Print

Author Topic: The Kirby Game You Never Knew  (Read 7923 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« on: September 23, 2008, 08:34:17 PM »
Kid Kirby

Shock and awe!  Apparently, the devs behind Uniracers were set to collaborate with Nintendo on a SNES game starring, well, a really young Kirby. Some Lost Bytes-esque sprites and such at the link. Discuss!
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 08:58:30 PM »
Looks to me like it was a pretty unnecessary game. Baby Mario's bad enough as it is, and he doesn't even have a game to himself; imagine how this'd turn out.

That castle level looks sorta kewl, though.
every

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 09:00:54 PM »
So that's why Kirby is bald! Poor old man. But at least he hasn't gone all wrinkly yet.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 09:11:17 PM »
Isn't Kirby already a kid? Pl-

Wait, DMA design? Weren't they the guys (and girls) who made Grand Theft Auto? That would have been an interesting Kirby game. Just hope that Kirby wouldn't eat his gun; he'd get lead poisoning. Seriously, this game would have been interesting to see. Kirby seems to be rolling around in those sprites, which could have constituted to an interesting style of gameplay.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 09:27:11 PM »
They also made Uniracers. They didn't put guns into everything.
That was a joke.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 09:37:12 PM »
They also did Lemmings.

And how, pray tell, is rolling potentially more interesting than walking?
every

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 09:49:05 PM »
Well, he could roll in Kirby's Adventure/Nightmare in Dreamland with the Ball power, and rolling was his main means of getting around in Canvas Curse, Tilt 'n' Tumble, Pinball Land, Dream Course, and Block Ball...

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 12:10:07 AM »
Is it just me or does the little antenna thing on Kid Kirby's head make him look like Majin Buu?
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 04:56:00 AM »
They also did Lemmings.

And how, pray tell, is rolling potentially more interesting than walking?

If you've played games like Kirby Canvas Curse or Tilt 'n' Tumble, you'd see that controlling Kirby a little more indirectly requires strategy to properly maneuver him, as you have to cope with the sensitive rolling physics.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 05:32:51 PM »
They really need to make a Tilt N' Tumble sequel with better physics.
every

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 05:56:36 PM »
There was supposed to be one fro the GCN with GBA connectivity, but Kirby games have this annoying tendency to get delayed until they fall of the face of the earth.

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 06:01:17 PM »
Mario could find it, then, since he's currently flying around the galaxies, and bring it back to the nice people at Hal. They could make a Wii game out of it.

Speaking of Mario and Kirby: has anyone purchased Kirby Superstar Ultra yet? Have you played the Spring Breeze game and reached the fight with King Dedede? Is the Mario cameo still there (and Luigi, Toad, Peach, and Birdo)?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 07:20:05 PM by Toad »
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 07:57:44 PM »
Speaking of Mario and Kirby: has anyone purchased Kirby Superstar Ultra yet? Have you played the Spring Breeze game and reached the fight with King Dedede? Is the Mario cameo still there (and Luigi, Toad, Peach, and Birdo)?

No, but I saw a pic of that in NP. Yes, they're still there.

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 02:05:55 AM »
I remember when Kirby's Air Ride was delayed for a bazillion years. I was amazed that it ever saw release, then I saw the bad reviews. It was one of those games where I would have said "they released it? I never heard about it, I never saw it anywhere". Same with Sonic Riders, whose concept seemed bizarre in the first place.

Kid Kirby though... oy... I'm glad they didn't do that. That antenna thing on his head is creepy. I would have thought Rockstar North would have turned it into a great game somehow based on their result with Uniracers (the webpage says it was up to par, I say it was above par. Best racing game for SNES in my opinion... even though I honestly can't think of too many others).

They did Lemmings too? Cool... PC Lemmings and some other versions too, although it looks like other developers did the game console versions.
You didn't say wot wot.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 10:12:04 PM »
Kirby Air Ride (bad grammer, kind of, but that's the real name) actually isn't that bad, given that you ignore the impossible achievements.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Print