Print

Author Topic: Why does everyone prefer stock?  (Read 11710 times)

« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2008, 02:12:55 PM »
Same here. I prefer stamina over stock.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2008, 02:31:37 PM »
I play about 50-50 time/stock. I would tend to argue that one is not better than the other, rather they're different. Each requires its own amount of skill in different areas. It' gets monotonous to continue using one style of play over and over again. Switching the game type every other round (or, as my friends and I do every 2 rounds) adds a little bit of spice into a soup that tends to be quite bland.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2008, 02:43:00 PM »
Here is a scenario with a timed and a stock match.

In both matches, there are three players. In timed mode, there are 2 minutes, and in stock mode, there are three lives.

in a match for the first minute, player 1 KOs player 2, Player 2 KOs player 1, player 3 does not do anything.

Score for Timed Mode:

Player 1 = 0
Player 2 = 0
Player 3 = 0

Score for Stock Mode:

Player 1 = 2 lives left
Player 2 = 2 lives left
Player 3 = 3 lives left

In the second minute of the match, Player 1 KOs Player 3, Player 3 KOs Player 1 and 2. Player 2 does not do anything.

Score for Timed Mode: (Match is over, Player 3 wins)

Player 1 = 0
Player 2 = -1
Player 3 = 2

Score for Stock Mode: (Match still is in progress, any player could win.)

Player 1 = 1 life left.
Player 2 = 1 life left.
Player 3 = 2 lives left.

Draw your own conclusions from this. Perhaps the timed match was only one minute? What if the stock match was timed? To be honest, being timed on anything just seems to create stress for me.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2008, 02:46:52 PM »
Stock matches are rarely this even, and being forced out early without a chance to regain a good score is totally lame.
That was a joke.

Rao

• Arr! Ay! Oh!
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2008, 04:39:49 PM »
I like stamina better than stock also. And Koop has a really good point.
What's your problem, Cambodian?

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2008, 05:03:32 PM »
Ugh, I hate the forceful feeling that timed matches bring.  If I want an intense match, I want it to be so because both myself and my final opponent are in a fierce duel on our last lives, where every movement is important and a single mistake could mean the end, not because the invisible hand of time is cramming me back into a wadded fray.  And I really don't think a normal-length time match is enough to really get past the awkwardness of a round's beginning, get into playing and being the character and stage, and really having a satisfying fight.

And on the matter of opponents running from a fight when there's no time limit incentive, the fray will always manage to drag them back in, one way or another.  It just happens.

...and (though this is a bit of a tangent) speak of "time" vs "stock", what on earth happened to the battle mode in Mario Kart Wii?  What ever happened to the careful tactics and self-preservation of the ol' "three balloons, then you're dead"?
Go Moon!

« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2008, 05:14:44 PM »
I heavily prefer stock over time. I like taking my time and killing my opponents while trying to not die.

However, for casual RL matches with 3 or 4 people, I like time. It's more causal, and if you're not playing to win, it's just more fun. Especially if you're playing with n00bs, then no one has to sit out after their stock depletes because they suck so bad.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2008, 08:48:02 PM »
I should also mention that while I prefer timed, I also like 5 minute matches.  2 minutes is far too little time as Fifth articulated.

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2008, 12:06:59 AM »
I like 4 minutes.

« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2008, 12:24:03 AM »
Time matches are great for 1 vs. 1 battles, but stock battles are better for 4 man battle royals because they eliminate the possibility of a cheep kill with benefits.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Rao

• Arr! Ay! Oh!
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2008, 10:10:54 AM »
Man, the way Fifth puts it, I guess stock is pretty cool. It's more of a real battle. And, I don't play 2 minutes either, I like 3 or 4.

...and (though this is a bit of a tangent) speak of "time" vs "stock", what on earth happened to the battle mode in Mario Kart Wii?  What ever happened to the careful tactics and self-preservation of the ol' "three balloons, then you're dead"?
Yeah! I thought that was lame.
What's your problem, Cambodian?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2008, 12:28:18 PM »
careful tactics
Non-existent in MKW.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2008, 06:17:14 PM »
Button-mashing is the only way for some people to enjoy a good game, so don't judge those who do it.

Kidding.  Sort of.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2008, 09:51:55 AM »
There's not really button-mashing in MKW... I was referring to the overabundance of irritating items that level the playing field.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2008, 10:21:52 AM »
Oh, silly me... I was thinking of SSBB at the time.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Print