Print

Author Topic: Too old for certain Japanese manga or anime?  (Read 10736 times)

« on: August 07, 2008, 03:18:00 PM »
See I ask this because I'm 18 and I'm kinda concerned about going to a book store and buy this manga called Dragon Drive.. I have been really into this series since I was 16, and I have been buying the manga up till volume 6. I just want to go buy Vol. 7 for my enjoyment but it would be kinda awkward to go into a Barnes & Noble to buy something that looks like its for kids. What I'm really worried about is for some employee to question, talk smack, and embarrass me (This wouldn't be the first time). I could lie and say its for my little brother, though.

Captain Jim

• TwinklyMuffin
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 03:27:26 PM »
If you like it, get it. Some clerk tried to smack talk me when I bought a toy Mach 5. I just said he was jealous that his car wasn't as cool as Speed Racer's.
No! I don't want that!

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 03:56:43 PM »
You could hide in a cardboard box. Alternatively, you could buy it online.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 04:07:16 PM »
A few years back when I was about 19, I went to McDonald's and got a Happy Meal just for the Neopets toy. I told them it was for my nephew who was waiting outside. Jerk didn't put the toy in the bag. I gave them a good talking-to for that.

But seriously, don't be afraid to raise heck if you need to.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 04:28:50 PM »
It's none of his/her business what kind of manga you're into.  Buy the book and if he/she has a problem with it, then tough darts.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 05:04:28 PM »
Say you're buying it for your super-hawt supermodel girlfriend who's waiting outside in your Porsche 911.
every

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2008, 05:06:01 PM »
Report him to the Better Business Bureau.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 07:49:38 PM »
If you like it, get it. Some clerk tried to smack talk me when I bought a toy Mach 5. I just said he was jealous that his car wasn't as cool as Speed Racer's.
Niiiice!
I get that too when I'm buying something. If they make fun of what you're buying; walk away from the register, and ask someone else to see the register. If the manager does squat, leave and never go back. There's always other stores and the internet! :)
Falcon....PAUNNNNCH!!

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 08:01:49 PM »
16, 18, not much difference.

goodie

• Nike and Reebok
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2008, 09:33:44 PM »
If you like it, get it. If the employee gives you trouble, you could do something like this:

I remember the day I got M&L: SS when the clerk told me "Aren't you too old for Mario games?" -- I essentially replied "Wait! I guess so!" and got the game at the Target across the street.)
576f726c6420392069732061207365637265742e

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 10:59:55 PM »
It's none of their business what you buy. That's actually rude for any employee to do that to a customer. That could make a store lose business. If they start talking about you, you could report it to the manager, that the employees are making a potential customer feel uncomfortable (although I don't know if you'd like to take such drastic measures).
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 11:13:16 PM »
I've never been held up like this. In fact, when I got Partners in Time, with the babies on the box, the man said, "Oh, I hear that one's pretty good." I guess if I'd gotten "The one with the Baby Mario and Luigi?" I could say, "With Baby Mario and Luigi... BEATING. UP. ALIENS."

But I guess the ultimate response would be "You kidding? Mario's been around longer than my older sister."
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 04:27:19 PM »
Nobody is too old for certain Japanese manga/anime...
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2008, 06:52:17 PM »
Hardy Har Har. Will that stereotype ever cease?

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2008, 09:24:17 PM »
It's been my experience that you're truly never too old for any kind of book/TV show/movie/game/etc. I myself have never been put down in public for buying media that is considered "childish", though two instances of attepmting to use a large amount of coinage to pay for such things caused a bit of a hassle for the cashiers, so sorry.
"If they make greeting cards to thank people for helping with evil plans, I owe you one!" ~Dimentio, Super Paper Mario

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2008, 10:58:04 PM »
Hardy Har Har. Will that stereotype ever cease?
What? That hentai exists?

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2008, 11:04:06 PM »

Shhh! We must not speak of Hentai on a children's forum.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2008, 11:25:39 PM »
What? That arousing anime/manga exists?
There we go.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2008, 11:34:12 PM »
There we go.

Isn't all anime/manga somewhat arousing?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2008, 11:51:50 PM »
Some more than others.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2008, 02:13:35 AM »
Listen: the majority of media panders to humans in such a way, some more than others.

EDIT: Upon further thinking, however, many late-night shows intentionally invoke this impression, some even making fun of themselves for doing it. You probably know what I'm talking about by this point: fanservice.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 02:20:38 AM by Suffix »

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2008, 06:48:44 AM »
I'm not quite sure where you're going with those statements... I mean, I think I do; it's just that that seems so obvious that I think there's some sort of underlying point I can't grasp. So anime/manga frequently has arousing stuff in it because... people like that sort of thing? Duh. Japanese comic book artists aren't drawing girls with basketball-sized breasts because it enhances the plot (well, not that kind of "plot", at least).

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2008, 07:50:41 AM »

I find the Gundam manga the most arousing.
every

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2008, 08:01:51 AM »
Short Answer: No.

Medium answer: Some people wll try to convince you otherwise. Ignore them; they are idiots.

Longer answer: When I was about 16-17 I wanted to get some Mario game, I'm not sure which one (I forgot) and I asked for it and the clerk went "Aren't you too old for Mario?" I replied "Oh, I guess you're right" and walked out of the store, and bought the game from the store across the street instead.
~I.S.~

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2008, 08:57:48 AM »
Hey, I still watch superhero cartoons and Ninja Turtles, and I'm not ashamed. If you like it, there's no problem with enjoying it. Unless you still enjoy Barney or something. :P

Sigh, I knew this topic would go in that dirrection as soon as I read the title. >_>
What is a mystery? Just go inside my head, and you'll find out.

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2008, 09:29:46 AM »
I still like Care Bears. Well, not so much lately after their redesign last year-ish...
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2008, 12:10:37 PM »
Hey, I still watch superhero cartoons and Ninja Turtles, and I'm not ashamed. If you like it, there's no problem with enjoying it. Unless you still enjoy Barney or something. :P

Sigh, I knew this topic would go in that dirrection as soon as I read the title. >_>

And now we're on the edge of discussing Barney hentai. Thanks a lot.
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2008, 01:56:52 PM »
And the winner of the "Two Words I Never Thought I'd Hear in the Same Sentence" contest goes to...

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2008, 02:07:32 PM »
"Ernie & the Muppets Take It All Off is perhaps the only known ROM hack to date that has received a Cease and Desist Letter." enters for a last minute nomination, although is disqualified for not having any two particularly dissonant words.

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2008, 03:35:02 PM »
Thanks for the comments and suggestions everyone. Everything went just swell yesterday at B&N. :)

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2008, 03:48:39 PM »
You're welcome.
every

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2008, 03:48:07 PM »
This makes me think of a question my friends/family kept asking a few years back..

"Don't you ever get tired of playing video games?"

I would try to explain that it is a hobby, just as much as reading books or watching movies (even if I was/am a bit obssesive). They would keep on asking (rephrasing the question) and I would get annoyed and then ask if they got tired of watching movies, reading books, or playing computer games.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 06:35:22 PM by Toad »
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2008, 04:16:55 PM »
I get tired of eating food sometimes.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2008, 08:35:58 PM »
I get tired of eating food sometimes.

Yeah so do I.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2008, 10:43:22 PM »
I get tired of... "going". But that's a story for another day.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2008, 01:57:08 PM »
You get tired of going to Malawii?  You're sick, man.

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2008, 09:37:09 PM »

I used to have a crush on Kagome from InuYahsa when I was 12.  Wait!  Please don't tell her!  It would embarrass me so much if you told!  Oh dear I'm scared.......
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 09:40:34 PM by MushroomJunkie »
Probably likes Sonic games better than anyone else on the fungi forums.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2008, 02:07:31 PM »
He's over-dosed on the mushrooms again... 

As for manga being arousing, Dragonball is a classic example of perverted manga.  Even though we're not seeing it from the Muten-Roshi's point of view, someone was offended enough by it to have later editions censored...

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2008, 02:09:19 PM »
Everyone's always bound to be offended by something.
every

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2008, 02:24:00 PM »
What?  Did you happen to say something about mushrooms?  Do you have any?  I really love mushrooms alot......
Probably likes Sonic games better than anyone else on the fungi forums.

Print