Print

Author Topic: Glorb's Weekly IF  (Read 6684 times)

Glorb

• Banned
« on: September 20, 2009, 04:21:44 PM »
>steal topic idea

I don't recognize that verb.

A long time ago, before adventure games consisted entirely of instructing some dude to jam two things together and sticking it in a machine using a floating hand, they consisted entirely of walking around and stealing stuff to use later by typing out phrases into a parser. As with many game genres, it was tweaked and changed over the years until little of the original flavor remained, giving birth to the modern adventure game while simultaneously abandoning its older, smarter brother. Nowadays the only IF game that anybody besides uber-nerds knows about is Zork, and all they know about it is that it's got a white house at the beginning and you don't shoot dudes. As such, I will totally steal Warp's idea and introduce to you a new (read: old) interactive fiction game every week.

This first issue, we'll introduce you to 9:05, released 1999 by Adam Cadre.

Basically, I actually can't describe this game to you at all outside of the fact that it begins as a slice-of-life tale but soon reveals itself to be something rather more sinister, playing with the notion that you know what your character knows. It will also take you about ten minutes at most to complete, but I thoroughly recommend that you play it twice to soak it all in.

In order to play this game and the vast majorty of game's I'll be showing you, you'll need to download a Z-Code (the game language) interpreter; WinFrotz is by far the easiest to use, assuming you use Windows. I'll note if the game is written in another language and, thus, requires another interpreter to play. Don't worry about system requirements; as long as your computer, you know, works, then you're good.

Week One: 9:05 by Adam Cadre

Week Two: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Infocom

Week Three: Conan Kill Everything by Ian Haberkorn

Week Four: Aisle by Sam Barlow
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 05:10:15 PM by Glorb »
every

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 04:48:59 PM »
You're doing it wrong if you aren't talking about new IF occasionally as well. Also, IF includes some visual novels and some point-and-click adventures, and I'll be very disappointed if this thread doesn't talk about either of those.

There's a Z-machine interpreter on Google Code, by the way.

A strange amalgam of the two threads.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 07:21:22 PM »
When I said "old", I mostly meant that I wouldn't be staying 100% up-to-date on the IF scene and posting the results of every contest that comes along. I'll definitely try to maintain a good mix of old-school, totally new, and in-between games.

And personally, I'm trying to avoid covering IF games that use graphics, since the whole point is creating mood and atmosphere with just text. Of course, that's not to say I won't.
every

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 07:27:40 PM »
I believe that Windows Frotz is a bit more modern than WinFrotz.

I've dabbled a bit in writing games, but the only one I've ever bothered to release was a joke, Tubby Time for Little Ernie, based on the book of the same name.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 07:35:47 PM »
the whole point is creating mood and atmosphere with just text
That's about the most pretentious thing I've read all day. IF isn't just text. It can use images. Hell, it can even use real-life objects.

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 08:09:20 PM »
This topic shall be deemed an abomination if the classic Zork isn't reviewed next week.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 01:36:36 PM »
I am going to review every single IF game ever except Zork now.
every

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 02:43:32 PM »
Good luck fighting through thousands of lines of bad fiction and poorly-worded directions, then.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2009, 10:08:55 AM »
This week I'll introduce you to what is considered by many to be Infocom's finest game, and one of the greatest IF games of all time: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Based on the works of the same name by Douglas Adams, it is notable for its excellent writing, the fact that it was co-produced by Adams himself, and the sheer number of frustrating, nonsensical, no-directions-given puzzles that pepper the game.

With alarming regularity, this game expects you to plug things into other things, put other things on top of other other things, collect and carry around various nondescript tools that have no immediate stated purpose, and basically work very hard to obtain items that seem to do nothing but will most likely be required for progress later on. The game can also be made unwinnable frighteningly often, with nary a "You can't do that" to deter stupid actions. The beginning section is pretty much lifted word-for-word from the book, but requires going against the direction of the book every now and then, with no hints otherwise. Conversely, the part with the Ravenous Beast whatever Bug Beast whatever is pretty much only survivable by those with knowledge of a one-off joke from the book. There's pretty much no directions ever given; the only implied goal is that you need tea at some point.

So it says something that, despite all of this (or maybe because of it?), the game is immensely enjoyable, like curling up with a good book that happens to hate you. It's best enjoyed with a walkthrough or hints guide on hand at all times, though.
every

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 11:11:08 AM »
Regarding Infocom's classic detailed above, here's the adventure in Java form on the Douglas Adams website, and here's the adventure in Flash form (with some graphics) on the BBC website.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2009, 08:05:52 AM »
It's best enjoyed with a walkthrough or hints guide on hand at all times, though.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2009, 12:02:48 PM »
Hey, I dare you to take that [dukar] on by yourself.
every

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2009, 12:08:33 PM »
Will do, gladly. Guides are for pansies who can't handle text-based puzzles.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2009, 01:21:13 PM »
I'll bet you ten bucks you can't get past the Babel Fish puzzle without any help.
every

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2009, 03:01:25 PM »
I'm not entirely sure, but after working at it for a couple of hours (seriously; I'm glad I have plenty of time for stuff like that), I think I may have solved it? Did it involve ignoring the dispenser entirely? I was just in the sauna, so I'm not far enough to know if that was actually it or not, but I missed my chance at the babel fish if it wasn't.

Print