Print

Author Topic: Nintendo DS  (Read 2358 times)

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« on: January 21, 2004, 12:54:39 PM »
The mystery machine has been revealed! The new machine is called the Nintendo DS, and it will be a completely new portable gaming device, like the GBA, but with two screens!!! ?

Is this the next brilliant thing from Nintendo, or is it the next Virtual Boy?  We'll just have to wait and see.

Check out http://cube.ign.com/articles/473/473998p1.html for more info.

This is not a signature.

Edited by - Hirocon on 1/21/2004 10:57:40 AM

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2004, 03:38:32 PM »
Wow whee!

Old news, I already heard about it this morning, at IGN even!!

What is that I don't understand that is this console really portable? What sort of games (other than soccer) would need two screens? Will this product be an alternative to the GameBoy Advance Game-Link (less likely since it is getting very successful)?

We'll have to wait until E3 2004 to know more about it...
I wonder which third-party company will support the Nintendo DS?

Hmmmmmmm..................

I am a pure Super Mario lover!!
...and in no point in the future will he ever be abandonded by me!
I will even drawn the best Super Mario comics ever to exist!!
I am a pure Super Mario lover!! ...and in no point in the future will he ever be abandonded by me!
I will even draw the best Super Mario comics ever to exist!!

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2004, 04:34:46 PM »
I really don't think two screens would help enough on any game to make it worthwhile(the human eye can't focus on more than one object at a time). And how much is that thing gonna cost? A new-age game system + TWO SCREENS? By looking at that drawing they made, are we looking at $500 for buying the system here? And if that "portable" thing runs on batteries, what'll it take? 8 AAs for 4 hours? Also, if it runs off of downloaded software, won't that just encourage piracy?(software piracy is a lot easier than regular video game piracy). And how will the software be downloaded? From game cartridges(pass it around the whole school for download so they don't have to buy the game), from the Internet(illegal downloads will be everywhere), or from a special new machine in game stores(would be quite costly to get, the stores may just not want anything to do with this device)? All present problems for Nintendo's game sales! I just don't think this system will work out.

Edited by - CashCrazed on 1/21/2004 2:39:17 PM
"I'm a stupid fatty and I like to play with my Easy Bake oven." - frostbite

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2004, 06:58:07 PM »
CashCrazed, the download will most likely be like the iQue in China such that the console and memory cart have a unique id built into their chips that will not allow them to work seperately.  Also they have a card that has a unique code that has to be used to add games to the memory.  I think this may not stop the desire to pirate games, but should make it very hard to do and possibly too expensive.  That is, the modifications needed might actually cost more than the games you wanted in the first place.  China has a lot of piracy of other Nintendo games, but no one has cracked the iQue yet.  But, we will have to wait and see what happens in the US.  I love my iQue because of its portability of N64 games with a much better controller design.  I wish we had an actual pic of a DS.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2004, 07:30:19 PM »
I think the most important question is, will any remotely fun games come out? I mean, Soccer? Psh. Puh-lease! Unless a sport game has the word "Mario" in front of it, it's not fun. All sports games are the same. If they don't have a Mario, Kirby, or DK game on it, I'm not getting it unless something really catches me eye.

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2004, 08:19:21 PM »
Ngah! I just posted the whole press release in General Mario Chat! Why didn't I see this earlier?

Black Mage

• HP 1018 MP 685
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2004, 09:19:47 PM »
 Because you didn't look in the correct forum?

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2004, 10:44:53 PM »
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2004, 06:28:36 PM »
"Because you didn't look in the correct forum?"

Oh, be quiet.

Print