Print

Author Topic: SMB ... on what system?  (Read 6460 times)

« on: January 22, 2009, 10:00:10 AM »
Here's a riddle/puzzle for all of you Fungi forums denizens:

what system is this Super Mario Bros. game running on?

(click for a larger version of the photo)

Inside Allerton book
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 02:56:07 PM by WarioLandMan »
TMK/Fungi Forums-Maniac since 2002.

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 03:11:14 PM »
That looks kinda like the version that was part of a game collection that was sold here in the mall. I don't recall what the collection itself was called, but the controller looked like a modified N64 controller, and there were literally hundreds of games.

I played on it, but the original performs better.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 04:16:44 PM »
Those are just ROM dumps of the original cart. This is some weird IBM PC version or something.
That was a joke.

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 05:04:32 PM »
It's not an emulator or ROM, nor is it a PC game.

Here is one more photo:
moof!

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 07:18:04 PM »
It's not the arcade version, is it?
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 07:48:15 PM »
VS. SMB had graphics more like SMB2J if I recall correctly.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 02:06:01 AM »
...Dog Cow?

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 07:42:13 PM »
How are we supposed to know which system that SMB is being played on? I know it's not the NES and SNES versions because of the score display and stuff. But it could be an emulator for the PC. Or maybe it's a mod for another game console...if not, then please, just tell us already!
"It's vital to reflect occasionally on whether one is overdoing whatever it is one person is doing." ~Toadsworth

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 08:01:37 PM »
No, it could not be an emulator because that would be running the ROM.
That was a joke.

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 08:20:34 PM »
Oh, I see. Thanks for the correction, Chupperson. So that narrows it down to possibly being a mod for another video game console...hmm...I got nothin'.
"It's vital to reflect occasionally on whether one is overdoing whatever it is one person is doing." ~Toadsworth

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 10:04:46 PM »
More like a port or remake, certainly unofficial, for another console. That said, I still have no idea.
That was a joke.

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 12:00:45 AM »
My best guess would be the Famicom Disk System. My guesses are horrible.

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 03:40:31 PM »
My guesses are a PCI port Or Super Mario Bros. Special.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 01:58:51 PM »
Not SMB special or FDS, for sure. Other than that, no idea...
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 12:08:49 PM »
Ok, I will tell the answer! It is in fact, Super Mario Bros. for the Apple IIgs. Essentially, it's what Chupperson Weird said, "a port/remake for another console." Interestingly enough, the Apple IIgs shares the same microprocessor as the Super Nintendo: a 65C816. In fact, legend tells it that in the early days of Super Nintendo development, an Apple IIgs was used to test things out. And the original Apple II has the same processor as the NES: a 6502.

http://iigs.dreamhost.com/smb/smb.html

I only discovered it about 3 weeks ago or so. I am also wondering: do unofficial games make it into the TMK games list?

« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 12:10:53 PM by WarioLandMan »
TMK/Fungi Forums-Maniac since 2002.

Print