Print

Author Topic: SSBB Leak Thread [SPOILERS]  (Read 54344 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #180 on: February 11, 2008, 07:07:45 PM »
Also, why are people using spoiler tags in a topic titled SSBB Leak Thread [SPOILERS]? There's enough of a warning in the title, I think.
Because there's "Luigi is a character (even though it was more likely that I'd die getting out of bed than that he would be cut)" spoilers, and then there's "Here's the ending of the Subspace Emissary" spoilers. I mean, since, by all accounts, I really should be playing this game right now, I've allowed myself exposure to most spoilers. However, I'd like certain, more important bits hidden. Not like I'm telling you what to post, though--if I see something I wish I hadn't coming up, I'll just try to ignore it or deal with it.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #181 on: February 11, 2008, 07:29:37 PM »
I don't get it, if people want fighting games on flat planes with no items, why don't they play Street Fighter II, Street Fighter 3, Soul Calibur, Tekken, Tekken 2, Tekken 3, King of Fighters, Virtua Fighter, Dead or Alive, etc. because they are a lot better for that style of game play.

The people who play Smash Bros in that style are usually the same people who can't win at normal fighting games such as those you suggested.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #182 on: February 14, 2008, 04:51:36 PM »
Smash Brothers games are completely different from normal fighting games, even with a flat stage and no items.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #183 on: February 14, 2008, 06:43:12 PM »
Yeah, but anybody who calls 'em "party games" gets a smack in the face.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #184 on: February 14, 2008, 07:08:35 PM »
In that case, we have no choice but to call it a unique two-dimensional movement gravitational-centered platforming-utility-aided-combat simulator!

megamush

• Infinite member error
« Reply #185 on: February 14, 2008, 08:55:37 PM »
In that case, we have no choice but to call it a unique two-dimensional movement gravitational-centered platforming-utility-aided-combat simulator!
sounds catchy!
What ever you do don't press Ctrl-W

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #186 on: February 14, 2008, 09:53:11 PM »
They are Smash Bros. Games
Much like Zelda games.
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #187 on: February 14, 2008, 09:57:22 PM »
Third-person puncher-bludgeoner-jumper.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #188 on: February 14, 2008, 11:40:17 PM »
Chup's right. Smash Bros. is a genre, started by the game Super Smash Bros. Other games in the genre include Jump Super Stars and Viewtiful Joe: Red Hot Rumble.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #189 on: February 15, 2008, 09:58:38 AM »
That's the double-edged sword of inventing a helf-new genre... every time someone makes another game like it, it's called a "rip-off".

« Reply #190 on: February 15, 2008, 09:59:02 AM »
So, basically every other game in he genre is terrible? Well, no wonder Smash Bros is adding third party characters. Those com[anies can't even field a roster. Imagine a Sega Smah Bros. It'd be....50% Sonic characters and then obscureness like Samba de amigo and that kid from Decap attack. Actually, as a Sega fanboy from the nineties that's cool to ME but...

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #191 on: February 15, 2008, 11:20:48 AM »
So, is it called a "rip-off" when it's still at least published by Nintendo, as is the case with the two Jump games (which both go against that whole "lack of roster" thing by each having more playable characters than Brawl and having "clones" be slightly different movesets for the same character rather than different characters with shared moves)? Personally, I love being able to use Jotaru Kujo and Dio Brando (WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY) or Bobo-bo Bo-bobobo and Yugi Mutou to beat up Goku, Monkey D. Luffy, and Naruto just as much as I love being able to use Pichu to beat up Link, Mario, and Mr. G&W.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #192 on: February 15, 2008, 12:36:52 PM »
 Imagine all the wacky fun to be had with the stage builder? The stages look a bit too cramped this time. It's usually just a plain flat platform flying across the sky with a cool background. Thank god the temple is back! I hate small stages. Also thank god there is a stage builder! With that you can make wacky areas like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxfmDv8quIs

Also. does Kirby seem to by kinda like..... surfing on the boxes? I wonder how you do that.....
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #193 on: February 15, 2008, 06:00:32 PM »
Brawl appears to have tangibility more prominent than Melee. I saw this video in which Ness whacked someone with the bat, and the victim flew into another person, at least dealing some knockback (I don't remember whether or not the unlucky fellow took damage). The same thing would happen in Melee when you'd throw a person, but most of the time non-damaging hitboxes wouldn't do anything upon collision. Standing on crates happens now.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #194 on: February 15, 2008, 06:45:33 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxfmDv8quIs

Also. does Kirby seem to by kinda like..... surfing on the boxes? I wonder how you do that.....
I fully expect to see a bunch of Stage Builder stages that focus on box surfing now. That was pretty cool. I imagine in the normal game that there would be only a few opportunities to do that though. Wonder if it's possible to recreate the "Donkey Kong balancing on metal barrel" trick in the first DKC. And Stage Builder's looking better, looks like you can create big varied stages with it.

How long until we see recreations of N64 and GameCube stages that didn't make it in? Or recreations of the old Hit The Targets stages? I always thought it'd be cool to fight in one of those stages because of the variety (probably since it was meant to be solo). That will certainly be what I'll re-create when I get the game.
You didn't say wot wot.

Print