Print

Author Topic: Beta versions  (Read 3975 times)

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« on: January 05, 2008, 10:35:58 AM »
One day, I was in a Toys R' Us. This was before PMTTYD (Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door) came out. I saw someone playing PMTTYD there, and I noticed that there was tall grass in what looked like Petal Meadows. When you went in the grass, you can barely see yourself, and enemies were lurking in there. When I finally got the game and beat it, I remembered that version and tried to look for the tall grass area in the game. Unfortunately, I didn't find it, thus making me believe that the Toys R' Us version I saw was a beta/prototype.

Besides PMTTYD, I also picked up a GBA there. It had MALSSS (Mario and Luigi SuperStarSaga) in it. So, when I turn on the game, I appear in Stardust Fields, the first area in the game besides the Mushroom Kingdom. You know how there is a building separating the Mushroom Kingdom side from the Beanbean Kingdom side? Well, I was able to go into the building and appear on the other side without the guards making me play the jump rope game (forgot the name). I found it strange that I was able to go back to the Mushroom Kingdom side, because it wasn't possible in my copy of the game. Besides that, there was also no pipe on the ledge to the left when you first go into the Beanbean Kingdom side. Yet again, this led me to believe that this version was a beta/prototype.

If anyone here doesn't understand what I said or knows anything about these versions, please tell me.   
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

Linkin800

• Choppy words and a sloppy flow
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 12:44:24 PM »
They are just demo versions that Nintendo makes for super markets to have for advertisement on their upcoming games. Their made normally a couple months before the game is actually finished and have some of the stuff takin out of the game that isn't finished yet. That's why some of the stuff isn't their that is in the real version.
Time is repeating itself. Why you say? Look at the Wii and NES and you'll know why.

megamush

• Infinite member error
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 02:59:37 PM »
so yeah its like a beta...
What ever you do don't press Ctrl-W

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 09:16:24 PM »
Thanks guys.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

megamush

• Infinite member error
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 10:54:02 AM »
Your Welcome Kimimaru!
What ever you do don't press Ctrl-W

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 12:45:32 PM »
I have both of the demo versions that you mentioned and we'll be adding them to the Lost Bytes section eventually.

Linkin800

• Choppy words and a sloppy flow
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 01:12:58 PM »
Megabyte I dident know you steal demo's from stores. Shame on you!

(But where did you really get them? Ebay?)
Time is repeating itself. Why you say? Look at the Wii and NES and you'll know why.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 10:15:44 PM »
I also found a version of Super Mario Bros. 2 at a mall that I have never seen before. I only saw the title screen and it was kind of like this:

l____________________________ l

It showed the outside of the castle as well, and you were able to choose Mario or Luigi game like in the SMAS version. It didn't, however, say the title of the game, let alone the "2" on the right side of the box. Does anyone know if this is the Super Famicom version? The title screen was translated completely, and there was no Wii around, so it couldn't have been the SMB2 on the VC.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 11:51:21 PM »
That's a pirate version of SMB2 (J).

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 11:26:55 AM »
I remember playing that demo of Superstar Saga. Your HP (and possibly BP, though I can't remember) was replenished when you leveled up, like in SMRPG, and it ended after the first screen of Hoohoo Mountain, iirc.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Print