Poll

Did you, honestly, feel any strong emotions regarding the Companion Cube?

Yes
1 (14.3%)
No
6 (85.7%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Print

Author Topic: The Companion Cube  (Read 2839 times)

Glorb

• Banned
« on: February 22, 2009, 01:47:12 PM »
Something that's been nagging me for a long while: Of the people who played Portal, how many honestly felt bad about incinerating the Companion Cube? The whole day I started (and finished) Portal, I felt not one pang of guilt over the "death" of an inanimate cube that you spend one level with, and honestly question the sanity of anyone who actually did.
every

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 05:28:59 PM »
I didn't really feel bad at all, for two reasons.

One: there wasn't an option. If I had the option to burn it, perhaps I may have felt a little guilty.

Two: The cube was introduced only a level or so before the incident. If the cube was around for the whole game, I may have become more emotionally attached.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 06:18:04 PM »
I didn't care. I actually burnt it so fast that GLaDOS told me I broke some kind of record!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 07:56:53 PM »
I'm assuming that was a joke.
Anyway, afaik, the cube only appears in the incineration level. I had problems because there was a heart on it, but otherwise I didn't feel bad.
That was a joke.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 08:47:00 PM »
I think it would be more interesting to see if anyone experienced negative emotional feelings when they didn't get cake. I sure did. As for the cube, it was probably a skank who would fool around with anyone it saw and therefore I'm glad it's dead.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 09:08:18 PM »
Portal: Prelude is even less emotional regarding Weighted Companion Cube - you'll probably burn a dozen of the poor guys before you actually get to take him with you, which makes me question the purpose of using him there instead of a regular Aperture Science Weighted Storage Cube. Of course, Portal: Prelude sucks, so...

Chupperson is correct; he only appears in Testchamber 17.

I think if it wasn't spoiled all over the place the event would've been a lot more emotional. Same for if he was introduced earlier on - even one level would've been enough.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 09:20:09 PM »
I always thought WCC would have a bigger role in the game seeing as how it gets mentioned all the time. Its lack of screen time confounded me even more as to why it's a big deal.
That was a joke.

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 11:24:11 PM »
I didn't particularly want to burn it, but I wasn't terribly crushed upon having to do so. Bobman's right; it really should've had a bigger role.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 11:51:08 PM »
It wasn't made up and then given a role. The role came first. The developers noticed players weren't realizing that the test chamber revolved around using that one block, so they added the hearts and the name and the rest.

To answer the question, not really... but pretending to was fun. But I was kind of punched when GLaDOS says, in the battle, "I invited your best friend the Companion Cube. Too bad he couldn't come because you, murdered him."
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 12:09:23 AM »
I think that was my favorite line in the whole game.

Rao

• Arr! Ay! Oh!
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 12:12:30 AM »
I didn't like burning WCC. He was so cute. :(
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 12:39:59 AM by Rao »
What's your problem, Cambodian?

Print