Print

Author Topic: Warning! Don't put Pelican memory cards in your Wii!  (Read 7666 times)

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« on: December 12, 2006, 07:06:05 PM »
Bird Person and myself have both made this mistake, and in both cases, the cards got stuck in our precious Wiis. I suggest that if you have a Pelican memory card, get rid of it and buy a good ol' Nintendo memory card. I doubt the Nintendo cards get stuck, and if they do, repair will be much easier; Nintendo really can't do much with third-party accessories.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 07:26:01 PM »
True, this is. The memory card in question was this one.

The next day I bought an official Nintendo one and it works just fine--moved the data from the Pelican one to the official one using the broken GC that only doesn't play games and I'm all set. I'm really not too keen on putting the MadCatz one in there... MadCatz stuff breaks all the time, so that'd probably be worse.
After a lot of work, the memory card can be removed, otherwise Solid and I would've sent our Wiis to NOA or something. With the official card I've had no problems at all. So heed this warning.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 07:59:56 PM »
Hahahha people get third party memory cards.

*ahem* I'm very sorry. Nintendo should've emphasized the fact that only first party accessories fit into the console nicely.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 08:22:09 PM »
You guys voided your warranties by using 3rd party memory cards.
That was a joke.

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 08:24:03 PM »
They do, Vid. In the documentation to every system they've ever made, it says to only use Nintendo accessories.

I bought a 3rd party memory card way back with my GCN (Why? I don't know. I was poor AND just at the very end of the stage of my life where I would do such a thing. Hmm, perhaps this very incident ended my relationship with third party) and it repeatedly refused to load the data. Quite annoying, especially on SSBM!

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 08:38:45 PM »
Well, my mom bought this memory card for me on a holiday, so I didn't really have any choice, since I was in desperate need of a Memory card. Oh, and if you remember how much of an idiot I was when I arrived, you can only imagine how stupid I was before that.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2006, 09:25:41 PM »
Thsi reminds me when I bought this cheap, madcatzs memeory card for my cube, the data kept on earasing by it's self!!
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2006, 10:26:00 PM »
That's natural. EVERYTHING MadCatz makes is total, pure, 100% Dukar. The ONLY thing I have from them that hasn't yet malfunctioned is a GC controller extension cord. I've bought their turbo controllers for N64 and GC before and it's all crap. I'm not buying anything third-party for Wii, at all. That is, unless you count the SD card I've had since before the Wii was released, which is not technically third-party anyway.
It's YOUR problem!

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 10:17:05 AM »
This post was originally a censor test.

My PS2 3rd party memory card works fine.

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2006, 12:51:23 PM »
Haha, mine too. Only reason I have a 3rd party PS2 memory card (and PSX as well) is because a friend gave me them years before I ever had a PS2.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2006, 01:13:09 PM »
I have a Nyko PlayStation-branded memory card. So I'm not really sure if it's third-party or not.
That was a joke.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2006, 01:47:44 PM »
The ones by Nyko are officially licensed, so I suppose they're 1 1/2-party, or something.

Memory cards for N64 and PS2 (two systems I own) seem to be practically immune to adverse effects, unless you really screw it up by cracking it open or modifying it. In fact, the memory cards I buy for my PS2 ae practically always third-party, because I'm cheap. Same goes for controllers; Sony hasn't made any wireless ones, so I got them from Pelican (who amke some of the best controllers ever).

And on a related note, I seriously doubt that using third-party hardware voids your warranty. First, there's no evidence that you've used them, so it's not like Nintendo will refuse you service. Unless you're talking about stuff that actually modifies the hardware, it's not aganist the rules.

*cue someone proving me wrong with trivial evidence*
every

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2006, 04:37:33 PM »
Does that mean my MadCatz memory card won't work in the Wii? Have you tried it yet? I've used the MadCatz memory card for my GC for well over a year. No problems...have I gotten lucky? It was really a last resort when I bought it, being broke and all.
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2006, 06:29:38 PM »
Will a third-party GCN controller fit into a Wii?  It doesn't matter much cause I think MadCatz made the third-party controller I have, and it's pure crap.  The rumble makes wierd sounds, so I just turn that off.  I only use that controller for SSBM camera mode
Regards, Uncle Dolan

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2006, 06:42:21 PM »
I'm not even going to try putting the MadCatz card in there. I wouldn't recommend it. The MadCatz controller went in and came out, but it doesn't matter... it's total Dukar anyway. I really can't believe those guys are still making money off of this stuff. It looks like just about everybody here who mentioned MadCatz had a complaint...
It's YOUR problem!

Print