Print

Author Topic: BEST AND WORST IN SERIES? Week 17: Level Success Animation  (Read 6235 times)

« on: June 01, 2008, 12:46:53 PM »
(Um, what?)
Every time you beat a level in a Mario game, some kind of animation or scene appears. (Ex. Super Mario 64=Star Get!) or (Super Mario Bros. 3=Lucky Box/Black scene)

I just found it fun to watch Luigi bring out all the ghosts he managed to capture.

BEST: Luigi's Mansion (1)

WORST: Super Mario Bros 2(American) (1)

^^^Mario goes into a Bird...great...

NOMINATIONS:
Best bowser/fortress/castle music (8)
Best Mario Sports game (2)
Best Level (1) 
(Nominations require 10 votes to become a reality)

BEST Winners:
WEEK 1(Attacks): Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga
WEEK 2(Final Boss Battle): Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door.
WEEK 3(Music): Super Mario Galaxy
WEEK 4(Underwater Levels): Super Mario World
WEEK 5(Powerups): Super Mario Bros 3
WEEK 6(Bowser Level):Paper Mario
WEEK 7(First Boss): Super Mario 64
WEEK 8(Yoshi's Role): Yoshi's Island
WEEK 9(Intro): Super Mario Galaxy
WEEK 10(Ending): Paper Mario
WEEK 11(Races): Super Mario 64
WEEK 12(Non-Bowser bosses): Yoshi's Island
WEEK 13(Hub):Super Mario Sunshine
WEEK 14(Hub Dwellers): Super Mario Galaxy
WEEK 15(Title Screen): Super Mario 64
WEEK 16(Box Art): Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time (It's first appearance on the list!)

WORST Winners:
WEEK 13(Hub): Super Mario Galaxy/Super Paper Mario
WEEK 14(Hub Dwellers): Super Mario Sunshine
WEEK 15(Title Screen): Mario Kart Wii
WEEK 16(Box Art): Mario Kart Wii

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 12:50:38 PM »
BEST: Galaxy, especially when Luigi gets a Grand Star and yells "STAAARRR!"

WORST: Mario is Missing. Luigi and Yoshi just go down a pipe.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 01:14:34 PM »
Best: Could winning a battle in Super Mario RPG count? If not, then, Super Mario World.

Worst: I think I'll go with Super Mario Bros 2 (U.S.) as well--you beat a mini-boss at the end of almost every level, and there's no celebration!

Honorable mention: If New Super Mario Bros. had Mario do the peace sign and say "Oh yeah! Here we go!" or something half the time, it would win. I love how in Superstar Saga, the Mario Bros. pose with the move that did the finishing blow.

Nintendo games need more V-signs. Yoshi still does it in Super Smash Bros, but I was counting on Ness to do it as one of his taunts in reference to his pose for the magical Photoman. And Mario... I think he has multiple personality disorder.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 03:02:19 PM »
Best: Super Mario 64. They need to bring back the pan-and-zoom-out!
Worst: Yeah, probably SMB2. The roulette adds some points, but it's just so... sudden.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 04:40:11 PM »
Best: Super Paper Mario, I liked seeing the pixels dance.

Not sure for worst.

I vote for best Bowser/Fortress/Castle Music.

Oh and I suggest we change best level to Best First Level
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 04:54:37 PM »
Oh, yeah, SPM is definitely good too. The little tune that played was suitably triumphant (in a small way) and you got to experience that feeling of joy that the "End of Chapter" screen in PM and PM2 gave you... fourfold!
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 08:02:33 PM »
Best: Mario Kart 64. (If not, then SM64)
Worst: Super Princess Peach. When she goes "That was easy!" you want to punch her in the face because you spent like 20 minutes in that one level.

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2008, 08:08:20 PM »
Best: Super Mario 64, although the timing of "Here we go!" was screwed up in SM64DS. Ah, memories... I also like Luigi's Mansion, but SM64 gets my vote.

Worst: Super Mario Land 2. Ooh. I rung a bell. Fun. There's not even a cool bird mask at the doorway.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2008, 10:16:34 PM »
BEST: SM64, definitely. The music, the pose, both are epically triumphant. It's the only success animation for me.

Worst: I'm not sure about this one, but I'll say SMS because it says "SHINE!" in big obtrusive letters, and Mario doesn't do anything that neat.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 08:20:28 AM »
Let's see... SMG, SM64 are both good, but my vote for best goes to Super Mario World.  The  pixellated "peace out" trumps all.

Worst: SMB3.  The whole card thing always seemed kind of weak to me.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 11:52:04 AM »
Best - Super Mario 64
Worst - Super Mario Bros. 2 (US)
Ditto used Machop!

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 09:44:07 PM »
Eh.
Best: Galaxy, I guess.
Worst: No opinion.

I vote for best level (which I agree that you should change to best first level).
Edward has always dreamed of becoming a female monkey.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 12:31:47 AM »
Best: SM64 or SMW. Peace Sign FTW.  The song's were great as well.  When the last note of the level success fanfare plays in SMW, you just can't help but strike the peace sign with Mario.

Worst: Don't know.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 12:38:33 AM »
I always do the peace sign with Yoshi, or hold my controller out as Ness holds out his bat, or laugh myself to death with Wario when I win in Brawl... against another person, that is. I'm not the kind of sad little loser who talks to himself when he plays video games.

Oh, and, I always hold X for Pikachu's sleeping animation, but I don't go to sleep myself. Ha ha ha.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 12:03:50 AM »
Best: Mario Kart 64. I imagined myself winning a race every day of my life when I was a kid and saying my catchphrase to the losers.

Worst: No opinion. The rest are all okay. 
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Print