Print

Author Topic: Annoying Voiceovers  (Read 13808 times)

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« on: February 11, 2011, 09:57:59 PM »
Ever played a game where, for some reason or another, you can't stand the voice-acting? Post about it here.

I picked up Super Swing Golf Season Two (the second Pangya Wii game) about a month ago because I loved Pangya Portable, but I've hardly played it because the English voices are awful. All of them. And it would be bad enough just with annoying voices, but these voices don't even match the characters.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 10:18:15 PM »
Didn't really care for Willa Holland's acting for Aqua in Kingdom Hearts: Birthy by Sleep, but I was too busy listening to Haley Joel Osment and Leonard Nimoy being evil to feel too strongly about that.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 10:31:15 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zygDzAkothQ" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zygDzAkothQ</a>

I think the voice acting in Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World is part of why I still haven't finished it. Some of the voice actors are the same good ones from the first game, but the ones that aren't don't sound anything like the originals, nor do they sound much good on their own merits.

Baten Kaitos was bad, but in a funny way. (Baten Kaitos Origins's voice acting is a huge improvement, though; among the best on the GCN)
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 10:47:00 PM »
The Arc Rise Fantasia dub reminds me of Chaos Wars, except still loads better. Seriously, Chaos Wars has one of the worst English dubs ever. Though it at least has Japanese voices as an option...which would be great if the game didn't suck balls.

Also, ARF was one of the first things that came up when I was looking for an undub for Super Swing Golf Season Two earlier. :\

Castle Shikigami 2 has a pretty awful dub too, but it's bearable in that because you can turn off the story stuff and it's a great game anyway.

And Turtlekid, you didn't even play the game.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 10:53:33 PM »
And probably never will.  Your point?
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 11:42:40 PM »
The voice acting in the DS remake of Final Fantasy IV was atrociously wooden and stilted.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 11:48:39 PM »
I found the hero's voice in Final Fantasy X annoying.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2011, 02:08:14 AM »
I was annoyed by Pandora's voice in God of War III.

How the X is Leonard Nimoy still sitting around voice-acting KH games. Seriously, how the X
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 07:47:23 PM by Sapphira »

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 02:47:01 AM »
Turtlekid: You might want to work on your basic reading comprehension for the next time someone posts a thread asking for the opinions of people who have played games rather than watching other people play them on YouTube.

Weegee: Now I wonder if the PSP port of FF4 and The After Years is going to be voiced. I bet Square Enix would just get the same voice actors - or worse, just reuse the stuff recorded for FF4DS.

Toad: Yeah, Tidus can be pretty annoying, but not as much as hearing "LADY YUNIE" over and over.

Also annoying in a game with "X" in the title: the DDR X announcer. They had a great announcer from DDRMAX through Dance Dance Revolution SuperNOVA 2, so why'd they have to go and change it to some lame new guy? And unfortunately, this change wasn't just a US thing, so I have to hear it regardless of which version I play.

Lizard Dude: It also had Mark Hamill, who I guess would've gone straight from Darksiders to that.

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 02:52:58 AM »
Valkyria Chronicles 2. I want to shoot Avan every time he opens that mouth of his to laugh at some stupid joke. It also doesn't help that he doesn't sound nearly as cool as Welkin.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 03:56:58 AM »
Oh, come on, Avan's not that bad.

...Okay, yes, he is. But I've heard worse. It's not nearly as bad as in the Pangya Wii game, which has me to the point that I'll go through the effort of making an undub myself if I have to (or would if I could find the Korean or Japanese versions of the game anywhere ;_;).

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 05:08:25 AM »
Lizard Dude: It also had Mark Hamill, who I guess would've gone straight from Darksiders to that.
Mark Hamill isn't 129 years old.

P.S. Tidus is okay in my book.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 05:58:07 AM »
Tidus is fine until you hear someone else playing Final Fantasy X in the same room and hear

LIVE AND LET LIVE
LIVE AND LET LIVE
LIVE AND LET LIVE
LIVE AND LET LIVE
LIVE AND LET LIVE
LIVE AND LET LIVE
LIVE AND LET LIVE
LIVE AND LET LIVE
LIVE AND LET LIVE
LIVE AND LET LIVE

Not so much "annoying" voiceovers, but: I tried to play Disgaea Infinite with the Japanese voices, but I had to switch back to English because I'm so used to those (Disgaea DS was my introduction to the series and lacked language options).

Also, I don't like Morrigan's new voice in Tatsunoko vs. Capcom.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 01:19:45 AM »
Saki in Tatsunoko vs. Capcom. The fact that she is an utter banshee may or may not be a bad thing, considering it makes me fight her three times harder than I fight any other character, because I don't want to hear her screech any more syllables than she has to.

I mean, I hate everyone's voice in TvC; Frank West's, because it is so not his voice (but it is HILARIOUS! TO THE MOON!), everyone else's because they couldn't be bothered to get English voices (after all the trouble to get Ultimate All-Stars to be released in English-speaking territories, why didn't they go the whole nine yards? It bothers me). But Saki... is worse than knives on plates, nails on chalkboards, and knives and plates and nails and chalkboards in blenders.

Edit: There is one voice clip in TvC I like: when Casshan switches out with his partner character, it sounds like he's saying "Pound 'em."

"Pound 'em!"
"DON'T WORRY PAL!"
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 01:21:30 AM by BP »
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 01:52:49 AM »
I can't stand the American voices for some of the Street Fighter IV characters. El Fuerte and T. Hawk come to mind.

Oh yeah, and Mega Man 8. Holy [dukar] that was bad.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 01:14:15 AM by PaperLuigi »
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Print