Print

Author Topic: Super Mario Sunshine's Invisible Shines  (Read 2918 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« on: December 21, 2002, 09:03:46 PM »
This isn't really a bug as I previously thougtht, but it does show lack of standardization in the programming of Super Mario Sunshine.  Checkout the screenshots on my site below to see what I mean.

http://www.geocities.com/dennisshows/secretshinestrangness.htm

My current TV doesn't have video out so the screenshots are actually pictures of the screen.  Also, I forgot to set my camera resolution.  The images are really 640 x 480, but I forced them into a smaller space.  Sorry for those of you low bandwidth, but I don't plan on edit them.

Deezer, feel free to use any of this on TMK.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2002, 01:10:42 AM »
But... um... does this really matter? Or does it just bug you?

"Thus has it ever been! Thus shall it ever be!"
That was a joke.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2002, 01:45:45 PM »
Both, it bothers me and it doesn't really matter.  When I did it the first time I thought that the game had screwed up and I had lost my shinesprite.  But, when I did it again it still didn't show, but was counted.  After getting the first episode shinesprite it appeared.  It was frustrating and weird.  But, it doesn't really matter now that I figured it out because it doesn't let you into a minus world or get over 120 sprites or anything like that.

By the way I got 999 coins in Pinna Park and Delfina Isle / Airstrip.  Are there any other places to get a lot of coins?  Also, is it possible to get any of the episodes out of order?
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2002, 04:35:51 PM »
There's one shine I know of that you can do out of order:  the first two in Bianca hills.  You can skip right past the raising of the hill (or raise it and skip the shine,) and go right ahead to Petey Piranha.  There's even a pianta who tells you you're going out of order.

Go Moon!
Go Moon!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2002, 12:01:10 AM »
That's weird, because on (I think) all the other Shines the necessary stuff for getting other Shines (besides the one you're trying to get) is either blocked off or isn't there yet. Weird.
That was a joke.

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2002, 07:01:52 PM »
That's not really anything to worry about there. What are the odds that they would have caught that anyway?
"I'm a stupid fatty and I like to play with my Easy Bake oven." - frostbite

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2002, 12:13:03 AM »
Good point, because the people who buy a game are likely to play it a whole lot more than the people who tested it.

If people don`t appreciate good taste, that`s their own problem.
That was a joke.

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2003, 09:41:11 PM »
Luigison, are you still whinging about the "???" Shine Sprites? They're called "Secret Shine Sprites". They're in those levels where you enter a cave or something, then theres a scene where Shadow Mario(Bowser Jr.)steals FLUDD. When you finish the game a red dome-switch thing is there. ground pound on top of it. get all the red coins that appear, then a new shine appears in front or near the shine you already have. Then when you pick which episode you want to go to, down the bottom theres a shine marked "???". Thats the shine you got by collecting all red coins in that weird room!

King of Pink, That's Me!
Find your inner monkey.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2003, 11:09:40 PM »
PKB,
     I know about the ??? Secret Shine Sprites.  I now have 113 Shines and am missing 7 of them from the "weird rooms" as you call them.
     My "whinging" (sic.) is about the fact that Secret Shines don't appear on the Score or Z button screens until after you collect a regular episode Shine.  See my screenshots at:

http://www.geocities.com/dennisshows/secretshinestrangness.htm

It's not really important, but it made me wonder when it first happened to me.

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2003, 11:11:43 PM »
Oh sorry,I guess it is weird...

King of Pink, That's Me!
Find your inner monkey.

Print