Print

Author Topic: Mario references in Zelda: Wind Waker  (Read 11343 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« on: March 29, 2003, 11:21:45 AM »
Post any Mario related info from WindWaker here.

I noticed that the sound in windwaker when you cancel the fight of a bird was borrowed from supermario64.

Anyone notice other references.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2003, 04:02:07 PM »
I'll be sure to look around.

The Wind Waker is truly an amazing game.
 n/a

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2003, 06:27:40 PM »
Isn't it, though? I never thought it looked bad in the first place, not for its graphics or for any other reason, but now that I'm playing it, I'm astounded.

I posted in BORED!! With a pinch of salt.
The weaker you are, the stronger you can become.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2003, 07:24:00 PM »
I want it.

I fear the monkey in your soul.
That was a joke.

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2003, 10:08:59 PM »
If you save up for and buy it before a CD burner, I won't be upset.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2003, 10:18:15 PM »
Hehe.
I don't think I need it THAT bad... heheh

That was a joke.

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2003, 10:43:28 PM »
Oh, I didn't know you wanted a CD burner more than The Wind Waker. I'm so enthralled with the game that I just assumed you would want it more.

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2003, 02:28:10 PM »
The game seems a bit too easy.  By the way, if you return to Outset after leaving for awhile you can fight Orca for real.  Not just practice.  You have to hit him a certain number of times (100, 300, 500...)before he hits you 3 times.
Yoshi likes to dance in his backwards saddle!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2003, 09:48:06 PM »
I believe the subject was originally Mario references in Zelda: WindWaker.

On topic:  I wonder if Talon or any of the picture from Z:OoT are in WindWaker

Off topic:  I wonder if they will issue a bonus disk of SM64 when the new SM128 comes out like they did with Z:OoT with Z:WW.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2003, 11:16:46 PM »
Too easy? Well, that's good, because I think OoT is WAY TOO DANG HARD.

That was a joke.

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2003, 11:00:47 AM »
Yeah, but it's fun though.  I don't want a bonus disk with Super Mario 128.  I've beaten SM64.  Unless they come out with a harder version.  By the way, Oot is NOT hard.  Just confusing.  The only reason it took me about 3 months to beat is because of that key in the water temple you have to get.

By the way, prepare to be disappointed in the first two bosses.  They stunk pretty badly.  *sigh* I hope it gets harder soon.  By the way, for those of you who hate traveling great distances across the sea, you'll get something to warp soon.

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2003, 05:28:32 PM »
I averted my eyes from Mario Master's post because it was screaming "SPOILERS!!" at me.

Luigison, I'm sorry, but I must stay off-topic so I can put this quote here. It is perfect. Read these words from GamePro about The Wind Waker that do complete justice to my feelings for the game:

“A brilliant, dazzling wonder, no matter how you feel about Link’s new pants. It stretches tried-and-true Zelda gameplay where change was due, and leaves it alone where it’s always worked. If this game doesn’t make you happy, then it’s physically impossible for you to be happy.”

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2003, 09:02:52 PM »
Okay, Mario Master, you're right. OoT's gameplay in itself isn't that hard, but I find it incredibly hard to figure out what to do. I beat Volvagia today.

But again, I drag the topic off topic, as always.

Okay, this isn't a Mario reference, but it could be a Star Fox Adventures reference.
Can Link zoom in on stuff in Majora's Mask? (I haven't played it.)
If not, the telescope in TWW might be a copy of Fox's Zoom Goggles.

That was a joke.

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2003, 07:14:50 PM »
Off-Topic

Wind Waker and SFA are alike, and CW, I don't know which is better SFA or Wind Waker. SFA was the best game for GCN, but, it's kinda tough now.
 n/a

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2003, 07:23:10 PM »
I played it at Kmart, and it was pretty darn cool... but I still think I like SFA better...

That was a joke.

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2003, 08:53:55 PM »
If anything, fox's zoom goggles are probably a copy of banjo's amaze-o-gaze goggles, that let you zoom in and out. just 'cause both games were made by rare. but I haven't REALLY played star fox adventures so I'm not sure if it's even the same thing.

The world would be a much cleaner place if people would eat their own trash.
"At Dukar, we place our emphasis on serving you, supporting
you, and helping you be as successful as possible."

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2003, 12:45:23 AM »
Hmm... Weird how many Rare games have some sort of tool that you can use for zooming... Goldeneye and Perfect Dark both had sniper rifles, as did Jet Force Gemeni, Donkkey Kong 64 had an upgrade to the waepons that let you zoom, and then there's Banjo-Tooie and Star Fox Adventures.

Rare and their zooming.

Oh, and slightly more on topic, there is one guy on the flight control platform who has a pointy moustache like Waluigi's, but I think he's actually supposed to resemble some aeronaut (whose name escapes me at the moment.)

Go Moon!
Go Moon!

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2003, 06:57:23 PM »
Talking about Mario References,I might have found something in OOT....

Talon looks like mario,Ingo is luigi & malon is peach.Look closely!

Do you know when we die,we''ll be boos too?
Find your inner monkey.

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2003, 07:38:20 PM »
Everybody knows that.

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2003, 08:37:13 PM »
So much for my discovery....

Find your inner monkey.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2003, 08:40:09 PM »
And they're all wearing Bowser medallions.
That was a joke.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2003, 08:52:05 PM »
I played Wind Waker at Best Buy, and I found the graphics to be pretty cool. (I mean it really DOES look like an animated movie.) Unfortunately, I'll never get to buy it NOR rent it 'til I get my GCN privilages back.  *Sigh*...  I've lost it since late January. I guess for now, playing it at Best Buy'll have to do.

(Sorry this is off topic)
BTW, in mentioning SM64, I found that game really hard (I STILL can't get more than 100 Stars), yet I found SMS to be easier--probably 'cuz of the better control.

--------------------
Deep inside us all is a little green elf telling us to burn things.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2003, 12:47:19 AM »
"Can Link zoom in on stuff in Majora's Mask? (I haven't played it.)"
– Chupperson

I think Link can zoom when he uses the telescope in the observatory, but I'm not positive about that. The TV that my N64 is hooked up to is in use at the moment, so I cannot check to make sure right now.

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2003, 03:36:35 PM »
The Wind Waker is just great. It has so many side quests.
 n/a

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2003, 03:41:57 PM »
As I live in Australia,I gotta wait till may to get my Wind Waker game...at least I ordered it!Ill just have to keep going to Kmart & Target to play it...actually just Target,Kmart wont fix there GC there or turn it on, i dunno!

Find your inner monkey.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2003, 09:15:37 PM »
SM64... hard?
Hoo heh... um...
Well, whatever...
I find that if you try enough times, any star is easier to get.
That was a joke.

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2003, 05:05:57 PM »
My brother just told me that one of the pirates in The Wind Waker has a Chain Chomp necklace.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2003, 06:38:33 PM »
Well a lot of the Stars are really EASY to get, but there's several that I can't seem to get, particularly in getting all 8 red coins in the Bowser levels (You have to get them all AND defeat Bowser w/o dying.)

I don't know. It's weird. Some games I can beat no prob that people struggle with, but others that are 'easier' are harder.

--------------------
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2003, 08:21:43 PM »
If SM128 did come with the SM64 bonus disk, it would be cool if the could modify it so that you can play Luigi! Because the GCN disk holds more memory.......right?

That would be awesome!

Don''t argue with an idiot. They will take you to their level and beat you with experience.
Don''t argue with an idiot. They will take you to their level and beat you with experience.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2003, 09:32:52 PM »
A GameCube disc is equal to 190 copies of Super Mario 64.

Sapphira, you don't have to do both things at once. You can get all 8 red coins and get the star, and quit the course.

You can be silent and let the world think you are a fool, or you can open your mouth and remove all doubt.
That was a joke.

« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2003, 04:34:19 AM »
Ive looked round,& found glitches!
1:In Tower of Gods,the statue says "My kin wait through the doors" kin is supposed to be kind.
2:When you show Beedle a skull necklace,hell say "I can only buy (Number) neckalce.
He said Necklace wrong.

The wind....
It is blowing....
Find your inner monkey.

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2003, 07:48:00 AM »
 "1:In Tower of Gods,the statue says "My kin wait through the doors" kin is supposed to be kind."

While I'm not sure where you're talking about, "My kind wait through the doors" doesn't make all that much sense either. You do know that "Kin" is a word, right?

Anyways, I found Wind Waker easier than the already easy Ocarina of Time. Although, it took me 2 days longer to beat, my first time through.

As for Mario References, I'm sure there must be one, somewhere, yet, I can't think of any, even after completeing the game. However, it's been awhile since I've played it, too. Ah well, maybe I'll notice one sometime.

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2003, 05:39:26 PM »
Yeah, kin basically means family. Also, my brother apparently lied when he said one of the pirates has a chain chomp necklace, because none of the pirates have a chain chomp necklace.

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2003, 06:50:04 PM »
I see mushroom people!
 I always have the latest info.Did you know that I farted?PPPPPPHHHHMmmmmmmmmhhh!!

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2003, 06:52:52 PM »
i like cheese and macaroni baloni
 I always have the latest info.Did you know that I farted?PPPPPPHHHHMmmmmmmmmhhh!!

« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2003, 06:56:41 PM »
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm baloni do you like baloni? howe du yu spall mi yusr naem stupedddddd mocee

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2003, 06:57:38 PM »
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm baloni do you like baloni? howe du yu spall mi yusr naem stupedddddd mocee

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2003, 06:57:51 PM »

« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2003, 03:49:01 AM »
Stop spamming,stupid monkey!(haha im good)
Okay so I didnt know kin was a word,but they could of spelt kin wrong,because all the rest are statues,& they are of the **SAME** kind as the first statue.

The wind....
It is blowing....
Find your inner monkey.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2003, 10:31:35 PM »
Kin means people like you as well as family. Like in Middle-earth all the Men say they're kin, and so do Elves, so it can mean like people of the same race.
That was a joke.

« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2003, 05:37:54 PM »
The letter-mailing guy on Windfall kind of looks like a weird version of Mario, I guess. That's about it. Maybe Miyamoto read that "They hate Mario in Zelda" webpage.

“I’m a stupid fatty and I love to play with my Easy Bake oven!”

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2003, 10:18:10 AM »
I'm pretty sure I found some, but I can't remember what they are.

Ack! I want that game so badly!! But noo-oo, my parents don't want me to be addicted to it by the time school starts. >:(  *sniffle* I haven't gotten a new game since CHRISTMAS, for crying out loud!!! *sniffle*  They won't even let me buy it with my own money :( , which is what I usually do anyway.

--------------------

« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2003, 10:37:17 AM »
Down here in the South, the word 'kin' is used quite often.
 n/a

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2003, 10:49:36 AM »
"Down here in the South"? *shudders*  Uhh...I don't think so... We live in the same state, you know...

(Yes, I'm familiar with "kin." But I will *never* be a Sountherner.  Heh, I'm a Mary-Cali-Cari girl. ;P)

--------------------

« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2003, 12:44:10 PM »
I know it's been a while since stupidmonkey mentioned it, but "boloni" is spelt         B-O-L-O-G-N-A.Not B-O-L-O-N-I.
Your sig is annoying. -Deezer

« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2003, 02:58:09 PM »
Down here in the South"? *shudders* Uhh...I don't think so... We live in the same state, you know...

Naw, I just saying that I have a lot of... well, 'Rebels' who talk like hillbillies or something. By the way, I didn't know you lived in NC.
 n/a

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2003, 04:17:05 PM »
lol. Pschaw, most of the people where I live used to live in other states (just like me); we don't have many true native North Carolinians.

Oh, and I've mentioned to you specifically at least two other times that I live in NC. *shrugs* Oh well... XD

Oh, speaking of NC, 3 days ago marked the 2nd anniversary of me living here. Wow, time flies... @_@

--------------------

« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2003, 01:06:45 PM »
Try comparing Garrickon on Windfall Island to Fire Mario.I think that's a reference.

I see mushroom people!

Print