Print

Author Topic: BEST AND WORST IN SERIES? Week 28: Lava/Fire Levels  (Read 16052 times)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2008, 07:09:44 PM »
Oh yes, annoyingly hard. + 10 bad points for Sunshine.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2008, 04:19:20 PM »
Week 28: Lava/Fire Levels

BEST:

Super Mario 64 (7)
Super Mario Galaxy (5)
Super Mario Sunshine (4)
Super Mario World (2)
Super Mario RPG (1)

WORST:

Super Mario Sunshine (10)
Super Mario Galaxy (3)
Super Mario World (2)
Super Mario Bros. 3 (2)
New Super Mario Bros (1)
Super Mario 64 (1)

NOMINATIONS:

Mario Sports game (3)
2D Game (6.50)
3D Game (1)
Non-Mario Playable Character (9.50)

Half a point more for Non-Mario Playable Character!!!

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2008, 04:24:59 PM »
I hate how some people love some games for their difficulty, and say others are bad because of it.
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2008, 05:56:32 PM »
I hate how some people love some games for their difficulty, and say others are bad because of it.
I don't mind a challenging, but if the challenge in the level gets way more annoying than fun, it's not all that good.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2008, 08:48:53 PM »
I hate the misguided, retarded idea that hard games are automatically more fun than easy ones.  Especially if that goes on to suggest that games so hard as to be mundane are fantastic, and when their remakes are easier it somehow destroys the game. Which is not to say I love easy games--I prefer the experience over the challenge.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2008, 01:24:27 AM »
It might be a fine line. I'm sure it's already been discussed somewhere that some people enjoy really hard, frustrating final bosses for the accomplishment of beating them and making the ending that much sweeter, while others have spent hours on a game and would rather want an easy (or laughably easy) final boss just to see the it-better-be-awesome ending. And then there's the line of matching the player's expectations of what's challenging and how far he or she is willing to go through failure after failure before giving up in frustration and throwing the controller through a window. Maximum difficulty. Pace of difficulty. Amount of perceivable improvement on each successive try. How harsh the punishment for failure is (do you have to watch 15 minutes of cutscenes again before getting another crack at the boss?).

And there's that one phenomenon TV Tropes picked up on that NES games were incredibly hard (either intentionally or through unfair controls, poor pace, glitches, developers forgetting to step back and consider the ability of normal players, etc.). People who grew up on NES games and became good at them may complain a lot about a general lack of difficulty in today's games. You know Cranky Kong did back in "Donkey Kong Country" (in retrospect, DKC1 was a very easy game... once I finally learned it inside and out).

Completing Ring Shot mode in Mario Golf for N64 was the hardest challenge I remember ever facing. I forget what I won for doing that, I just stopped caring by that time. I remember getting a migraine after trying the 20th time (literally) on one hole. Secret of Mana is drop-dead easy once you gain magic and keep your magic levels high, but I still love it for everything else the game has going for it.

Mario Kart 64 was strange. When I played it for hours and hours, I found the CPU players to be easy. I could drive with my eyes closed and still beat everyone by a mile. But no matter how much I try today, I struggle to stay in the top 4, and that's because I stopped playing for years. Maybe it's because I'm not as good with mini-turbos as I used to be. I never realized I relied so much on mini-turbos to win.
You didn't say wot wot.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2008, 10:43:51 AM »
All I'll say is, Mega Man games are some of the best platformers in the business.
That was a joke.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2008, 01:02:49 PM »
Week 28: Lava/Fire Levels

WORST:

Super Mario Sunshine (10)

When I counted, I only saw 9 votes for Sunshine.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2008, 11:01:17 PM »
I hate the misguided, retarded idea that hard games are automatically more fun than easy ones.  Especially if that goes on to suggest that games so hard as to be mundane are fantastic, and when their remakes are easier it somehow destroys the game. Which is not to say I love easy games--I prefer the experience over the challenge.
Personally, I'm more miffed by a giant safety net than a painful fall--by which I mean that games with a moderate or high difficulty but tons of extra lives, checkpoints, etc. irritate me more than games that are just unabashedly hard. I'dve had no qualms with SMG's questionable difficulty if it didn't have regenerating Star Bits and 1-Ups every five feet. (I'm not trying to start a debate about that game again; I just though that was an apt example)
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2008, 12:06:33 AM »
I guess it kind of depends on the kind of game. Galaxy's abundant 1-Ups didn't really take away from the fun for me. Games over... what's so terrible/great about them anyway? In the beginning your game really ended and you had to start all over. When games began to have conclusions, escapes from that were made--holding A, then saving. In Super Mario 64 onward, what do games over in Mario do if not make you walk through the hub to the portal to the level again? That's not so bad. But would you like something worse? Want all the stars you collected since the last big boss to go away?

A good example of a game that's both easy and incredible, I'd say, is MOTHER 3. The frogs that let you save are all over the place, some right in front of the hardest bosses. The rolling HP meter rolls much slower than it did in EarthBound and the text and PSI animations go by much faster, giving you more time to recover if you take mortal damage. When you get a game over, your health is completely restored, unlike in EarthBound and EarthBound Zero, where only Ness or Ninten, respectively, would be alive and would have full HP but not PP. You only lose money, when you die, unless you give it all to the frogs when your financial business is over like I do. The experience you've earned stays with you.

The third-to-last mandatory boss is the last real one, or maybe not even, if Kumatora learns PK Ground before then. She should have it before you fight Pokey and, if so, he's no problem at all. The last battle with The Masked Man is, like the final battle with Giygas in EB, a stay alive festival. Liberal use of Lifeup Gamma with some necessary Bashing, and you're good. The game practically fights the last battle for you. Easy, but it does not lessen the impact of the ending at all.
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2008, 12:20:13 AM »
I guess it kind of depends on the kind of game. Galaxy's abundant 1-Ups didn't really take away from the fun for me. Games over... what's so terrible/great about them anyway? In the beginning your game really ended and you had to start all over. When games began to have conclusions, escapes from that were made--holding A, then saving. In Super Mario 64 onward, what do games over in Mario do if not make you walk through the hub to the portal to the level again? That's not so bad. But would you like something worse? Want all the stars you collected since the last big boss to go away?
I know where you're coming from with that, but I guess I should've been more specific...... Well, here's a perfect example: After getting 121 stars, you unlock Luigi, who has slippier traction. A more "unstable" character earned by hundred-percenting a game? That should definitely qualify as a Hard Mode of sorts, right? Well, they change it so the Toad at the entrance to the Observatory gives you, like, twenty 1-Ups (yes, I know that's optional). All I'm saying is, why lower the limbo pole if you're just going to dig a rut under it?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 12:22:11 AM by ShadowBrain »
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2008, 01:35:21 AM »
Well, like I'm saying, the lives aren't protecting you from a lot anyway. That's just twenty more tries until you have to take another walk in the observatory.

But I hate playing as Luigi. You know my favorite playable Mario Galaxy character? Mario's skeleton! I love hackers.
It's YOUR problem!

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2008, 04:08:42 PM »

But I hate playing as Luigi. You know my favorite playable Mario Galaxy character? Mario's skeleton! I love hackers.
link plz
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2008, 05:40:28 PM »
The Manta Surfing stages will eat up your extra lives, so I welcomed the 20-Ups in Luigi's letters (they ate up my lives, anyway)

You know what would be great? Having Toad playable after you've finished Luigi's quest, or maybe even a real two player co-op, with the Mario Bros running around the levels at the same time (much like in New SMB's two player mode..) Toad could fill in before you rescue Luigi, maybe
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Print