Print

Author Topic: The HOPEFUL thread: Be happy here!  (Read 1273646 times)

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #4725 on: December 22, 2009, 10:31:53 AM »
Every last post between Luigison's and Turtlekid's got me so mad.
every

« Reply #4726 on: December 22, 2009, 01:52:03 PM »
Rap hasn't been good since MC Hammer faded from the scene.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #4727 on: December 22, 2009, 02:02:12 PM »
As far as I've seen, rap is 99% egotism and generic proclamations of love, all to a repetitive backbeat, someone else's riff, and/or women making noises.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #4728 on: December 22, 2009, 04:13:25 PM »
Then you've seen about 5% of rap.
every

« Reply #4729 on: December 22, 2009, 04:19:28 PM »
The other 95 percent is about political and/or social unrest.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #4730 on: December 22, 2009, 04:27:15 PM »
Well, I suppose I must confess that "Where is the Love?" is decent.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #4731 on: December 22, 2009, 07:58:58 PM »
Dudes, you can't judge a genre based on what you've heard on the radio or TV. Radio music sucks monkey doo mostly. Seriously, check out Phi Life Cypher, Fort Minor, Styles of Beyond, Mos Def, and lots of other underground/alternative rap artists, along with some more popular MCs like Jay-Z and Eminem, and you'll find a treasure trove of great music that'll never appear on the radio. Rap isn't all booty, guns and grills, and it pains me to see people continue to assume it is.

And MC Hammer has never contributed anything to society, I'm sorry.
every

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #4732 on: December 23, 2009, 02:35:29 AM »
I like rap artists from Texas (Mike Jones, for example) because they always sing about coming from humble beginnings and rising up and/or talk about how they roll down the street in their "fool G homie" cars. To offer any consolation, Mike Jones alludes to owning a Nintendo system in one his songs:

Blowin' on the endo/Gamecube Nintendo
5 percent tint/so you can't see up in my window
Formerly quite reasonable.

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #4733 on: December 25, 2009, 01:15:30 AM »
Happiness time! First off, Merry Christmas from the east coast, where it has been Christmas for two hours now. If you're in California, you don't count. Sorry. So yeah, Christmas. I know that I am going to be getting a certain amount of dollars from my family in general with which to buy a new computer. Which is awesome. Unfortunately, I'm buying it from my school, so I have to wait another week before I can actually get it. As for other things I may be getting, I have no idea, which is unusual for my family. So this will be an interesting and perhaps suspenseful Christmas. Secondly, LaTale. I mentioned this game in a post yesterday (Was it yesterday? My memory is fuzzy. Don't touch it.). This game is what has been taking up all of my spare time for the past month or so. It's a free-to-play MMORPG that is kind of similar to MapleStory in its side-scrolliness, but entirely different from MapleStory in its non-grindiness. So if anyone here is into that sort of thing, certainly check it out.

Now off to bed, where I should have probably been for the past couple of hours.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

Jman

• Score
« Reply #4734 on: December 25, 2009, 11:29:26 AM »
As far as I've seen, rap is 99% egotism and generic proclamations of love, all to a repetitive backbeat, someone else's riff, and/or women making noises.

Well, I definitely agree on the "someone else's riff" thing.  Even rock artists are guilty of this *coughkid rockcough*
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #4735 on: December 25, 2009, 12:46:43 PM »
I'll admit, songs based entirely around samples of other songs generally rub me the wrong way *cough Flo Rida cough* but it's a legitimate art form. Look at DJ Shadow; the man works entirely in samples (or, at least, used to). Even one of his most recognizable tunes, Organ Donor, is pretty just much a short loop of the organ sectio of an old song with a hip-hop beat laid over it, and it's a classic.
every

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #4736 on: December 25, 2009, 01:22:40 PM »
N64 Chick has now obtained a Wii. :)

I also had "body lotion" on my list. They may have backfired on me because that's what everyone gave me. Oh well. I think I have enough to last until summer.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #4737 on: December 25, 2009, 06:39:50 PM »
Change your name to Wii Chick.
every

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #4738 on: December 25, 2009, 07:59:10 PM »
Actually, I typically refer to myself as Chicky nowadays.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #4739 on: December 26, 2009, 07:28:43 AM »
Talkbox should be here very soon now. Also, I got the Captain Price/8-Bit Mario hybrid emblem in Modern Warfare 2, so I'm happy about that.

If you haven't seen it yet:
Formerly quite reasonable.

Print