Print

Author Topic: Mario Kart Wii discussion  (Read 18913 times)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« on: October 25, 2007, 05:25:04 PM »
I can't believe there wasn't a topic for this already.
So.. what modes or playable characters are you hoping to see? What's up with those motorcycles?

I'm hoping it'll be everything MK:DS was and more. More flexible WFC play (that will actually work for me and my connection) would be great. Well I'm basically hoping it will be the Brawl for Mario Kart--everything we've seen before improved, and good new elements. I may be alone in kind of liking the two-man kart Double Dash idea, and thinking it'd be an okay to have, just because, mode... you know?
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Sqrt2

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 06:29:12 AM »
I just hope the winged blue shell isn't in it. Bring back the MK64 version!

The problem I see with those motorcycles is that, it makes peach look too mush like her Strikers model, which isn't a good thing!
AA fanboy and proud!

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 10:02:04 AM »
I thought it made her look like this.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 02:18:48 PM »
better watch out.

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 02:25:50 PM »
Um, what's wrong with Peach's Strikers design?
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 02:40:03 PM »
I just hope the winged blue shell isn't in it. Bring back the MK64 version!
Forget the blue shell altogether.  It broke Mario Kart.

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 04:03:42 PM »
If snaking is in the game, then I'd like to see people go crazy with the Wii Wheel.

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 04:23:17 PM »
Not really a Wii Mario Kart question, but a general Mario Kart inquiry.  Is there a real use for the "hop" before the slide?  A lot of people seemed disappointed that it wasn't in DD, and then took note when it was in Mario Kart DS.  Can you like, hop over banana peels, or something really useful?

Also, I liked the MK 64's feature about being able to cancel out some of the banana peels, and would like to see it put back into the Wii game.  I thought that was a nice feature, especially how it didn't work for all of them.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 04:34:54 PM »
I hope that the developers'll make it so you can't snake. It really killed MK:DS for me. When I played with my friends, it wasn't based on skill, or experience, it was based on whoever was the CHEAPEST.
"it's always the present"

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 04:58:45 PM »
HolyAarom: One of the things I tried to imply saying "I hope it's the Brawl for Mario Kart" was, perhaps the four control setups would work for those "turned off" by the wheel. If the control is really fine-tuned with the wheel, I'll enjoy it.

CoconutMikeNIke: Well, not really, but hopping is useful for other things, too. Except in DD you couldn't jump from one part of the track to another unless the shortcut was intentional... And I loved the little "Boing!" that appeared in Mario Kart 64.

Shyguy92: Learn to snake. Snaking isn't cheap in the least. It requires the skill to consistently power slide without losing balance. You apparently need to be experienced to do it, because whiners who don't know how to do it could learn.

About blue shells: We need an item switch.
It's YOUR problem!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 05:16:26 PM »
Jumping affects your handling and stuff besides just coming before the slide. Yes, it really does do things.
That was a joke.

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 07:37:41 PM »
I will not buy the game if I'm forced to use that awful WiiWheel control. I am absolutely terrible at arcade racing games and yet I'm really good at Mario Kart. I want classic controls included somehow.

I'd also like to see the dual karts return as maybe an unlockable or something. I'm probably in the minority in saying that I preferred Double Dash over Mario Kart DS just because it tried to do something different and in turn became a lot more fun to play with other people.

I couldn't care less about WiFi though. It's a lot funner to see your opponents and trash them in their face. That and I still don't have WiFi.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2007, 08:14:32 PM »
I wouldn't say I preferred Double Dash over any other Mario Kart other than Super Circuit. You went way too slowly, a few tracks stood out as brilliant (Wario Colosseum, Mushroom City) and others as boring (Peach Beach, Dino Dino Jungle)... but the double-person kart concept was neat. My friends love it when I let them throw my items in co-op mode.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2007, 08:53:50 PM »
In MK64, I hop over certain corners a lot to cut them really tight.

I do this particularly a lot in Sherbet Land and Banshee Boardwalk, not that I sit around playing MK64 anymore.

P.S. You can hop over the yellow bombs that appear in Vs. races in MK64 (anyone notice no other game has this?).

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2007, 08:59:53 PM »
I liked those yellow bombs. More than that, I liked becoming... er, my friends becoming bombs in 3<player battle mode when they died.
It's YOUR problem!

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2007, 05:00:09 AM »
I still play MK64 fairly frequently, as in whenever I go to my mom's house. My cousin, who also lives there, only has MK64, and sometimes we spend literally hours playing. Plus, it's the only Mario Kart I own aside from DS.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2007, 11:18:06 AM »
In SMK, hopping was essential... there were certain shortcuts that could be taken with precisely timed hops rather than needing a feather.  Not to mention the mechanics of turning and avoiding projectiles.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2007, 12:06:27 PM »
Well I'm basically hoping it will be the Brawl for Mario Kart--everything we've seen before improved, and good new elements. I may be alone in kind of liking the two-man kart Double Dash idea, and thinking it'd be an okay to have, just because, mode... you know?
I'd think the only reason there was double karts on the GCN MK was because without it, there'dve be nothing else improved about it. SMK was the first, SMK64 was 3D, SMKSC was portable... skipping ahead, MKDS had two screens and minor touch control--so what's so great about just another 3D Mario Kart? They had to spice it up, but now that MK is on the Wii, their innovation quota will be filled with the Wiimote controls. So I'd expect a semi-fun, but otherwise bland game that thinks it can get away with being fresh just because of how you play it--just like some other Wii games and most DS games.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2007, 12:14:35 AM »
I'd really like to see the two-person karts come back as an option. If they could figure out some way to balance them (maybe only one-person karts can drag items), it'd be a really nice touch. Especially if it also included two-person motorcycles, with one in a sidecar.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2007, 07:17:44 PM »
I'd like my question answered: What was wrong with Peach's Strikers design?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2007, 07:21:58 AM »
She's too hawt.

kirbyman

• Tourette's
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2007, 09:50:37 AM »
To Hot?
Erm... It would be cool to see Pac-Man re-apear.

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2007, 09:18:22 PM »
Wait, by "re-appear", are you referring to his inclusion in Mario Kart Arcade? Because the only reason he was in that game is that it was made by Namco. Somehow I doubt he'll be in Mario Kart Wii.

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2007, 04:41:36 PM »
I don't think that Pac-Man was ever meant to have arms and legs. 
Who looked at a horse and saw the potential for glue?  That's a brainstorm in my book.

libra346

• Emoticonstipation
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2007, 02:56:52 PM »
you should be able to choose forms of the characters like turning mario into bee mario, racoon mario,fire mario, ect. or wario into his new suit or peach into her striker suit yoshi gets wings.I also thought it'd be cool for the suits  to change their suits.
Anything you can do I can do better.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2007, 12:41:07 AM »
I don't think that Pac-Man was ever meant to have arms and legs. 
Uh, Pac-Man's had arms and legs since the original arcade.

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2008, 11:43:46 PM »
Uh, this is from the latest press release on Mario Kart Wii:

• Classic Controller: Mario Kart veterans can let their thumbs do the driving with the Classic Controller. However, players cannot perform certain moves with this control scheme.

• Nintendo GameCube™ Controller: Experienced Mario Kart fans may also enjoy this familiar scheme, although some maneuvers cannot be performed.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2008, 11:50:49 PM »
Sorry, no steering with classic control.

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2008, 01:03:10 AM »
I'd like this as a birthday gift, but since it comes like 3 weeks after it...

Also I'm wondering why people like seeing new innovative things in each game and don't like it when there isn't much new stuff. Aren't the new tracks, etc. enough?
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2008, 10:48:36 PM »
I read that the wii wheel works really well
I also think Pac-man would be a good character, and kirby too
I thought that double-dash was the best mario kart
Just stating a few opinions
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2008, 04:08:15 AM »
Um, no. It's Mario Kart. It should have Mario characters.
In other words, I disagree.

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2008, 12:16:17 PM »
It's not like Pac-Man hasn't been done.
Need I remind everyone of Mario Kart GP which was in arcades (I really wish there was a decent arcade here..)
Ditto used Machop!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2008, 01:37:44 PM »
I though that was the reason he suggested it...

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2008, 01:44:57 PM »
He also suggested Kirby, though. And it was generally directed towards BriGuy92.
Ditto used Machop!

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2008, 02:19:40 PM »
It's not like Pac-Man hasn't been done.
Need I remind everyone of Mario Kart GP which was in arcades (I really wish there was a decent arcade here..)
In my town, I have MK:AGP in Chuck E. Cheese.

Linkin800

• Choppy words and a sloppy flow
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2008, 02:25:35 PM »

In my town we have a Mario Kart GP 2 which is weird since acording to this site it's japan only...
Time is repeating itself. Why you say? Look at the Wii and NES and you'll know why.

« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2008, 02:31:51 PM »
! Holy Crap! Is it in Japanese? !

Linkin800

• Choppy words and a sloppy flow
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2008, 03:43:22 PM »
No...... It's in english. The place that has it is a huge bowling place with a arcade in it that just opened about 3 month's ago so maybe Namco localized it around when the place was being made. Or I  wonder if they hired some company to translate it...
Time is repeating itself. Why you say? Look at the Wii and NES and you'll know why.

« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2008, 04:44:35 PM »

Ok maybe kirby is a stretch, but pac-man has been in 2 mario karts (neither of which I have played) and I would like to see him in an "official" mario kart
I think it's good to have a variety of characters
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 04:47:19 PM by jmdblazer »
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2008, 05:00:30 PM »
He was in those because Namco made them.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2008, 05:12:25 PM »
really? oh.

Nintendo still could have him in (ex: sonic in brawl)
Though I kinda doubt that now

« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2008, 05:16:22 PM »
I think Mario Kart Wii will be good. The controls, the characters, and everything. Plus I heard the miis can play, now that's cool.
It's-a Me, Wii-Player

« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2008, 05:22:20 PM »
Nintendo still could have him in (ex: sonic in brawl)
Brawl isn't a Mario game. Mario Kart is a Mario game.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2008, 05:55:29 PM »
I'm actually pretty excited for this game. My mom's a pretty big Mario Kart Fanatic, so we'll have lots of fun with this game.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2008, 08:07:54 PM »

My Chuck E. Cheese has a bunch of lame arcade games.
Ditto used Machop!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2008, 09:57:03 PM »
Ok maybe kirby is a stretch, but pac-man has been in 2 mario karts (neither of which I have played) and I would like to see him in an "official" mario kart
I think it's good to have a variety of characters
I've actually been musing over the possibilites of dumping Mario Kart and making the series be like Smash Bros. with all Nintendo characters (well... at least those they've been willing to put in the SB games so far) and appropraite tracks therein.

« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2008, 10:09:41 PM »
you know that's not a bad idea
maybe someone should start a thread for that. it would make for a good discussion

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2008, 08:55:04 AM »
As Much a Pac-Man, Metal Gear, and Sonic fan I am, I gotta say that I'm freaking sick of third party inclusions to Nintendo games. Now that it's been done to Brawl, I'll bet people will start freaking wanting Master Chief in Mario Tennis. Nintendo did it once, and I think they should not do it much more. Maybe the Smash Bros. series should have some third party characters, but at least no more than four. Anyway, Mario Kart is Mario Kart, so there should not be any third party characters in it.

« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2008, 08:59:53 AM »
look, I'm not sayin that we include them in mario kart,
I'm saying we make a new racing game with a bunch of nintendo characters from all over (it doesn't have to have third-party characters)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2008, 09:42:21 AM »
Link and Pikachu driving cars. Just what we need. Don't forget to strategically switch between Zelda's cars. Also, desyncing the Ice Climbers' cars is a wonderful technique. But the top-tier car of all the bunch is definitely the Landmaster.
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2008, 12:23:34 PM »
Cars... no.

Now, Nintendo Air Ride on the other hand...

« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2008, 07:55:46 PM »
ok. cars were a bad idea

I admit that I was wrong to suggest a crossover racing game
Now let's get back to talking about what this thread is about

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2008, 08:37:30 PM »
I got a great idea concerning this thread. Nintendo should make a fighting game that features a lot of Nintendo characters from each series, and a couple third-party characters. They should be pitted up in a variety of stages with many items, both of which come from different nintendo games. Imagine what a good idea this would be! We wouldn't need any other cross over game than this because it would be that awesome.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2008, 05:05:11 PM »
The Aladin's Castle in the mall used to have MK Arcade GP, but the stupid dukars got rid of it.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2008, 07:31:22 PM »
The only time I ever played MKGP was a Disneyland. Unfortunately, one of the buttons was broken and I spent the entire race holding something that looked like a pie tin.

« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2008, 09:54:08 PM »
Look can people try not to mention any spoilers at all

Please?!

« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2008, 12:46:58 PM »
I'd like my question answered: What was wrong with Peach's Strikers design?

I think there's a difference of opinion here. Some might like her in her regular dress outfit, others might prefer a more uh,..."racy" look I suppose.
But, those who are concerned that Peach, & Daisy will look too "racy", rest assured, I'm certain Nintendo won't go as far as having the 2 princesses strip naked, or anything. I believe they might just want to modernize it a bit, that's all.

As for the Wii Wheel, I'm glad it's packaged in w/ the game. You could probably get away w/ 85-90% of the techniques in the game using the GC controller, while maybe 10-15%, you need the wheel to perform, or you need the wheel to perform those techniques correctly. Still, I'm glad the wheel comes w/ the game. It'd be a little ridiculous paying 50$ for the game, then another 20$ for the wheel. The wheel may be used in other applications, MK Wii aside. But if it doesn't, that would've been a hefty price tag for an accessory that only gets used for 1 game, especially considering it's only a plastic shell. Despite it being "just a plastic shell", it may actually turn out to be very ergonomic.

& as for "baby" characters, this is only what I would call, the unofficial norm for Mario sports games. I think they make "baby" versions of each character simply to even everything out, so you can play not only the baby versions of Mario, & Luigi, but other characters as well.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2008, 01:44:37 PM »
Look can people try not to mention any spoilers at all

Please?!
Spoilers should now go in the new spoiler thread.

Print