Print

Author Topic: Which games should I buy?  (Read 10488 times)

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2008, 06:50:22 PM »
I can't believe I forgot to mention The World Ends With You or the Castlevania games. Also, if you're willing to spend money on imports, there are some very good Japan-only titles - the Ouendan games (though LD already suggested the US version) and Jump Superstars/Ultimate Stars (like Smash Bros. on the DS, except with Shonen Jump characters instead of video game characters) come to mind.

I tried Izuna and didn't like it as much as the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games (especially Explorers) or the Japan-only Dungeon of Windaria. As much as I like those games, I do wish companies would just stop releasing Roguelikes on the DS altogether (same goes for real-time strategy games - I can't believe I ever thought Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings was good).

Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories is sort of an acquired taste, which is why I avoided mentioning it.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2008, 07:20:57 PM »
Well, now that you mention it, it does rather take some getting used to, doesn't it?
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2008, 08:08:50 PM »
Diamond/Pearl are both massive games with lots of Pokemon to catch.
Robots, too. Get Diamond or Pearl if you like fighting robots.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2008, 11:39:45 PM »
I'll have to third The World Ends With You. Amazing game. Also, Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure are pretty good, if you ignore the story segments.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2008, 12:51:27 PM »
Kirby Canvas Curse and Elite Beat Agents are really the two best games on DS out there if you want to see the DS do what no other platform can.

You could feasibly do any DS game on PC. Although, yes, I see your point.

Besides, portable EBA is better than non-portable.
every

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2008, 02:21:41 PM »
Canvas Curse would feel okay on PC, but EBA wouldn't.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2008, 03:54:24 PM »
I'd recommend these games:

Mario and Luigi Partners in Time
Yoshi's Island DS
Kirby Squeak Squad
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2008, 04:05:07 PM »
Many people here have said Squeak Squad. Don't let them fool you. Canvas Curse is 17x the game Squeak Squad is.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2008, 09:41:04 PM »
If you want a game that relies entirely on the touchscreen and does it extremely well, get Canvas Curse. If you want classic Kirby gameplay and don't mind if a game is really easy, get Squeak Squad. I'm inclined to agree with LD here and say that Canvas Curse is easily the better game - even though I've only played through the first world in CC and got 100% in SS.

Since no one else has suggested it yet, I'll mention Clubhouse Games.

Rao

• Arr! Ay! Oh!
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2008, 11:21:00 AM »
I just want to suggest another GBA game: Midway's Greatest Arcade Hits. It's an excellent compilation.
What's your problem, Cambodian?

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2008, 11:50:20 AM »
To clarify, the cartridge contains Defender, Joust, Sinistar, and Robotron 2084. How much you enjoy the cartridge basically depends on how much you enjoy shmups, jousting, and weirdly-controlled robot-exploding (the arcade game used two sticks, making it difficult to port to a system with only four face buttons, counting select and start - I haven't played it in a while, but I believe it either uses the shoulder buttons to spin the gun or just fires in whatever direction you're moving, both options being kind of hard to control; however, if Geometry Wars: Galaxies is any indication, a DS version would most likely play very well).

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2008, 07:42:38 PM »
Canvas Curse is 17x the game Squeak Squad is.
Any game that has an unsavable Time Trial mode for the whole game is not worth $30.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2008, 11:52:23 PM »
Canvas Curse would feel okay on PC, but EBA wouldn't.
Unless this thing takes off, which doesn't seem likely.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2008, 02:26:59 AM »
ShadowBrian: Most games don't have Time Trials at all. Are you saying an added mode makes the game worse?

penguinwizard: EBA wouldn't feel good with a Wii Remote either.

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2008, 10:17:24 AM »
I've actually heard good things about Ninja Gaiden DS, and I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned Tetris DS
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

Print