Print

Author Topic: What's your Calendar, Real, and Brain Age?  (Read 8173 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« on: April 11, 2006, 09:29:45 AM »
   Calendar Age is your chronological age according to the calendar.  That is, based on your birthday.  For example, I was born on Jan. 11th, 1973.  Since today is Apr. 11th, 2006 I am approx. 33.3 years old.  This could be given in years, months, and/or days, but I gave it in decimal years for easier comparison to the other ages.

Real Age is your bodies apparent age as compared to the age of others whose body is in your condition.  For example, a thirty year old drug addict may have a much older Real Age because of the havoc the drugs are doing to their body, while a thirty year old athelete may have a much younger Real Age due to their excellent health.  To find your Real Age take the survey at http://www.realage.com.  BTW, my Real Age so far is 35.5, but I haven't completed all of the survey.

Brain Age is your brain's age based on a series of daily tests using Nintendo's 'Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day' for the Nintendo DS.  Brain Age has a North American release date of Apr. 17th, 2006.  Until then you can try the demo at a local store:  http://www.nintendo.com/dsdownloadstation/  I downloaded it at Best Buy, buy my local Game Crazy also had a demo station.

In the Brain Age demo the first time I did the Stroop test (say the color of the word, not the word) I scored in the 80's, the second time got in the 70's, and the third time I got in the 60's.  In the training (addition and multiplication) I typically scored in 'walking speed', but got 'bicycle speed' at least once.  I need to relearn some of my multiplication tables.  The Suduoku in Brain Age is the quickest and easiest way to 'play' Sudoku I've ever seen. 

To test your brain speed go to http://www.positscience.com/programs/brainspeed.php  Be sure your speakers are on and you don't have too many distracting sounds.

Luigison's ages as of Apr. 17, 2006
 Calendar Age: 33.3
 Real Age: 34.7
 Brain Speed:  Thirty something ms (top 10 percent for my age).
 Brain Age:
   Day     Age     Check                      Sudoku
     1        80        Stroop only               -
     2        39        Random, Speak        -
     3        29        Select, No Speak      -
     4        34        Random, Speak        -
     5        34        Random, Speak        - 
     6        36        Random, Speak        26%
     7        26        Random, No Speak   -
     8        34        Random, Speak        39%
     9        20        Random, No Speak   -
   10        20        Random, No Speak   41%
   11        --                                         42%
   12        21        Select, No Speak      44%  Uggh, 05:30 is too early to play Brain Age.
   14        20        Random, No Speak    47%

Sapphira's ages as of Apr. 11, 2006
    * Calendar Age: 19.6
    * Real Age: 22.8
    * Brain Age: [unkown] (sic.)
    * Brain Speed: 29 ms

Chupperson Weird
   Brain Speed: 25 ms

Insane Steve
   Calendar Age: 19.4
   Real Age: 14.3
   Brain Speed: 27 ms

Hirocon
   Calendar age: 20
   Real age: 25, old enough to drink!
   Brain age: I don't own a DS yet...

Koopaslaya
 Brain Speed: 44 Miliseconds 

bobman37
 Brain Age (demo): 50
 Sudoku: Jet speed
 Training (mathematical test): Walking speed

Reply with your info and I'll put it in the this post so we can compare each other's ages.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 08:10:13 PM by Luigison »
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 07:47:43 PM »
Nifty thread idea!

Sapphira's ages as of Apr. 11, 2006
  • Calendar Age: 19.6
  • Real Age: 22.8
  • Brain Age: [unknown]

What's making my Real Age younger:
  • Good sleep levels
  • Vehicle size
  • Dog ownership
  • Limited or no secondhand smoke exposure
  • Parents relationship
  • No drinking and driving
  • Ideal blood pressure
  • Diverse diet
  • Healthy resting heart rate
  • Cell phone use
  • Good oral hygiene
  • Safety belt or airbag usage
  • Nonsmoker

What's making my Real Age older:
  • Medication use
  • Low vegetable intake
  • Low fruit servings
  • Low unsaturated fat
  • Lack of flexibility exercises
  • Workout schedule
  • Potassium levels
  • Low grain intake
  • Low omega-3 intake
  • Folic acid intake
  • Daily vitamin
  • Flossing habits
  • Driving speeds  <-- (Riding with Jenni is dangerous >_>; )
  • High red meat intake
  • Lack of daily breakfast
  • Calcium intake
  • Vitamin E intake
  • Vitamin C intake
  • Have cholesterol level measured <-- (Uh, my cholesterol is fine; how am I supposed to remember the exact numbers?)
  • Social network and stress
  • Strength training level

I find it really lame that my "age" increases because of not enough food/vitamin intake; as it said, a diverse diet is in my favor, but there's no way I could eat as many servings of food that they said I should. I don't have an appetite like that.

Actually, my "real" age was 16.7 until I got to the exercise section, so these other things didn't seem to influence much... >_>;

I couldn't do the Brain Age test yet, but I did find this (the lower the score, the better), and according to it:
  • Brain speed:  29 ms

P.S. IMO, this thread makes more sense in GC, despite there being a video game being involved a little.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 08:13:22 PM by Sapphira »
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 07:52:25 PM »
People below the age of 20 are not able to take the "real age" test.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 07:53:31 PM »
People below the age of 20 are not able to take the "real age" test.
Then how'd Sapphira take it?
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 08:01:24 PM »
Maybe they only go by birthyear, not birthdate. According to my birthyear alone, I'm "20".
Hmm. If you're (you being anyone planning to take it) younger than 20, try changing your birthyear to 1986 and take it anyway.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 08:03:34 PM by Sapphira »
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 08:04:10 PM »
I had 25ms auditory processing speed.
That was a joke.

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2006, 08:38:32 PM »
I'll keep my real/calendar age private, but I did indeed download Brain Age at my local Best Buy. Unfortunately, I can't remember what score I got for the color-saying part, but I got walking speed on the multiplication tables. The only thing I have to complain about in the Sudoku part of it is how they require you to write your fours in a certain way, which is not the way I normally write my fours. It isn't a big deal, and I realize that's how it has to be in order to be sure about what number you're writing, but I just thought I'd point it out.

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2006, 09:51:27 PM »
Thank you very much for creating this thread.  I was very interested in purchasing Brain Age, but now that you've told me about the stroop test, I will know to stay away.  I am color-blind, you see.  I don't want to buy a game of which I can't make full use.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2006, 10:02:35 PM »
What type/degree of colorblindness?  They supposedly picked colors that were easy to pick apart.  Red, Yellow, Blue, and Black.  Anyway, you can tell Brain Age not to have the color test since it uses voice recognition.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2006, 10:37:47 PM »
I haven't taken the RealAge thing yet, but my brain processing speed is 27 ms with a background fan. At 12:30 AM. After a day of nothing but terribly blah economics studying. Neat test.
~I.S.~

Hirocon

• June 14-16, every year
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2006, 11:04:44 PM »
What type/degree of colorblindness?  They supposedly picked colors that were easy to pick apart.  Red, Yellow, Blue, and Black.  Anyway, you can tell Brain Age not to have the color test since it uses voice recognition.

I don't know, exactly.  I've taken lots of color-blindness tests, but they have given inconsistent results.  And now that I think about it, Nintendo is usually pretty good at picking easily distinguishable colors.  I've had huge problems with many puzzle games, but never with any game made by Nintendo.  I should probably take a look at some screenshots before entirely dismissing Brain Age. *goes to find screenshots*

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2006, 02:18:00 PM »
Heh.  I just cheated the Stroop test by putting a semi opaque piece of plastic over the screens and it said my brain was in its 40's.  Even with cheating my brains still old.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 05:56:38 PM by Luigison »

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2006, 09:58:47 PM »
   I update some of my info in the first post above.  I'm much better at the brain training and sudoku.  I don't remember my exact scores, but my brain speed was in the seventies the first time I checked it without understanding how it worked or being able to hear well. Then it was in the thirties or so (top 10 percent for my age).  RealAge info follows.

Making me younger:
Limited or no secondhand smoke exposure
Medication use
Happy marriage
Correct fruit servings
Folic acid intake
Daily vitamin
No drinking and driving
Cell phone use
Ideal BMI
Good oral hygiene
Safety belt or airbag usage
Ex-smoker
Low red meat intake
Diverse diet
Calcium intake
Vitamin E intake
Vitamin C intake

Making me older:
Lycopene levels
Lack of daily breakfast
Blood pressure control
Low unsaturated fat
Lack of flexibility exercises
Driving speeds
Have cholesterol level measured
Potassium levels
Low grain intake
Low vegetable intake
Low omega-3 intake
Strength training level
Social network and stress
Vehicle size
Workout schedule
Flossing habits

I disagree with a lot of that and need to update more.  I know I get plenty omega-3 fatty acids (salmon and pills) and lycopene (tomatoes and ketchup) for example.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2006, 09:46:55 AM »
Thank you very much for creating this thread.  I was very interested in purchasing Brain Age, but now that you've told me about the stroop test, I will know to stay away.  I am color-blind, you see.  I don't want to buy a game of which I can't make full use.
Here's some quotes from the Nsider forums that might help you:
Quote from:  ZOOIE
I only have this image.

Quote from:  XENONESS
In the game, the stroop test isnt required to determine your Brain Age. You can take different tests that dont have to do with the colors of the words. Im not colorblind, but there are only 2 tests that have you use colors, and they dont have to be taken when determining your brain age.
Quote from:  EMPRERORPENGUIN
I'm colorblind, and own this game, and I can personally tell you it is not a problem. They choose very good colors for the test (Black, Red, Blue, and Yellow). It is not a problem when you need to distinguish between the colors, so don't fear! It is actually very easy :)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2006, 04:45:56 PM »
[15:43] <Luigison> Wow!  Guess what FedEx just delivered from Golin Harris?
[15:44] <Luigison> Brain Age

I'll post more later.

Edit:
D'oh.  I got a brain age of 80 the first time I checked.  This could have at least partially been because it wasn't understand when I said 'red'.  Later in a larger/different room it had no problems.  It only records once per day so 80 is my brain age for now.  It lets you recheck without saving though.  The second time I check I got 30, and the third time I got 23 (select button cheat).  The 80 was just from the Stroop test.  The 30 was for three tests inlcuding a reading outloud exercise.  I read slow outload.  The 23 was with the select button cheat doing a word memory, connect maze, and number cruncher tests.

Edit 2:
Did anyone else get a free copy of Brain Age? 
« Last Edit: April 14, 2006, 11:50:15 PM by Luigison »

Print