Print

Author Topic: The HOPEFUL thread: Be happy here!  (Read 1273299 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #4095 on: April 11, 2009, 01:05:44 PM »
I had a feeling someone would bring those two up... What was it about them that's missing from newer games? Hairdressing? Turning acorns into Pokeballs? A cave full of Slowpokes?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4096 on: April 11, 2009, 01:46:19 PM »
Kanto, three years after, dude. I'd buy Platinum if you could visit Hoenn three years after Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. It's supposed that those games and the original adventures of RED take place simultaneously, while Gold/Silver/Crystal take place around the same time as Diamond/Pearl/Platinum.

There's that and so much more charm about Gold and Silver that needs to not be in obsolete Game Boy form. Most of my favorites were introduced in Generation II.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #4097 on: April 11, 2009, 02:16:57 PM »
My favorite was introduced in the first segment of the first game, provided you made the correct decision.  Whether you chose Squirtle directly, or Charmander, you're going to run into it pretty early on.

But Gen II had lots of Pokemon I like, even if they aren't first place in my book.

Cyndaquil, Steelix, Porygon2, Umbreon, Tyranitar, Suicune, etc.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #4098 on: April 11, 2009, 02:36:32 PM »
Pokémon Yellow was my only Pokémon game until Platinum. It's kinda like how Legend of Zelda for NES was my only LoZ game until Twilight Princess. I remember that Super Smash Bros. got me interested in Pokémon (especially the anime), and I borrowed Yellow from my next door neighbor for a while. I lost complete interest for almost 7 or so years, until Super Smash Bros. Brawl got me interested again. Then my college buddies (who were big Pokémon fans when they were young) and I bought the entire first season of the anime on DVD, and we LOVE it. Now I own Platinum and have clocked 13 hours into it so far.

« Reply #4099 on: April 11, 2009, 03:12:55 PM »
Looks like I need to get a Platinum some time.

« Reply #4100 on: April 11, 2009, 04:30:40 PM »
I haven't even beat Diamond. I will maybe quite possibly get Platinum after beating Diamond.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

« Reply #4101 on: April 11, 2009, 07:52:42 PM »
Kanto, three years after, dude. I'd buy Platinum if you could visit Hoenn three years after Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. It's supposed that those games and the original adventures of RED take place simultaneously, while Gold/Silver/Crystal take place around the same time as Diamond/Pearl/Platinum.

There's that and so much more charm about Gold and Silver that needs to not be in obsolete Game Boy form. Most of my favorites were introduced in Generation II.

Three years later, and there's absolutely nothing worth seeing. Safari Zone, Musuem, Silph Co, and the Unknown Dungeon are all closed, the Pokemon Tower was reduced to one building, the Viridian Forest simply becomes a small maze, Mt. Moon and the Seafoam Islands are pathetically small, the Power Plant is absolutely worthless, Cinnabar Island is nothing, the Elite Four are an absolute joke and the lack of Rocket organization made it a waste of a trip.

I don't buy this belief that Gold/Silver are the pinnacle of Pokemon. The games took many step forwards, but Diamond/Pearl perfected them. The only thing they have would be the ability to fight the old gym leaders again, but that served no purpose at all. Fighting Red again was the best thing about those games, but it's no reason to put these two on a pedestal when superior entries have usurped them.

That is why I couldn't care less if the two titles were remade. I'm happy playing with 4th gen monsters and playing people online.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #4102 on: April 12, 2009, 07:24:41 AM »
Well, yeah, that stuff's smaller--you pretty much did all of it earlier. Same reason why the world of the original Dragon Quest is abridged at the end of DQ3.

For the record, I really need to go back and play Pokemon Gold, as I don't think I ever even beat the Elite Four. The clock is on the fritz last I checked, though, but what do you expect...
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4103 on: April 12, 2009, 03:13:43 PM »
Yeah, Gold, Silver and Crystal are prone to being broken because the clock sucked the save battery dry. It just so happens that that's expected to happen after seven years or so, and it's been nine since they were released. My Gold cart and my friend's Silver still work, but for how long... how long until no one in the world can legally play Gold, Silver or Crystal?

The Elite Four was super easy in G/S/C, since they weren't really at the end of the story. That's another great reason they should be remade. The recent trend of the Elite Four getting stronger after being defeated could potentially make them toughen up twice, even. And haven't the Gym Leaders been doing that since Emerald as well? Good.

Also, the lack of things to do in Kanto was kind of the Game Boy's fault. There wasn't much room for anything excessive. In remakes, there could be more.

One last thing... most of Kanto's gym leaders looked slightly older in G/S/C but BLUE and RED used their sprites from Yellow. What gives?
It's YOUR problem!

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #4104 on: April 12, 2009, 03:37:28 PM »
Their looks didn't change much from ten to thirteen.

I'd love tenth anniversary remakes of G/S for the DS.

« Reply #4105 on: April 12, 2009, 05:14:15 PM »
I can't see how one would justify saying that D/P perfected the elements of Pokemon games. For one, the veritable flood of legendaries really dilutes the experience of catching any of them. The plethora of unnescessary evolutions of first- and second-generation Pokemon and their contrived evolutionary methods don't aid the cause either.

That being said, I do thoroughly enjoy Pearl, and Platinum even moreso. Saying that they cannot be improved upon, however, is blasphemy, madness and Sparta.

Back to G/S/C: Would it even be nescessary to include Kanto in the adventure? As long as the updated Johto is fleshed-out enough in its own right, most gamers would be down wit' it. Personally, as long as PRZCUREBERRYs can be harvested, I'll be content.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4106 on: April 12, 2009, 05:26:41 PM »
It's not that revisiting Kanto was necessary. It's that it was awesome.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #4107 on: April 13, 2009, 07:07:52 PM »
I can't see how one would justify saying that D/P perfected the elements of Pokemon games. For one, the veritable flood of legendaries really dilutes the experience of catching any of them. The plethora of unnecessary evolutions of first- and second-generation Pokemon and their contrived evolutionary methods don't aid the cause either.

I agree that the massive influx of legendaries is getting ridiculous, but its not like you even need to capture or use them. Battle Tower/Frontier challenges ban their use, as well as most official tournaments. Therefore, they're more like trophies if anything.

The extra evolutions may not be needed, but they definitely helped out some of them. Before the 4th gen, hardly anyone was using Tangela or Lickitung. Their evolutions have given them a much needed boost, and a solid movepool.

That being said, I do thoroughly enjoy Pearl, and Platinum even moreso. Saying that they cannot be improved upon, however, is blasphemy, madness and Sparta.

I never said they can't be improved upon. I meant that they took many of Gold/Silver's concepts and perfected them.

Back to G/S/C: Would it even be nescessary to include Kanto in the adventure? As long as the updated Johto is fleshed-out enough in its own right, most gamers would be down wit' it. Personally, as long as PRZCUREBERRYs can be harvested, I'll be content.

It wouldn't matter, it's friggin Pokemon. The title would fly of the rack as soon as it was stocked.

Kanto would probably stay just because people would whine endlessly if it was cut, but I'd hope they give it more depth than being treaded ground with some gym leaders to fight. Maybe take some points from the Battle Frontiers and include some new challenges.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #4108 on: April 13, 2009, 10:04:46 PM »
Indeed -- Perhaps a new Battle Frontier could be crammed into that route just east of Olivine, where Crystal's Battle Tower resided.

Personally, I'd kill everyone in this forum (no offense, guys) for a Pokemon game in which the Gym Leaders' Pokemon actually come close to matching one's own current highest levels.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4109 on: April 13, 2009, 10:44:37 PM »
The thing is, there's no real need to add anything like that to Johto when Kanto has plenty of room for all the modern after-game extras. All the Battle Frontier stuff could be scattered across Kanto. The building the man in Vermilion was preparing to make in R/G/B/Y/FR/LG and couldn't afford to start in G/S/C, Team Rocket's base under the Game Corner in Celadon, the Trainer Hall in Viridian... Kanto has a lot of potential. Perhaps, after defeating RED, Cinnabar Island would be reconstructed, where Blaine rebuilds his Gym and more stuff to do could be found. And the Safari Zone was only "closed" because it wouldn't fit in the game... it could reopen with imported Pokémon from Hoenn and Sinnoh. Everything that should have been in Generation II's Kanto could be.

Maybe I'm going overboard with ideas... It's not like I want all four of the main regions in one game, it's just that the Sevii Islands were a bit of a let-down.
It's YOUR problem!

Print