Print

Author Topic: Friday the 13th  (Read 17616 times)

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2008, 10:13:10 AM »
There's a 1 in 12.3 million chance that climate crisis will "happen"? Like, overnight, boom, suddenly all the polar bears are dead and the world's flooded? 'Cause that, my friend, ain't how it works. It's already "happened", has been "happening" for about forty years now, and will continue to "happen" if things continue on their current course.

What annoys me the most about "climate crisis" propaganda is that these people wouldn't know science if it bit them in the face.

1.  When the $-grabbing people who invented the concept of global warming realized global warming will never happen, but still wanted to hold on to their precious funding, they changed it to the more general "climate crisis."  That should set off a few bells in anyone's head.

2.  We have no idea what will happen in the future; we can't even predict weather accurately past 2 days.

3.  It's been "happening" for a lot longer than 40 years, but being the chronological snobs we are, we just assume it's been "happening" (harmlessly) only since we had the technology to trace it. 

4.  Define our "current course."

"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2008, 11:06:48 AM »
Climate change is a more convenient term than global warming, because it lets them include stuff like flooding and hurricanes, which would actually decrease if it were warmer. In practice, climate change tends to just mean any unusual weather.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2008, 03:28:05 PM »
There has been a sharp increase in CO2 production since about the 50s. We need to stop it before it does something bad. Also, Turtlekid's statement #2 is completely illogical.
That was a joke.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2008, 05:58:01 PM »
I'll support the scientists that are developing vaccines to make cows stop farting. They're a pretty big source of greenhouse gases. Or gasses, if you want to spell it funetically.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

chucknorris

• ID:10 Tango error
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2008, 07:19:23 PM »
actually, people have less accidents during Friday the 13, because they're trying to be more careful about doing stupid stuff.

----------------
Now playing: Rush - Tom Sawyer
via FoxyTunes
How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could could chuck wood?

A wood chuck could chuck as much wood as a wood chuck could chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2008, 10:45:16 PM »
That, or their over-apprehensiveness will make them fall prey to more accidents.

Just for the record--and because I can't really recall if someone gave me a clear-cut answer to this before--what money would there be made in telling people global warming exists?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2008, 11:42:39 PM »
The An Inconvenient Truth DVD's sales.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

CrossEyed7

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2008, 05:52:21 AM »
Enough money to use way too much electricity, apparently.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2008, 09:09:09 AM »
Now I see--Coppertone and baseball hat companies teamed up to create the conspiracy! How could I have ben so blind!
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2008, 12:06:01 PM »
What annoys me the most about "climate crisis" propaganda is that these people wouldn't know science if it bit them in the face.

1.  When the $-grabbing people who invented the concept of global warming realized global warming will never happen, but still wanted to hold on to their precious funding, they changed it to the more general "climate crisis."  That should set off a few bells in anyone's head.

2.  We have no idea what will happen in the future; we can't even predict weather accurately past 2 days.

3.  It's been "happening" for a lot longer than 40 years, but being the chronological snobs we are, we just assume it's been "happening" (harmlessly) only since we had the technology to trace it. 

4.  Define our "current course."

1. That is the most meaningless thing I've ever heard. Who cares what it's CALLED? What matters is Earth is getting hotter because of human actions, and saying otherwise doesn't change that.

2. I like to think local TV news station technology and that of NASA snf other huge government organizations are two different things.

3. Thanks for making an excellent point for me. We've been screwing up for a very long time.

4. Believing crap like "There is no climate crisis".
every

« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2008, 12:26:08 PM »
I believe global warming will happen. A large amount of ice is gone. The ozone is disappearing. We are in the 7th age of mass extinction. Scientists used to say that the ice caps will start melting 70 years from now, but now they say that the ice caps will be GONE in 30 years.
One Ring to rule them all. One Ring to find them. One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2008, 03:32:30 PM »
We can't tell what will happen because we haven't had the technology to track that kind of thing long enough.  We assume that it's happening only while we're observing it.  For all we know, we could have been in the same condition then (the polar ice caps melting in 30-70 years) 500 years ago and just not been able to observe it!  There won't be any change in climate anytime soon.

There has been a sharp increase in CO2 production since about the 50s. We need to stop it before it does something bad. Also, Turtlekid's statement #2 is completely illogical.

1. Why do people think CO2 will do anything bad in the long run if we haven't been able to measure it's effects over a long period of time?

2. How was it illogical?
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2008, 05:13:25 PM »
I like how you keep saying we don't have the technology for this or that, as if it has anything to do with anything.
every

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2008, 05:39:28 PM »
I'm not going to take sides in this argument, but your statement was illogical because your doing the proverbial "comparing apples to oranges" thing. It's a logical fallacy. You can't show an example in something that is unrelated to something else and claim it to be the exact same thing.

Your poor logic lies in the fact that you made a hasty generalization.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2008, 05:50:09 PM »
According to Al Gore, by approximatly 2010, the world's sea level will rise due to global warming. He used the WTC Memorial Site (AKA Ground Zero) as an example. It will be flooded in approximatly 2010.
And yet, hes flying around in his private jet telling people about global warming.

Print