Print

Author Topic: Religion  (Read 70909 times)

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #180 on: May 25, 2003, 01:31:29 PM »
Wooooooo!! Go Watoad! ;)  Couldn't have said that better, myself. Of course, right now, I haven't really even GOTTEN into that discussion--I'm just trying to prove to everyone that God exists, which most people actually DO believe.

Having said, that, I have another question for you, Steve. You believe in Murphy's Law, yet you have no solid PROOF that it's true. You have seen evidences that this theory is real, yet you have no proof. You still believe it.  Why can you believe in that but not in God? I thought you said you only beleived in things that can be proved. God can FAR be more proved of existance than the theories of Murphy's Law. Forgive me, but that seems rather illogical and even contradicting to your own beliefs.

--------------------
Deep inside us all is a little green elf telling us to burn things.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #181 on: May 25, 2003, 04:43:24 PM »
"I seriously believe that God will do something with your life someday, Steve."

Yes. End it prematurely. I already know THAT much.

Erg, time to explain what each of the 10 rules explains, in more detail, and to try and rebutt your points on each.

1: Amazing how, by your definitions, I've never had a "true" friend, they way you've put it. I wonder why? Maybe because I've not met anyone who is true friend material? That is, someone who CAN be trusted? I'm VERY close to disproving this one. I know of one person who I've known since 2nd grade (The only good thing to happen that year) who it seems would never try to metaphorically stab me. There's always that off-chance, though...

Point being: It's impossible for me, as a person, to trust other people simply because of the way other people have treated me.

2: Ok, imagine this situation, from my point of view, that actually happened recently.

There is this kid in my band who plays trombone. He is a terrible player, and I don't like him... mainly because he makes fun of me just about every chance he gets. I personally think he got a terrible lot in life... he isn't bright, or athletic, or sociable, or good-looking, plus he has major family problems and he is somewhat addicted to drugs. I'd feel sorry for him if he didn't insult me. One day after band he walks up to me and asks, after all these insults:

"Steve, can I have a dollar? I need to buy drugs."

Now, in my mind, I know this person. The PR took precidence, and seeing how he's treated me so poorly ever since I knew him, I declined. (I don't know if he REALLY wanted drugs, though) Naturally following the PR himself, he mocks me by saying something along the lines of mocking the way I walk. In fact, it looked a lot like the way I really DO walk (I walk differently from most people. I hardly bend my knees, if at all) so i wasn't offended.

So you'd give him the dollar? I mean, the Golden Rule says that if you were in his situation, you'd like the dollar. After all those years of insult? In my mind, people don't change much. The Platinum Rule, from my standpoint, is more practical. of course, if I don't know someone, I definately treat them the way I'd like to be treated.

3: Well, we're in agreement here. Moving on...

4: Ok, I worded that one too simply. It was late. I meant for that comment to in essence state that one should always expect the worst. This is how my mind works:

I expect the worst to occur for every situation. Let's say the worst does occur. I'm not surprised at all, nor am I disappointed. I'm practically neutral. Now, let's say something ELSE happens. (Yea, right.) Then, I am plesantly surprised. I'm actually in a good mood for some 4 seconds.

Now, take the case of the eternal optimist (I.E., The class of '05 in my school). Let's say something good happens. This person is not surprised. (S)he is pleased... but not as much as you think because there is no element of surprise involved.

But what if the worst happens? The optimist, expecting the best, is devastated, almost ruined. (S)he expected good and didn't get it.

Of course, with me, bad things happen enough to expect the worst case scenario every time. It's hard for me to think positively. It just is. I also don't see the positive.

5: Hate the sin? No, that person will do more bad. Of course, this goes along with my other mostly-negative views on everything.

6: We're in agreeal again. Yay.

7: Everyone, eh? Heh... How about that premature crack baby who dies 10 minutes after he is born? You CAN'T tell me that child had any chance. Or the person who is wrongly convicted of a crime, and thrown in jail for life? Does THIS person have a chance?

8: Bleh, interesting. I may believe in God, or at least something like God that isn't actually God, and might not even realise it. Still... I may believe in the principles of God, but not the individual. Still, chance, which is, I think, the same thing as God according to you all, plays a role in everything.

9: Yes. And the sad thing is, we can't even fix it.

10: Yes. I am an extreme person, though. I believe in extremist values.

Still, after all this, I think I'm offically switching back to agnostic. I'm not going to fully go from saying God doesn't exist to God exists in a few minutes, yet after reading all this, I can kind of see some supernatural forces playing some role in life. Hard to say, though.

And as for the afterlife? Pffffft. Nonsense. I think when you die, it's kind of like sitting there in a world of emptiness for eternity. Again, this is due to my strict logical view of everything.

As for contradicting of my own beliefs, as I said before, I'm not even sure if I can truly believe in anything anymore. Not even myself.

Technically, a salt is any combination of a Group 1A Alkali Earth Metal and a Group 7A Halogen. But, when someone refers to "salt", 99.9% of the time they are referring to NaCl.

Yes, I DO know that Jesus is, indeed, an actual person. I've read it, it has been proven. I have also read that it's been proven that many things Jesus supposedly did actually did NOT happen.

And most propecies are so vague they are bound to come true: in fatc, I'll make one now...

Tomorrow, you will see someone whose first name contains the letter e.

Meh, that's all I'm saying for now. You all have very partially convinced me of some things, but not a lot of them. That's "progress", in your eyes. I think.

Congratulations! You have just been blessed by the wisdom of Steve.
~I.S.~

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #182 on: May 25, 2003, 05:34:25 PM »
I think I'll try to keep this short.

"Amazing how, by your definitions, I've never had a "true" friend, they way you've put it. I wonder why? Maybe because I've not met anyone who is true friend material? That is, someone who CAN be trusted? I'm VERY close to disproving this one. I know of one person who I've known since 2nd grade (The only good thing to happen that year) who it seems would never try to metaphorically stab me. There's always that off-chance, though..."

True friends are a dime a dozen, my friend. However, the fact that you may not have a true friend may be that you're not letting yourself. That is to say, by not trusting anyone, save your family, how can you expect them to get close enough to be your friend? The way I see it, friendship IS trust.

"So you'd give him the dollar? I mean, the Golden Rule says that if you were in his situation, you'd like the dollar. After all those years of insult? In my mind, people don't change much. The Platinum Rule, from my standpoint, is more practical. of course, if I don't know someone, I definately treat them the way I'd like to be treated."

To be completely honest, I probably wouldn't have given him the dollar. However, that's because I'm a jerk, and am not as I should be. However, had you given him the dollar, isn't there the off chance that he'd see you in a different light? Treat you different, maybe? Even slightly. By doing what you wish others do to you, you're giving them a reason to not do what they do. Still with me?

"I expect the worst to occur for every situation. Let's say the worst does occur. I'm not surprised at all, nor am I disappointed. I'm practically neutral. Now, let's say something ELSE happens. (Yea, right.) Then, I am plesantly surprised. I'm actually in a good mood for some 4 seconds.

Now, take the case of the eternal optimist (I.E., The class of '05 in my school). Let's say something good happens. This person is not surprised. (S)he is pleased... but not as much as you think because there is no element of surprise involved.

But what if the worst happens? The optimist, expecting the best, is devastated, almost ruined. (S)he expected good and didn't get it.

Of course, with me, bad things happen enough to expect the worst case scenario every time. It's hard for me to think positively. It just is. I also don't see the positive."

Ah yes, believe it or not, I've toiled with such thoughts as well. However, I've come to believe that the destination is not always as important as the journey, if you follow my meaning. While taking the pessimistic view, while waiting for whatever it is to happen, you're still unhappy, waiting for the worst to happen.

However, the optimist waits contently, and even if the best doesn't happen, they didn't stay with the depressing wait. I'm a bit vague, but I'm sure you can follow my meaning.

"5: Hate the sin? No, that person will do more bad. Of course, this goes along with my other mostly-negative views on everything."

You're right on this one. You don't need to like everyone. However, you must realize you're not that different from them either, in a manner of speaking. Hating that person, say, for insulting you and then going out and insulting another is hypocrisy. I'm not saying you do that, but what I am saying is if you hate one for something, you'd better not go out and be doing the same.

"7: Everyone, eh? Heh... How about that premature crack baby who dies 10 minutes after he is born? You CAN'T tell me that child had any chance. Or the person who is wrongly convicted of a crime, and thrown in jail for life? Does THIS person have a chance?"

All I can tell you is that there is a reason for everything. I don't know what they are, but they're there. I was taught babies who die go to a place just for them, limbo, I believe it was called; yet I don't believe that. I believe they go directly to be with God, despite original sin.
 As for the fellow thrown in jail, I don't know what to tell you. Maybe they're being tested. I'd only hope their faith could pull through.

"8: Bleh, interesting. I may believe in God, or at least something like God that isn't actually God, and might not even realise it. Still... I may believe in the principles of God, but not the individual. Still, chance, which is, I think, the same thing as God according to you all, plays a role in everything."

You've got to start somewhere.

"9: Yes. And the sad thing is, we can't even fix it."

Indeed, we can't. Yet, we can make it better, if  even by a little bit, eh?

"10: Yes. I am an extreme person, though. I believe in extremist values."

Nothing wrong with that. That is, as long as you keep things in check. Looking at the big picture, and who it effects is something you may need to look into, with having extremist beliefs.

"And as for the afterlife? Pffffft. Nonsense. I think when you die, it's kind of like sitting there in a world of emptiness for eternity. Again, this is due to my strict logical view of everything."

Ah, this is something I've brought up much earlier in this topic, had any of you read it. Logic, now this is why I have a hard time basing my beliefs around it. Logic is derived from man, correct? It's man's way of explaining things. Such as finding a third leg to a triangle by using the Pythagorean Theorem. However, as we know, man is flawed. How can logic not be flawed knowing it derived from man? Why does an unknown side of a triangle have to equal a to the second power + b to the second power or the variations to it depending on which side? Why is a flat line 180 degrees? How do we know? How can you prove that without using logic? Besides, proving that logic is correct, using logic would be like defining the word Happy as "Happy." You simply can't prove it, logically, without using logic. And so, logic couldn't begin to explain something we, as humans, can't comprehend.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #183 on: May 25, 2003, 06:25:54 PM »
1. Point being: It's impossible for me, as a person, to trust other people simply because of the way other people have treated me.
--I can understand that. But if you see that everyone will someday "stab" you, you're setting yourself up to not having any friends at all. Though these "true" friends can be rare and hard to find, they DO exist. Don't be shocked, though; these friends WILL make mistakes and diappoint you--they're only human afterall. That's where YOU, being a friend, also, help THEM out and speak the truth in love to get them back on track.

2. So you'd give him the dollar? I mean, the Golden Rule says that if you were in his situation, you'd like the dollar. After all those years of insult? In my mind, people don't change much. The Platinum Rule, from my standpoint, is more practical. of course, if I don't know someone, I definately treat them the way I'd like to be treated.
--Yes, but the Golden Rule means that if someone does something BAD to you, don't do something BAD in RETURN. Giving him the dollar would be no better; both of you'd be doing wrong. However, that doesn't justify that you can be an ultimate jerk to him; that's what he did to you, afterall. Either of those reactions ENCOURAGE him to continue in his wrong ways, plus YOU did something wrong, too. The RIGHT decision would be to politely decline (or maybe even explain to him what he's doing wrong, but that could get you into unnecessary trouble.

The Golden Rule, in other words, means this.
--If someone insults you, don't insult him back.
--If someone hurts you, don't hurt him back.
Basically, don't belive in revenge. If you argue with an idiot, that make YOU an idiot, also. Prove you're better than that person by not sinking to their level. Though you have to be VERY tolerating, eventually, it's been proven that they'll leave you alone. People bug others JUST to get their reaction. Seeing that reaction is FUN, and when you react, you're doing EXACTLY what they want. If you DIDN'T react, they'd lose the desire to bug you. Eventually the'll stop altogether, bacuase it's not fun anymore. This has been PROVEN to work. Works for me and everyone I know who has.
Since I'm human, this is my biggest area of hypocrisy. These rules, for some reason ALWAYS go out the window with my brother ; I CAN'T, somehow, apply this to dealing with him. That's why our realtionship is so disfunctional. I DO apply this rule to everyone else, though, like at school, and it DOES work.

4. Now, take the case of the eternal optimist (I.E., The class of '05 in my school). Let's say something good happens. This person is not surprised. (S)he is pleased... but not as much as you think because there is no element of surprise involved.

--The problem with that is DON'T EXPECT ANYTHING! You don't know what your future's gonna be like, so how can you EXPECT anything? You should always be prepared for the worse, so it doesn't devastate you, yet you should also be prepared for the best, for that, too, is just as likely to happen. Most things lie somewhere in the middle.

5: Hate the sin? No, that person will do more bad. Of course, this goes along with my other mostly-negative views on everything.
--NEVER actually HATE the actual person. That's calling God's creation bad, which it's not. SIN is what damaged that person from being perfect. Sin damages ALL of us from being perfect. If you HATE a person for something they did wrong, essentially, you're saying you hate yourself. You are JUST as guilty of sin as that person. Theirs may be "worse" and they may do it more often, but that's irrelevant. You sinned, so you're just as bad as that person.
God doesn't HATE people, he hates the sin. This is why he's able to forgive us if we repent. If he hated US, he would not, and we'd be lost forever. Frankly, I'm GLAD he loves us, or else their would be no hope for this world.

7: Everyone, eh? Heh... How about that premature crack baby who dies 10 minutes after he is born? You CAN'T tell me that child had any chance. Or the person who is wrongly convicted of a crime, and thrown in jail for life? Does THIS person have a chance?

--Sadly, this world is a sinful, injust place which we're stuck in. This is another reason why bad things happen to good people. God has given us the freewill to do what we want, and those who chose to be evil affect us, too, even though we do not deserve it.
While the chances are slim and unfair for people just as you described, they do have A CHANCE. Maybe not on this earth, but in the afterlife. (Yes, I know you do not believe in it, but just listen). That baby never had a chance, but since they never had the chance to sin and reach the age of understanding right and wrong, (s)he is now in heaven, the most perfect wonderful place for all eternity! And they don't even have to experience the sorrow of sins they've done, for they never got the chance to sin.
--A person who is wrongly convicted may not seem like he has a chance. Sadly, this world is not perfect, so injustice will happen. Even if NO ONE else gives this man a chance, God will. If that man accepts the Lord as his savior, his sins (which God knows the ones he did and didn't, while we cannot) will be forgiven, and when he dies he'll be in eternal paradise.
That, my friend, is certainly a chance. Whether or not we choose to accept that chance is our desicion, but we did--and do--HAVE the chance.

I don't have much to say on the other points.

"I have also read that it's been proven that many things Jesus supposedly did actually did NOT happen."
--Please, enlighten me.

As for the prophecies thing, I will answer that in just a minute.

--------------------

Edited by - Sapphira on 5/25/2003 7:14:08 PM
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #184 on: May 25, 2003, 06:35:58 PM »
"And most propecies are so vague they are bound to come true: in fatc, I'll make one now...
Tomorrow, you will see someone whose first name contains the letter e."

Hmm... Let me show you one of these "vague" prophecies:

“He grew up before him like a tender shoot, and like a root out of dry ground. He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him, nothing in appearance that we should desire him. He was despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrows, and with familiar suffering. Like one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

“Surely he took up our infirmities and carried our sorrows, yet we considered him stricken by God, smitten him, and afflicted. But he was pierced for our transgressions [wrongdoings], he was crushed for our iniquities [wickedness]; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, by his wounds we are healed. We, like all sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way, and the LORD has laid on him the [wickedness] of us all.

“He was oppressed and afflicted, yet he did not open his mouth; he was led like a lamb to the slaughter…By oppression and judgment he was taken away. And who can speak of his descendents? For he was cut off from the land of the living; for the transgression of my people he was stricken. He was assigned a grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death, though he had done no violence, nor was any deceit in his mouth.

“Yet it was the LORD’s will to crush him and cause him to suffer, and though the LORD makes his life a guilt offering, he will see his offspring and prolong his days [will live forever], and the LORD will prosper in his hand.”
Isaiah 53: 2-10

Sounds lot like Jesus, huh? I don’t know about you, but that certainly doesn’t sound VAGUE to me. And this was written many HUNDREDS of years BEFORE he was even BORN (somewhere from 600-800 years.) There are HUNDREDS of more prophecies just as descriptive, some having nothing to do with Jesus, but other events that would (and DID) happen.

--------------------

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #185 on: May 26, 2003, 11:10:19 PM »
Going back a bit, that's something I was going to mention: freewill. That's really the key to everything, bad and good. I think that was self-explanatory.

I only have two friends, as I've said before. One is a guy I've known ever since I can remember, and my other friend is the girl I love dearly, and have known her also for as long as I can remember. (Yeah, Steve, you know about her already.) No other people are my true friends, and I don't truly trust anyone else, not even my family. Perhaps my mother, but that's it.

Also, regarding the "afterlife," quite frankly, I'm afraid to die. I'd much rather wait and live until the day of judgment. But, I mean, what can I say about this? I have my theories about "paradise*," but I'd much rather stay in this plain of existence for as long as I can. I don't want to have the things I love be forgotten or disregarded after a long time. Especially stuff like... Nintendo games. What can I say? It's not so much for preservation of myself as it is my desire to preserve things I like so people can like them in the future. But that's all for some other topic, some other time.

*Jesus called it paradise, I'm pretty sure. I don't know if he always called it that, though, but I like it better than "heaven." Heaven just means the sky and stuff. But if the article Luigison posted proves to be true, it would be heaven, now wouldn't it?
That was a joke.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #186 on: May 27, 2003, 10:49:40 AM »
"Also, regarding the "afterlife," quite frankly, I'm afraid to die. I'd much rather wait and live until the day of judgment. But, I mean, what can I say about this? I have my theories about "paradise*," but I'd much rather stay in this plain of existence for as long as I can. I don't want to have the things I love be forgotten or disregarded after a long time. Especially stuff like... Nintendo games. What can I say? It's not so much for preservation of myself as it is my desire to preserve things I like so people can like them in the future. But that's all for some other topic, some other time."

I agree with you. I don't want to die. There's too many things in this world that I like or am looking forward to. The idea of my life suddenly ending is terrifying. But luckily, I know what's gonna happen when I die. I don't dread what happens AFTER I die; I dread actually DYING. Frankly, life is too valuable to me for it to end. But I *AM* looking foward to heaven--which ISN'T sitting around playing harps in the clouds, but PARADISE--PERFECTION! NOTHING BAD CAN EVER HAPPEN, *INCLUDING* BOREDOM!

Personally, I say, give me at LEAST 5 more years. I admit, I'll miss my precious Nintendo games, too... THEN I hope the rapture occurs, so I won't actually have to die...

--------------------

« Reply #187 on: May 28, 2003, 12:42:42 AM »
I too, am afraid of dying but not being dead, I would rather be raptured up to heaven beforehand.  And since some people are not sure about the afterlife, wouldn't you rather be safe than sorry?

I mean, many religions do NOT guarantee you will go to Heaven when you die, and some do not believe in Hell and that everyone goes to Heaven.  Well , wouldn't you rather be safe by becoming a Christian and evading Hell than to be atheist/agnostic and possibly find out that it does exist and that the Christians were right?

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #188 on: May 28, 2003, 06:46:20 PM »
Heres an interesting perspective of the afterlife:

http://www.4degreez.com/misc/dante-inferno-test.mv

Based on Dante's Inferno. Do I even HAVE to tell you where in hell I'm going when I die? Of course not.... you are all smart people. I think.

Congratulations! You have just been blessed by the wisdom of Steve.
~I.S.~

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #189 on: May 28, 2003, 09:17:11 PM »
You don't HAVE to go to there when you die, you know. It's not like you have to EARN your way to heaven, which is, sadly, what most people think. People don't go to heaven because thy're GOOD, they go because they're FORGIVEN.

No one's done anything so bad that God won't forgive them. All you have to do is ASK. I don't know WHY that's such a hard concept for people to grasp.

BTW, if anyone has any questions but is too afraid to say anything here, feel free to email me. :)

(Oh yeah, and according to that test, Steve, I've made it to Purgatory, aka on the way to Heaven.)

--------------------

Spiky Blue Shell

• Bane of Mario Kart
« Reply #190 on: May 30, 2003, 11:29:06 AM »
In response to a post a few pages back, you can still believe in BOTH evolution and God. I am a Catholic, and I'm probably not supposed to believe this, but what if God controls evolution and inserted the human soul into monkey/people when He thought they were ready enough to believe in Him?

just an idea...

« Reply #191 on: May 30, 2003, 11:41:41 AM »
Ya, but for Evolution to be a fact, it has to be a reocuring process. Now what I mean is that you would see everything from an embryo to a fella with a tail. now I personally dont know anybody that matches that description, therefore it is not fact, but fiction........

It‘s-a me, Marionut#1!
It's-a me, Marionut#1!

« Reply #192 on: May 30, 2003, 10:13:22 PM »
fella with a tail? What the? They died out because Homo Sapiens was superior. Anyone heard of Neanderthal or Cro Magnon? Evolutionary steps can die out, Marionut#1, leaving less and more advanced stages of life together with nothing in between.

“I’m a stupid fatty and I love to play with my Easy Bake oven!”

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #193 on: May 30, 2003, 10:44:37 PM »
There are different *TYPES* of evolution. One is the insane monkey-turn-into-humans view, where it's believe that one creature turned into another over time. One question: WHY DO WE STILL HAVE MONKEYS!!? Also, you don't see any freak in-between creatures.

There *IS* a different view of evolution. Evolution acutally means "growing and changing--for the better." This is less crazy. It's saying that over time, humans have changed physically (maybe mentally, but our knowledge is rapidly increasing, so that's only natural).

If you look at some of the early skeletal remains of people, mankind HAS changed. But think about it: we're adaptable. Wouldn't it make sense that we adapt as our environment changes? Not to mention, genetics. Certain "ethnic" groups have been completely wiped out over the course of time. Some, barely any history is recorded of them. They died out--genetic traits: gone.

Plus, in ancient times people tried to keep marriage and gene pools within their ethnicity. You can only go so far before it's inbreeding (in the past, it was okay to marry your cousin, etc.) That's bound to cause some genetic alterations. Although Darwin said this, it's true: "survival of the fittest". The unhealthy children died, thus "improving" humanity. (Please note that I'm using these terms *VERY* loosely.)

Then, there was inter-racial marriages, changing genes again, and basically it's been a mix-match.

While I don't believe in "evolution"-evolution, I do believe in change of things over time. Notice how people in different regions of the world have a certain "appearance" to them? Those who live near the equater, their skin, hair and eyes tend to be darker. Closer to the poles, like Northern Europe, people tend to have lighter tones of everything. It kind of fits the climates, like humans have adapted to that region over a LOOOONG period of time. That's my guess of how races formed. Then intermixing, etc.

It's all a matter of genetics, and besides, nutrition can also affect people in that way.

That's the most logical explanation I can think of for "evolution vs. creation."
I'm tired, now...

--------------------

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #194 on: May 30, 2003, 10:49:20 PM »
WHY DO WE STILL HAVE MONKEYS!!?

Although Humans did evolve, we did NOT evolve from monkeys!  Monkey are also superior in there nitch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Random Signature:
"When will I learn? The answer to life's problems aren't at the bottom of a bottle, they're on TV!"

Edited by - Luigison on 5/30/2003 9:51:06 PM
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Print