Print

Author Topic: Mariology (serious posts wanted)  (Read 478267 times)

« Reply #870 on: October 21, 2006, 11:35:47 AM »
This is a bit off from our discussion here but, this occured to me during Reading class on Thursday. WHAT IF PAULINE IS REALLY MARIO'S SISTER?! This would explain why he tried so hard to rescue her and why she has dark hair and the story between Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2. But if it is true, does this mean all we've theorized about Mario's family is worthless?

I think it has been stated many times before in all sorts of media that Pauline is Mario's girlfriend. And about why Mario tried to rescue Pauline in Donkey Kong and Mvs.DK2-well, if your girlfriend was one day kidnapped by a big, hairy ape, wouldn't you try to rescue her? Love makes you do crazy things.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #871 on: October 21, 2006, 05:19:39 PM »
Well, on the old Saturday Supercade cartoon show, Pauline was referred to as Mario's niece.
I had this idea that the Mario in the current games is really the son of the one from the arcade game, like DK to Cranky. However, this theory has been destroyed with MvDK's release. I'm starting to lean towards the multiverse idea again...

« Reply #872 on: October 22, 2006, 05:15:26 PM »
Pauline could just be a really good friend of Mario's. We all know he's a ladies man. :p

Seriously, back before Mario and Peach got serious (or at least, became branded a couple), Mario and Pauline were still going out, thus the events of DK '94. Pauline disappears for awhile, and Mario and Peach get back together (presumably to stay, since they share everything these days).

After the events of the first MvDK game, Mario hears from Pauline. She's excited by the fact that his toy business has been so successful. Mario tells Peach about Pauline, Peach is ok with the situation since Pauline is now just an old friend, and Mario invites Pauline to the grand opening of Mini Mario World (and the events of MvDK2 play out).

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it. I still wish I could figure out why Daisy went out with Luigi instead Mario when Mario saved her back in the day from Tatanga, but that's a thoery for a different time.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #873 on: October 23, 2006, 03:46:50 PM »
I was kinda thinking that Pauline was at the grand opening as a sort of booth babe, like the ladies on The Price is Right. You can tell by the way she nuzzles the Mini-Mario toy. But then there's the matter of why Mario looked so upset when DK kidnapper her again...

« Reply #874 on: October 23, 2006, 05:25:40 PM »
You'd be upset too, if DK kidnapped your special guest at the grand opening of your new toy store.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #875 on: October 24, 2006, 02:14:41 PM »
That depends on what type of special guest she is. The way Mario acts hints that he and Pauline are going steady again.

« Reply #876 on: October 24, 2006, 03:39:26 PM »
I still wish I could figure out why Daisy went out with Luigi instead Mario when Mario saved her back in the day from Tatanga, but that's a thoery for a different time.

Well my theory about that, After rescuing Daisy, Mario goes back to his house, finding it taken over by his cousin Wario, (fast-forwarding through events of Super Mario Land 2). Peach has a party at her castle and Mario invites Daisy to come with him. There Dasiy meets Peach and a friendship is born, but also there, she meets Mario's brother Luigi and finds she likes him more than Mario.
OH, NO! There goes Tokyo! GO, GO GODZILLA!
------
Yinzers Rule!

« Reply #877 on: October 24, 2006, 09:24:00 PM »
That depends on what type of special guest she is. The way Mario acts hints that he and Pauline are going steady again.

Yea, it sure seems that way, doesn't it.. I don't have my game on hand right now, but when I get near it again, I'll try to pay attention to scenes where Mario and Pauline are close together.

Well my theory about that, After rescuing Daisy, Mario goes back to his house, finding it taken over by his cousin Wario, (fast-forwarding through events of Super Mario Land 2). Peach has a party at her castle and Mario invites Daisy to come with him. There Dasiy meets Peach and a friendship is born, but also there, she meets Mario's brother Luigi and finds she likes him more than Mario.

She has a party at her castle (hence Mario Party 3), and after that point, Luigi and Daisy are dating, I'm guessing?

What is it with these Mario Bros and getting to date princesses? I hope Nintendo doesn't turn Pauline into some sort of princess, otherwise the Marioverse will be full of too many princesses (ok, so maybe three isn't all that many, but still..)

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #878 on: October 25, 2006, 01:14:16 PM »
The whole Luigi/Daisy thing was started by Camelot, like Waluigi. None of those things are considered important by Nintendo themsleves, otherwise they'd be in the main series instead of just minor titles.

« Reply #879 on: October 27, 2006, 06:03:10 PM »
Could domes be like, on-land coral? It would make sense because coral is living hense the eyes, it can have patterns, and it can grow.
Senior Mariology professor

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #880 on: October 27, 2006, 06:08:03 PM »
Why do you always suddenly change the subjext?

« Reply #881 on: October 28, 2006, 11:26:04 AM »
Because spamspamspam changed the subject last time and we wern't finished.
Senior Mariology professor

« Reply #882 on: October 28, 2006, 01:17:29 PM »
He DOES have a point. I'm sorry for diverting you from your discussion.
OH, NO! There goes Tokyo! GO, GO GODZILLA!
------
Yinzers Rule!

« Reply #883 on: October 28, 2006, 04:38:16 PM »
Well, since we're talking about the scenery again, then I agree with this..

Could domes be like, on-land coral? It would make sense because coral is living hense the eyes, it can have patterns, and it can grow.

It would bring some sense into the craziness that is the Marioverse.

.. ok, so the 'verse isn't that crazy, there are just a few paradoxial things that I've been thinking about as of late..

- How baby versions of characters can appear in the same game as grown up counter parts (babies in Mario Kart DD, Mario Tennis,.. and others)

- What is Mario's relationship to Pauline? How does Pauline feel about Peach, Daisy? Pauline was Mario's first girlfriend, and yet here we are, 15+ years later, and he goes off to rescue her yet again when DK kidnaps her at the opening ceremony of Super Mini Mario World.

- How do pipes work?

- What is Mario's relation to Wario, if they are related at all, and what is Wario's to Waluigi?

- How come Nintendo refuses to give Toad his own game? Most of the other major Mario characters have spun off into their own series (DK, Yoshi), or have been playable in at least one other game, other than SMB2 (Super Princess Peach, Bowser Bros in PM2).

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #884 on: October 28, 2006, 06:00:34 PM »
- How baby versions of characters can appear in the same game as grown up counter parts (babies in Mario Kart DD, Mario Tennis,.. and others)
I don't know, I guess they could be using E. Gadd's time machine from M&L:PiT. Or you could go with my personal theory, that the spinoffs exist outside of time...

- What is Mario's relationship to Pauline? How does Pauline feel about Peach, Daisy? Pauline was Mario's first girlfriend, and yet here we are, 15+ years later, and he goes off to rescue her yet again when DK kidnaps her at the opening ceremony of Super Mini Mario World.
I guess they broke up and are just good friends, sure. Besides, it doesn't matter WHO she is... Mario saves everybody he can, no matter what.

- How do pipes work?
They warp you.

- What is Mario's relation to Wario, if they are related at all, and what is Wario's to Waluigi?
Exaggerated and bad-spirited counterpart. They're the Wario Bros.

- How come Nintendo refuses to give Toad his own game? Most of the other major Mario characters have spun off into their own series (DK, Yoshi), or have been playable in at least one other game, other than SMB2 (Super Princess Peach, Bowser Bros in PM2).
He's always been a faithful playable character, except for Mario Party, in which he was always some kind of host until 12 or 15... I don't know. Soon enough, though. Patience.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Print