Print

Author Topic: New Super Mario Brothers Wii  (Read 164200 times)

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #195 on: October 04, 2009, 05:57:03 PM »
The man who runs this fine website happens to be just over 30.

« Reply #196 on: October 04, 2009, 06:02:01 PM »
I know. I chose the age of thirty to see how many BAWWWs it would elicit. The point is that most people over seventy don't even own computers, let alone game consoles.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #197 on: October 04, 2009, 06:10:15 PM »
I know. I chose the age of thirty to see how many BAWWWs it would elicit.

Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #198 on: October 05, 2009, 12:54:02 PM »
Oh Good Lord....

I just remembered the new pics of NSMB Wii on TMK. The third picture down where Mario's on that tilting platform..... that stupid "turn the wii remote" icon above Mario's head..... sigh, do you think that it will show up every time.... or at least every time on the first few levels (just like Galaxy)?

I hope not. Whatever happened to the instruction manual explaining how things worked? I really hope I don't have to stare at an icon that tells me what to do even after I've done it 4000 times.
Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #199 on: October 05, 2009, 02:01:02 PM »
Hey look, Slowtaku's good for something.

http://kotaku.com/5374432/kind-code-demo-shows-new-super-mario-bros-on-auto+pilot

So basically, the option only exists for the losers that can't passa certain level, and it was made so they can design some very difficult levels.

Is this awesome? y/y
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #200 on: October 05, 2009, 02:13:42 PM »
I've already made a wall or two of text about my opinion, so this time I'm just going to be lazy and copy this guy's Kotaku comment:

Reading through all of these comments, I can't help but laugh at the number of people who say this is "dumbing down" the game. What you need to realize is that this is actually protecting the difficulty level that you all find to be so important.

- Games used to be hard-as-hell and only appealed to a niche audience.

- As games started appealing to the mainstream, the difficulty dropped considerably to keep from "scaring away" the consumers.

- Many games use multiple difficulty levels to appeal to a wider audience, but in a platformer like Mario that's not possible without adding/removing platforms and parts of the environment (a design nightmare).

- New Mario games like SMG are now too hard for the casual/mainstream audience. So Nintendo has two options: make the game easier, in which case this whole thread would be about how the new casual direction for Mario sucks, or...

- ... Nintendo found a path that lets lesser-skilled and casual players still enjoy the entire game without sacrificing the difficulty for all of the hardcore players looking for a "real" Mario game.

We should be applauding their choice to not make Mario a casual-only game. If this feature succeeds, it will ensure that we will have challenging Mario platformers for years to come.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #201 on: October 05, 2009, 02:34:34 PM »
Although the auto play thing makes the game too easy, it will be great for new players that quit everytime something is too hard to do.
"Floor ice cream gives you health!" - Pit, Kid Icarus Uprising.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #202 on: October 05, 2009, 03:35:33 PM »
It also means Nintendo can make harder games now.  That's something I'm all for in a Mario platformer. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #203 on: October 05, 2009, 04:13:27 PM »
Challenge is good, but SMB2J was a nightmare made plastic. Besides, it's always a bad sign if the auto player dies during the frigging demo.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #204 on: October 05, 2009, 04:18:58 PM »
As you might have read, the autopilot hasn't reached its final build yet.
That was a joke.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #205 on: October 05, 2009, 04:23:09 PM »
Besides, it's always a bad sign if the auto player dies during the frigging demo.

Hahaha. Sounds good to me.

I love moments in Mario platformers when you're running full speed trying to dodge crap, missing stuff by the skin of your teeth, or barely making it by obstacles... just totally luckin' out. Also, if you're having to time something perfectly like a line of Thwomps or Paratroopas going up and down.... but then there's like 50 other things going on... then you go for it and the whole time you're like "oh crap oh crap oh crap come on mario! hellllllll yeah check it out."

We need epic moments where it's the game's so hard that you just run full speed and/or keep jumping and pray that you make it through.

Oh yeah, one last thing. Make the Starman music different and make it last longer.... please... if you don't make it longer... at least make the music an original arrangement.... and not just the SMB1 starman theme or the Wing Cap theme ripped off and slapped on.
Formerly quite reasonable.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #206 on: October 05, 2009, 04:25:25 PM »
I would probably feel a whole lot better about the "true" purpose of this feature (or, rather, how the difficulty of the core game will be affected by it) if Nintendo would actually come out and honestly discuss it.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #207 on: October 05, 2009, 07:20:03 PM »
Although the auto play thing makes the game too easy, it will be great for new players that quit everytime something is too hard to do.
It only makes it easy if you use it. It's an option. If you don't use it, the difficulty is exactly the same as if you weren't using it, because you're not using it. If you are using it, then of course it's easy, because that's the point.

Challenge is good, but SMB2J was a nightmare made plastic. Besides, it's always a bad sign if the auto player dies during the frigging demo.
Would you make up your mind on why you hate this? First you say it makes it too easy because it wins the game for you, then you complain that it doesn't actually win it.

For the love of Goom, I wish you guys could just be happy that we're getting a new SMB.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #208 on: October 05, 2009, 08:02:16 PM »
Sentiments for NSMBW has been like this around the internet ever since the game was first revealed at E3.

I knew NSMB had generally mixed feelings from fans when they tried it out, but I didn't think it would carry on to its sequel. I guess the casual focus has really worn down the fans who still think Nintendo was once a company for the hardcore gamer.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #209 on: October 05, 2009, 08:36:43 PM »
SMB2J is the most over exaggerated hard video game ever.
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

Print