Print

Author Topic: What are your thoughts like?  (Read 6572 times)

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2009, 05:21:56 PM »
Holy crap, GiftedGirl's back.
every

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 07:04:24 PM »
Cogito ergo sum.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2009, 01:53:07 PM »
An interesting thread!

I always keep a running commentary in my head, speaking about events and to myself. Sometimes I make witty comments that cause me to smirk for no clear reason to others. Since I like to do multiple things with as great an efficiency as possible, I tend to think in graphs and tables, but I also tend to visualize images or shapes in three dimensions according to relevance and interest. For instance, when I play as a Medic in Team Fortress 2, I organize players by their defensive potential for me, how fast it takes to fill their HP, and how likely they are to mow down the enemy should I Ubercharge/Kritzcharge them. This organization looks like several tables at various distances to me, further away being less important, and closer being more important. Similarly, threats take shape as images closer or farther away from me. Spies are a image constantly hovering at my peripheral vision, and snipers are an image that moves closer and farther, based on the amount of sniper kills I observe in the termination log.

Also, when advising myself, I tend to think in the second person, sometimes referring to myself as 'we.' I tend to not like referring to myself as 'we,' but it sneaks in there occasionally.

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2009, 01:15:10 AM »
My thoughts are, at times, so complex that I can hardly express them verbally. I have a pretty vivid imagination which has it's pros and cons. In my thoughts, I often rehearse what I'm going to say/write to people just to make sure that it's accurate, comical, or sincere. I also tend to daydream a lot. This causes me to get sidetracked from what I was initially doing. Like right now, as I type this, I'm imagining a white letter M being squished and stretched from left to right in a black background ...anyway, those are my thoughts. Oh yeah, sometimes my mind tends to wander to deep and solemn places. And occasionally, it wanders to bright and amusing (sometimes too amusing) places as well. Ok, that's enough.
The door to my mind is officially closed.
"It's vital to reflect occasionally on whether one is overdoing whatever it is one person is doing." ~Toadsworth

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2009, 09:39:30 AM »
Occasionally I get the intro the Weapons of Mass Distortion stuck in my head, looping on and on forever.
every

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2009, 10:53:10 PM »
Awesome and complex topic idea!

I think pretty much the same way I converse, but much faster (or about the same as my reading speed, but I dunno) and with much less holding back. I'll even pause with "uh"s and "um"s, or change thoughts midthought (like midsentence). I think I use more run-on sentences when thinking. When I'm reading something, I'll pause to mentally "say" a comment, often with an actual facial expression—kind of like, "Wait, what?" with a confused look. I even add lots of interjecting thoughts between thoughts, as you'll see by my extensive use of parentheses.

Depending on my frame of mind, my thoughts range from very coherent (most often while I'm typing/writing), to a random, incoherent jumble in which I struggle to convert it into something others would understand. (The latter clause was a half-decent example; it still sounds awkward to me.) Sometimes my thoughts are complete sentences, other times fragments. Even if each sentence of thoughts is coherent, I struggle organizing them into paragraphs while writing. Coupled with perfectionism, all of these reasons explain why it takes me so long to write anything.

I don't often talk to myself, even in my head. Whenever I do, it's usually passive exclamations, such as, "That was stupid," or "Shoot!" Sometimes it's in the first person (and typically those are short commands or something like "I'm gonna be late!" or "I wonder if..."). If I ever think to myself in the second person, it's rare. I don't think I ever think to myself in the third person. (Interestingly and ironically, I often dream about myself in the third person.) I pretty much never talk to myself out loud. That seems really weird to me. The instances I do are when I'm trying to quickly ingrain something in my mind (memorization) or when I'm counting—especially when there are lots of distractions around me.

Oftentimes I mentally rehearse things before I say them or write them down, typically to help me remember something and to organize them into something coherent. Unfortunately a lot of the time these thoughts never get around to actually being expressed. Sometimes thoughts suddenly rush to me (like an epiphany), and I need to express them before I forget. This is usually my process when I write poetry (which doesn't happen often), but I tend to do the same thing when I wake up after a dream, but am still lying there with my eyes closed. After sorting out the dream in my head, I quickly have to write it down (or tell someone) or I'll quickly forget it, only remembering random bits and pieces, if anything.

At times, if a thought enters my head which I don't like, I'll close my eyes and ever-so-slightly shake my head (as in, barely visible) to clear the thought from my mind, kind of like erasing on an Etch-a-Sketch. Other times I'll actually "correct" my thoughts, much like going, "No, wait..."

Other times my thoughts aren't actually words at all, but rather feelings or emotions. Sometimes feelings are accompanied by thoughts such as, "Ooh, this is pretty," or "Eww!" or "Wow," but not always. Since it's very hard for me to say something (other than "uh huh") while thinking something else (with words), if I'm speaking and my thoughts are different, they'll just be feelings or intuition instead. One example is if I'm singing to a song I particularly love, I'm speaking the lyrics (and therefore thinking them), but I'm also thinking, "I love this song," without the words actually formulating in my mind, so it's actually just a feeling/emotion, if that makes sense. Another emotion-thought I get is after I say something particularly clever. I don't deliberately think the words, "That was clever!" but it's implied by the feelings. Or perhaps everything I've said about emotion-thoughts is inaccurate; maybe I do think the actual words, but it happens so quickly I'm unaware of it.

All in all, though, even though I think in words a LOT, most of the time my thoughts are visual images, like video clips or photographs. Usually they're kind of blurry, rather than crisp. Sometimes VERY blurry. Sometimes other senses trigger verbal or visual thoughts, and vice versa.

Now if you want to get into the process of what my dreams are like, that's a whole different story. Or maybe an expanded story. That would make a cool topic, actually.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 10:54:54 PM by Sapphira »
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2009, 10:59:57 PM »
My forehead is starting to get raw.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2009, 11:09:27 PM »
Before anyone asks, I appointed an evil wizard to curse TEM so that he must keep checking on this thread. I'm a jerk.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Captain Jim

• TwinklyMuffin
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2009, 01:25:46 AM »
My thoughts are wordy, and overly complex sometimes. And I often have thoughts questioning how I know the words in my thoughts when I don't actually hear them. That bothers me. I also over analyze words. More recently, I've been applying tarot cards and  such to everything. I blame Persona 3. Also, my thoughts tend to shut down when I encounter something somewhat difficult. This is why I'm so bad at school. If I don't understand something, I just can't operate.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 01:30:49 AM by Captain Jim »
No! I don't want that!

Print