Poll

In SSBM, what do you press to jump?

Y
X
Tap-Up, only
Print

Author Topic: The Capriole Conundrum  (Read 12134 times)

« on: March 11, 2008, 09:04:36 PM »
I saw a lot of people in Favorite Brawl Control Scheme mention using X to jump. That made me think, "You people are crazy! You're supposed to use Y to jump!" Because that's what I do. I use Y to jump.

In this thread, tell me what freakish button you use to jump. Go on, I can take it.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 09:25:31 PM »
Usually I forget that X and Y are jump buttons and just use up. When I do remember that they do the same thing, I'll start using Y, but then usually forget again once I'm done playing. And yeah, it does seem weird that people would move their thumb over to press X instead of sliding it up to press Y.

megamush

• Infinite member error
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 09:28:24 PM »
Nice Title
What ever you do don't press Ctrl-W

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 10:46:33 PM »
X is the button to press because it's the same as a normal jump/attack control scheme then. If you press Y, it's horribly horribly backwards like Mega Man Anniversary Collection.
That was a joke.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 11:01:24 PM »
Y isn't backwards because we're talking about the GC control layout, not SNES.  A,B,Y are in a cluster, which means no thumb travel is required.  A,B,X are not.

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 11:02:48 PM »
Which one is on the right, X or Y? I pick whichever one is on the right. I keep forgetting. For Wii+Nunchuk, I use C.

P.S. In case it wasn't implied, I'm talking about the Gamecube controller and not SNES.

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 11:21:41 PM »
I just tap up to jump.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 11:35:45 PM »
I always tapped up, in every Smash game.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 11:37:05 PM »
X is on the right.
To MB: I'm talking about any control layout. It's the gesture I make with my thumb to jump that's important. And that gesture is moving, rolling, or nudging microscopically to the right and/or back. On something like SMW for instance since B is jump it's always a thumb gesture of back-right. On NES and Smash, it's more of a straight right motion. This is all done without conscious thought.

P.S. Tapping up fails.
That was a joke.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 03:27:04 AM »
Why all the tapping up hate?

Also, you forgot to account for custom controls, as well as the fact that Z is the jump button in the Wii remote + nunchuck layout.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 05:24:45 AM »
Y. I never used the tap-up jump and plan on turning it off in Brawl.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

megamush

• Infinite member error
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 05:52:56 AM »
as well as the fact that Z is the jump button in the Wii remote + nunchuck layout.
actually thats C, Z is sheild
What ever you do don't press Ctrl-W

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2008, 07:35:04 AM »
I use X out of habit, but I can see how Y is more efficient.  I never used UP. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2008, 09:15:00 AM »
Um.....Gosh I haven't touched SSBM for i don't know how long, but I think I used the X button...

And since my N64 kicked the bucket and I couldn't get a new one and couldn't play SSB, I managed to get an emulator for it. Since I used the keyboard to play, I always pressed up to jump, but that's a whole different story altogether. Of course, now I'm using my Xbox 360 controller to play my emulators, and I still use up to jump.

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2008, 12:19:07 PM »
Tapping up fails.
Nah, it works just fine for me.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Print