be good if used correctly is only based on how he acts the the minor Mario games. The intros to Mario Power Tennis and Mario Golf TT come to mind.

« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2007, 09:38:19 PM »
Forgive me for being a fanboy maniac, but Waluigi is awesome. He's hilarious, funny looking and has all the qualities of a bumbling sidekick/evil doer. He reminds my of one of my favorite childhood villians Dick Dastardly; this alone makes him awesome. And ding-dang it, Luigi has a rival in him. I'd love to have Waluigi in his own game.

« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2007, 09:57:33 PM »
Bowser Jr. gets hated on too much here, as well. I like him, he made me laugh in Sunshine, even more than Petey Piranha.

Maybe Jr. isn't ready for his own adventure, but I'm sure Bowser is. I'd like to play a game from the main antagonist's point of view.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2007, 12:43:48 PM »
Forgive me for being a fanboy maniac, but Waluigi is awesome. He's hilarious, funny looking and has all the qualities of a bumbling sidekick/evil doer. He reminds my of one of my favorite childhood villians Dick Dastardly; this alone makes him awesome. And ding-dang it, Luigi has a rival in him. I'd love to have Waluigi in his own game.

That's jumping the gun. Luigi and Wario had to work for their own games. Waluigi hasn't made a legit appearance yet.

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2007, 02:40:15 PM »
I said that I'd love to have him in his own game. I never said he deserves it.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2007, 05:24:56 PM »
^ You can beat it in, like, two days.

Hey, there's an idea! Put a Shroob in some other game, already!
If you mean a literal two days, that's really long. If you mean off-and-on two days, like a few hours then you're sup3r-l33t (0r m3), and if you mean like, about one week (which is about how long my third playthrough took, totaling about 15 hours) then, okay. But hey, I could beat Paper Mario or perhaps PM:TTYD in 15 hours or less. Or M&L:SS. I suppose it was shorter than the other Mario RPGs. You can still beat SMB in some 30 minutes.
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2007, 05:52:49 PM »
It took me precisely 25 hours total at one hour per night to complete DK64 101%.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2007, 05:56:00 PM »
You can still beat SMB in some 30 minutes.
I once saw a video of two guys racing each other in SMB. I think they took about six minutes to beat it.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2007, 06:04:50 PM »
Well, I'm saying if you don't warp. I never warp. I've never recorded a time for playing all the way through SMB.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2007, 06:57:50 AM »
I like when games are pretty short. Far too often a game drags on and shiny new games lure me away before completion with their charms. In fact, this has happened both times I tried to play PiT. I still haven't beaten it!

(For the record, I've beaten the other 4 Mario RPGs no problem.)

« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2007, 03:49:01 PM »
You people really don't get how this works.

A non-Mario character just being in one game for a bit doesn't make them "pure Mario" now.

It was just a little gimmick they included, mainly to amplify their obsession with the darn thing.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2007, 07:37:19 PM »
You speak as if the poll results aren't 16 to 3 in the favor of "No."
It's YOUR problem!

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2007, 08:14:13 PM »
Perhaps he didn't vote and/or see the results.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2007, 10:40:15 AM »
It was just a little gimmick they included, mainly to amplify their obsession with the darn thing.

More like to add a little more fun into the game for oldschool gamers.
That was a joke.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2007, 05:31:49 PM »
He reminds my of one of my favorite childhood villians Dick Dastardly; this alone makes him awesome.
That's exactly who I was reminded of when I first saw Waluigi!
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2007, 05:37:48 PM »
He also looks like the Purple Pieman.

Fwirt

• Now in Cherry
« Reply #56 on: April 09, 2007, 09:21:47 PM »
Who the heck is the Purple Pieman?!  He does bear some resemblance to Waluigi though...  Didn't Waluigi just suddenly show in in Mario Tennis as a partner for Wario?  Oh well, I dislike Mario Tennis anyway.

Not to be confused with Mario's Tennis.  That game rocks.
"Say, you good at video games?  I'm not good at video games.  The last time I fired up one of my old Sega tapes it made me a waffle."

« Reply #57 on: April 09, 2007, 09:39:34 PM »
The purple pieman is a character from Strawberry Shortcake. I've never seen the show, but I looked him up, and this is what it said:

"The Purple Pieman was introduced in Strawberry Shortcake's first adventure, The World of Strawberry Shortcake, where he succeeded in flooding Strawberryland and stealing all the berries in the valley. This was, unfortunately, the closest the Pieman ever came to a decisive victory over Strawberry Shortcake. Hereafter, the Purple Pieman merely harassed the residents of Strawberryland. He admitted in Strawberry Shortcake in Big Apple City that he has an 'evil conscience,' but he rarely does anything that is more than mildly mischievous.

The Purple Pieman lives in a ramshackle tower of cookware dubbed Porcupine Peak. In his tower, he has a wealth of baking supplies, such as ovens, pans, and dough. The Pieman also possesses a magic pie tin, which he sometimes uses to spy on the residents of Strawberryland. While he is a clever liar and cheat, he is an admittedly poor baker. The Purple Pieman frequently refers to himself in the third person, and always performs a quick jig after doing so. He dislikes snakes and Sour Grapes' singing, but hates Strawberry Shortcake's 'Berry Talk' above all else.

The Purple Pieman has a flock of Berry Birds, which he uses to steal berries and eavesdrop on the denizens of Strawberryland. The largest Berry Bird is called Captain Cackle."

I got this from wikipedia, so the information might be off.

Print