Print

Author Topic: Achievements  (Read 7161 times)

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2009, 09:12:20 PM »
I'm not sure that lack of single-card multiplayer is a design decision. Considering it now though, I guess it could be a ploy to charge more money.
That was a joke.

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2009, 01:17:18 PM »
I like achievements because in they can give the player more to do in a game where it would otherwise be just "oh, I beat the game, time to move on eto another one". This way, the gamer has more to do in a single game, and gives them more time in a game (which helps when you're waiting to earn enough money to afford a new game).
I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants.
 - A. Whitney Brown

Girls are always running through my mind. They don't dare walk.
 - Andy Gibb

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2009, 07:33:58 PM »
Well, I just remembered the other day, I actually have played a game with true-blue Achievements (well, not the 360 ones, but you know what I mean): LittleBigPlanet.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2009, 10:32:44 PM »
Saying that Wii games are devoid of achievements isn't entirely true -- SSBB has over 100, you know.

What I find infuriating is when games include achievements and unlockables which require external functions that not all gamers have access to, such as having to visit another person's town to unlock Nookington's in Animal Crossing: Wild World. Wi-fi is NOT a given for all gamers, Nintendo.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2009, 11:35:02 PM »
But they're aiming to make it one!
That was a joke.

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2009, 03:44:08 PM »
...True, but such is wishful thinking. I live in the capitol city of the wrold's second-largest nation, and our house only became eligible for any sort of broadband internet hardly a year ago.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2009, 04:14:11 PM »
Almost two months later, I have new stuff to add to my previous thoughts regarding Achievements.

- Steam's Achievement system is still really buggy. I've heard about stuff going on with the newest Team Fortress 2 update (which also removes the prerequisite of a certain number of Achievements in order to unlock weapons) where people have gotten Achievements they hadn't earned. Also, I've received Explodonator and Ask Me About Mustache Mode (from Plants vs. Zombies) a few times each.

- Continuing with this train of thought, the last three games I bought on Steam (Defense Grid: The Awakening, Gravitron 2, and Plants vs. Zombies) all have Achievements, continuing a trend I hope catches on with more developers. Furthermore, they have the kinds of Achievements that can be earned through normal gameplay (though usually they require some ability, like hypnotizing a lead dancer zombie to earn the Walk This Way Achievement in Plants vs. Zombies or reflecting a shot back at a turret to earn an Achievement in Gravitron 2) rather than the kind that you have to go out of the way to earn.

- Valve earned an Achievement the other day. It's the only way they'll learn.

I'm still a fan of the concept of Achievements, and still stand by the opinion that Neopets Puzzle Adventure has one of the worst applications of Achievements I've ever seen (in the DS version, anyway). Furthermore, Eternity's Child, lolololololololololol.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2010, 07:54:33 AM »

Print