Poll

Does anyone here think that it was a bad idea to take a game (doki doki panic) and make SMB2 out of it, or just plain think that SMB2 was a bad idea overall?

Yes
8 (25%)
No
24 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Print

Author Topic: Super Mario Broos. 2: A good idea?  (Read 16928 times)

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2007, 02:39:53 PM »
It wasn't a bad idea. I'm not exactly sure about voting.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2007, 02:44:58 PM »
Back then, there was probably no way any of us could know that SMB2 was just a japanese game covered in a Mario theme. When I first played it through All-Stars, I enjoyed it a lot, and it was probably the least challenging of the bunch, but the different game mechanics and ability to play as 4 different characters was a great addition.
Agreed. I think the reason why some people think it's a bad idea is because they know that it wasn't original to begin with. There's a big chance those people actually enjoyed playing SMB2 and loved it, then found out about DDP and started despising it, calling it along the lines of "an abomination in the Mario series." The fact it was originally DDP doesn't change my own opinion about the game, I loved it then and I still love it now.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2007, 02:47:03 PM by NintendoExpert89 »

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2007, 06:01:54 PM »
I said no. Does that mean I like SMB2?

I think that since it's 20-30 years past and most people here probably either weren't alive or were very young when it came out, we're all looking at it in the glorious rear-view mirror of indifference. Granted, they probably never said "based on Doki Doki Panic!" in the ads, but, I mean, this was (Japanese) videogames in the '80s--technically Mario Bros. is a rip-off of Joust. Sequels back then were always awkward, intentionally or not, so the fact that this one was just based on some Arabian dream-game fills the weirdness quota. It did give us Shy Guys and Bob-ombs, though!
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

silverstarman

• Chock full of misinformation
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2007, 06:53:03 PM »
Actually, Shy Guys and Bob Ombs were in the original doki doki panic, they were, however, named differently.

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2007, 08:05:46 AM »
This is one of my favorite Mario games.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2007, 10:56:00 AM »
20-30=19. Interesting!
And uhhh how in the heck is Mario Bros. a joust ripoff? They employ... let's see, 0 of the same game mechanics!
That was a joke.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2007, 12:15:34 PM »
I think he mixed up Mario Bros. and Balloon Fight.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2007, 12:50:50 PM »
That was my thinking also.
That was a joke.

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2007, 06:52:44 PM »
But who would I be without SMB2? That fact alone earns my vote. The kick-(puppy) enemies.
"it's always the present"

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2007, 07:22:31 PM »
There's a big chance those people actually enjoyed playing SMB2 and loved it, then found out about DDP and started despising it, calling it along the lines of "an abomination in the Mario series."
Yeah, I actually know a few people who call it an abomination. That's a little off. These people have obviously not played Yoshi's Safari...
But anyway, I don't think SMB2 was a bad idea. I loved it, even though it took me about 100 continues to beat in Super Mario Advance.

But who would I be without SMB2?
Shyguy92, without SMB2, you would not be an impostor.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2007, 08:35:41 PM »
But who would I be without SMB2?
You would just have a different name. Or you might have died. Who knows.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2007, 08:54:01 PM »
Chaos theory says: Yep, you would have definitely died. At age nine. Lucky you.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2007, 10:46:33 PM »
I was a good idea. Why? Well because the game is funner than Super Mario Bros.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2007, 07:17:05 PM »
You were a good idea because the game is more fun than SMB?
I love typos.
That was a joke.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2007, 07:37:29 PM »
I was a good idea. Why? Well because the game is funner than Super Mario Bros.
Quoted before edit.

Print