Print

Author Topic: Sonic the Hedgehog  (Read 11841 times)

« on: February 16, 2006, 06:04:26 PM »
I think we should have a thread about our favorite blue animal. (No, not Falco from Star Fox.)

Many may think he's Mario's enemy, but I think they're a great team.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 06:50:20 PM »
When have they ever been a team?

How fast do you think he can run? I'm guessing up to 80 mph at his fastest (play Chemical Plant Zone from StH2 or Hydrocity Zone from StH3 to see).

Am I the only one that thinks the current amount of side characters is ridiculously high? All you need is Tails, Knuckles and Dr. Robotnik (I'm primarily a fan of the old, 2-D Sonic games).

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 06:53:10 PM »
I think that they're a great team. But it will never happen.

I actually liked Sonic Heroes since they re-used the Chaotix team. (Except Mighty.)

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 11:21:51 PM »
I personally dislike Sonic, mainly because the stupid blue hedgehog keeps interrupting in Shadow's plans. XD
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 02:38:13 AM »
This makes me have distant memories of some old member who always posted in-character as Shadow or some made-up character in the Sonic universe.

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 04:37:04 AM »
The sad thing is, I know who. I think.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 12:29:46 PM »
Shdow the Hedgehog.  I also have only played the classic 2-D Sonic games, and now that we have Sonic Mega Collection for the GCN, life is sweet...er than before.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 12:55:09 PM »
Am I the only one that thinks the current amount of side characters is ridiculously high? All you need is Tails, Knuckles and Dr. Robotnik (I'm primarily a fan of the old, 2-D Sonic games).

True that. Especially since most of them came completely out of nowhere and with barely any development. I mean come on, who are those random nobodies in Sonic Riders?
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006, 06:54:07 PM »
I like Sonic, and I hate other characters. Eggman is great, Tails is great, and so is Knuckles. I hate Amy and other characters too.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Jman

• Score
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2006, 10:41:19 PM »
Yeah, side characters may be annoying, but they can make the plots of cartoons more interesting. 

As for me, I do prefer the classic Genesis Sonic games.  That is why I bought the Sonic Mega Collection.  I never owned a Genesis, but I knew several people who did.
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2006, 11:58:16 PM »
After Sonic Adventure 1 the series just went downhill. The Chemical Plant Zone PWNS!!!!
Senior Mariology professor

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2006, 10:07:32 AM »
I still own a Genesis, and play Sonic frequently. There are a few rumors that there is an official (as in, not fangame) Sonic/Mario crossover game coming out for the Revolution in '07. Of course, I applaud the idea, but even though Nintendo and Sega are pretty much best buds now, I think it's a buncha malarkey. But it would be cool.
every

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2006, 12:25:36 AM »
Can't they see it would help sales of both Mario and Sonic? I mean... Sonic fans would play, say "Ooh, Mario's an okay game!" and start buying more Mario games... and vice versa.

Anyway, to end my rant... woohoo! I can't wait!

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2006, 10:45:57 AM »
I'm not sure if that would work.. they're too different.  Sonic is cool because he has an attitude, and the evil boss uses robotic ingenuity, while Mario is polite Joe Regular who has enough moral dignity to save the world from an evil boss that is a giant fire-breathing turtle.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 03:23:44 PM by Markio »
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2006, 11:46:05 AM »
My brother is a fan of Sonic, but he hates Mario (omg). He refuses to play any Mario game. As for me, I frequently play a strange and unfinished 2-D sonic game, but that's it.
"MY FAVORITE PART WAS WHEN RICK ASTLEY SAID HE'D NEVER LET ME DOWN" - Cosbydaf

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2006, 06:26:18 PM »
You mean the Sonic 2 prototype? That was actually fun, if only for laughs. And as for the whole Mario/Sonic crossover idea, I actually think the "Generation X" attitude/stereotypical Italian accent contrast is neat. It could be where Bowser and Eggman team up (or something) and the level designs would be a cross between the two games' styles; Sonic's art deco-style flourishes, and Mario's semi-surreal style. Even better yet, Nintendo and/or Sega should release a 2D DS version, and have Mario controlled on the top screen (because that gameplay is more button-press-oriented and slow-paced) and Sonic on the touch screen (because that gameplay is more intuitive, semi-mindless rushing, in a good way). That would be awesome. But then again, neither Nintendo or Sega (or any other console game company) is exactly known for responding to fan-request letters. But we could all band together and nag them!
every

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2006, 04:06:28 PM »
OK, anyone here gonna get Sonic Riders?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2006, 03:45:43 PM »
I hope to. But it might be too "hip" even for my tastes (Sonic on a flying snowboard seems a bit too "Generation X").
every

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2006, 05:01:58 PM »
I'm going to try and rent it first.

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2006, 12:33:01 PM »
I like Sonic. But I think Shadow is HOT.
"If they make greeting cards to thank people for helping with evil plans, I owe you one!" ~Dimentio, Super Paper Mario

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2006, 11:44:11 AM »
I'm thinking about getting Shadow the Hedgehog. Does anyone have an opinion about the game? I want to hear anyone's (Except Ultima Shadow's lol).

I saw on Gamespot that Shadow got.....

4.8 out of 10.  ???

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2006, 11:49:32 AM »
Well, they'd be right. I thought it was just......bad. Sonic Riders is okay, but Shadow the Hedgehog is just the opposite of what Sonc stands for. Light-harted, colorful gameplay. Cool side-quests like the Chao. Funny cut-scenes. Shadow the Hedgehog is a bad game. Don't waste good money buying it. 2/10

This review brought to you buy PaperLuigi and co.

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2006, 12:02:06 PM »
So what about Sonic Riders? x/10?

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2006, 12:19:38 PM »
Sonic Riders is a fast game.....way different than Mario Kart. It's somewhat like Kirby's Air Ride, as you need not to press the A button to accelerate. But for the most part, the air will take you. Not much skill is required, just the abiliaty to spin the control stick real fast. Compared to MK, it is a mindless dash to the finish, imphasized too much on " extreme air and super fast speeds."

Graphics: 6/10. Nothing that coudn't have been done 3 years ago.
Control: 0/10. I give it zero because no control is really required.
Cut-scenes: 10/10. The best part. Beautifully done.
Sound: 7/10 Not bad, it comes out clear. But some of it get's real old. The constant air noise drives me crazy.
Gameplay: 7/10 Multiplayer is fun, with madness at every turn. But story mode is something to be skipped.
Replay Value: Moderate.
Overall: 6/10. It's a game too focused on speed and air. If more control was given to the game, it would have been wonderful. But sadly, it fell short. Go with MK, as I'm sure most of you have.

This review brought to you by "Paper n' Rock. 'Cause one piece of PaperLuigi just isn't enough."

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2006, 12:23:28 PM »

36 divided by 5, and it's a 7.2 out of 10. Not bad.

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2006, 02:39:36 PM »
No, you forgot the zero. The control is terrible. I'm saying "no control required" to be sarcastic. That's why it's 6 overall.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 02:41:19 PM by PaperLuigi »

« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2006, 05:05:18 PM »
Sonic games are going downhill according to most people here.

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2006, 09:13:47 PM »
I once owned Sonic Adventure Battle 2 for GCN.  Best part of the game: the song from the first level, "Escape from the City" or something like that.  That song got stuck in my head (in a good way) for so long... it's coming back...

I'll make it through, prove it to you!
Follow me!
OH YEAH!

Jman

• Score
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2006, 05:05:57 PM »
Speaking of Sonic, how many people here watched the old Saturday morning Sonic cartoon when it was on?  How many of you watch Sonic X?
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2006, 05:56:41 PM »
Sonic X is the definition of dub. It's terrible, I tell ya!

« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2006, 05:59:23 PM »
I disagree. Sonic X is what made me realise just how much cooler Shadow is than Sonic. It's kinda sad that they had to *mumble* him off but it was essential to the plot.

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2006, 10:58:16 PM »
I love Sonic games! I just got into the series somewhat recently (the first Sonic game I ever owned was Sonic Mega Collection for the GCN), but I've rapidly gotten more and more Sonic games as I found out how totally awesome they were. My favorite old Sonic game is Sonic 3 & Knuckles; I've played hours upon hours of that game since I unlocked it on SMC. My favorite newer Sonic game is Sonic Adventure 2: Battle. The gameplay is great, the music is just too cool (I agree with Hirocon, "Escape from the City" is out of this world), and the Chao Garden gives the game endless replay value.

I have also noticed that I am a lot easier to please than other people when it comes to the other 3-D Sonic games; I think the much-maligned Sonic Heroes is a ton of fun to play, and I also really like Shadow the Hedgehog, which for some crazy reason every major game reviewer seems to despise.

The Sonic game I've most recently gotten is Sonic Riders. I've hardly played it at all yet, and I felt a bit disappointed at the beginning because it was somewhat different from what I expected, but then again, I felt disappointed at first when I got Kirby Air Ride (which is very similar in concept to Sonic Riders), but later grew to absolutely love it.
GEIANDGIRLCO DIRECT - The Sensitive Alternative

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2006, 11:09:21 PM »
Hey, whoa, smfan1085's back! *starts cheering*

Yeah, I don't see why StH got such bad reviews. It's discrimination, I tell you!

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2006, 01:50:24 AM »
Whoa, I was just wondering who of all people would be remembering me here, but then I realized that Ultima Shadow was Luigi Simpson! Thanks for the welcome back, man!

I'm actually rather steamed at the way two reviewers at Game Informer magazine gave StH a 4 and a 2 (yes, a 2!) out of 10, and the way one of them responded to some angry readers, telling them in an infuriatingly opinionated manner that the game sucks utterly and only admitting he was wrong in one detail in his review, when he said that Charmy was a robot. (How could anybody except a major UN-fan of the Sonic series mistake Charmy for a robot?!?!?) But, eh, the only reason I get the magazine anyway is because I got a free subscription along with my GameStop card.

« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2006, 02:21:22 AM »
Heh, and don't forget, Ledzeppelinrocks is now also Hyrulian.

Okay, Sonic-related question. For my birthday, I may be getting Legend of Zelda and Pokemon Leaf Green. I have heaps of friends, and since most give money, I'm stuck on what to buy with it, and I decided on a Sonic game for GBA. Question is- which should I purchase?

« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2006, 05:34:30 PM »
Hmmm.......I'd get Sonic Advanced 2, that is, if you don't have it already.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 05:36:07 PM by PaperLuigi »

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2006, 05:42:35 PM »
The only Sonic game I own is Sonic Battle GBA, but it's glitched. =(

« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2006, 10:25:02 PM »
Yeah, Sonic Advance 2 would be a good one to get, but be warned: a lot of the game's special features, including the Tiny Chao Garden and the Sound Test, are unlockables: you have to get all the Chaos Emeralds with a single character to unlock each feature. It's still quite a fun game, though, and I personally don't regret buying it. (I have everything in it unlocked now, including the super-cool Super Sonic battle at the end, even though I did need some help from GameFAQs in finding some of the Special Rings.)

Other good options include Sonic Advance + Sonic Pinball Party (two Tiny Chao Gardens in one game!) and Sonic Advance 3 (no Tiny Chao Garden this time, but it has character voices, a unique tag team gameplay arrangement, and other cool things in it. (Unfortunately, SA3 is also the only Sonic Advance game I completely finished without GameFAQs help.)

P.S. I also figured out that Hyrulian was LZR. Having to keep up with several name changes at KRR Forums made me good at this. :)

« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2006, 10:19:34 AM »
Sonic Battle is fun. You should get it right now because it's really fun.

Any one here play Sonic Adventure 2/Battle?

« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2006, 05:00:12 PM »
I've got Sonic Battle... my first Sonic game. However, it erases itself, meaning I don't get to progress in Story Mode. But, that's okay- I just use Shadow all the time anyway.

« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2006, 06:15:03 PM »
I've got Sonic Battle... my first Sonic game. However, it erases itself, meaning I don't get to progress in Story Mode. But, that's okay- I just use Shadow all the time anyway.

I knew that response would come from you.

« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2006, 07:56:12 PM »
Sonic 2 Battle is really great. It dominates all of the other games he's had out recently. Mainly do to the awesome side quests like the chao.

« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2006, 08:07:21 PM »
If Nintendo and Sega ever unite and make a racing game with a choice of many Sonic/Mario characters and Shadow and Luigi are selectable, I'd be in a terrible dilemma. >:(

« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2006, 08:31:52 PM »
They've already brought Pac-Man and Mario together. Who knows? It may happen!

« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2006, 09:36:14 PM »
Actually, I hope it would be something like Double Dash...

*Uses Chaos Control to teleport into second, then bombards Tails and Mario with electric charges*

« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2006, 10:43:14 AM »
Cheater! You can get to lap 3 in 0:00:001 seconds with chaos control!

« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2006, 03:09:25 PM »
No matter what, I still think Mario's the true Kart master.

Jake

• Mr. Manure
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2006, 03:49:35 PM »
I really <3 Sonic. Great character, great series...well, curently not that good. I played both Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog and both were horrible games. I have not played Sonic Riders yet, though, but I'm betting that won't be any good either. Sadly, the only GBA Sonic games I've played were Sonic Advance 1 & 2.
Professional Paisano here

« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2006, 04:40:03 PM »
Riders is Mario Kart and SSX in 1 game.

I love the game.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2006, 09:01:23 AM »
I think SR is great, except for that Air Gauge crap. Otherwise, it's good. Shadow, though, is another story. Instead of making it simply a Sonic game with guns and pointless angsty crap, it could've been an actual third-person shooter. Think - Sega's done TPSs before: look at GunValkerie! That rocked! Surely they could've done a Sonic shooter without making it horrible.
every

« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2006, 04:38:20 PM »
Agreed. A third-person shooter is much better than a first-person.

« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2006, 08:29:55 PM »
I love sonic. I was never really into mario but I played mario allstars for my snes. Sonic and mario would kick butt. Most people see sonic and mario as enemys even now after the sega vs. nintendo console wars have ended.

« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2006, 07:13:37 PM »
Maybe I should have made a new thread for this, but...

There's going to be a new Sonic game for Wii!

http://www.sega.com/e3/2006/announcements_tp.php?item=pr_20060509a

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6149640.html

« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2006, 08:15:09 PM »

Your a terrible person for bumping this topic that is 100 years old!!! :)

Anyway, the game sounds like it's gonna be great, but Sonic's recent games have not all been what they were hyped up to be. Mabey this'll turn things around.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 08:39:16 PM by PaperLuigi »

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2006, 08:19:53 PM »
I've been pretty ****ed lately at the fact that SonicTeam is slowly digging their own grave within the Sonic fandom. The new Sonic game for the Xbox 360 is not at all how I hoped it would turn out.

« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2006, 07:09:40 AM »

There's going to be a new Sonic game for Wii!

http://www.sega.com/e3/2006/announcements_tp.php?item=pr_20060509a

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6149640.html

The Sonic game for Wii is called Sonic WildFire.

People say the unfinished game I have is a "Sonic 1 Beta" and they "really need it". If they want Clock Ork Zone, they have to get it somewhere else. I'm not giving it to them.
"MY FAVORITE PART WAS WHEN RICK ASTLEY SAID HE'D NEVER LET ME DOWN" - Cosbydaf

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2006, 05:57:26 PM »
You should. You might be doing the Sonic Fan Commutity a great service if you do.

Print