Print

Author Topic: Paper Mario Patterns?  (Read 7946 times)

« on: May 03, 2009, 09:45:19 AM »
Warning!  This topic discusses huge spoilers on all three Paper Mario games, and makes speculations on a hypothetical fourth game.  If you have not experienced all three Paper Mario games yet, I suggest you direct your attention elsewhere.

Have you noticed any 'patterns' in the Paper Mario games on who you fight as the final boss?  The original Paper Mario was fairly traditional in the sense that you fight King Bowser Koopa to save the princess.  But then in Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, a big twist is that Princess Peach Toadstool becomes the final boss in the sense that he/she/it/they get(s) possessed.  And then in Super Paper Mario, the twist is that Luigi in a way becomes the final boss after he/she/it/they is/are possessed.

See where I'm going with this?

I have a feeling that in the next Paper Mario game, Mario will get possessed and become the final boss (<--I know this isn't a spoiler since the game doesn't even exist yet, but for some reason I felt the need to use the spoiler tag).  Then the player will have to fight against the mighty Mario to save the world.  So what do you think?  Would that be the next logical twist, or is that too predictable?  Or too farfetched?

Super Caterina!

• Super Cool
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 09:53:11 AM »
Ehehe...You didn't spoil!=D

You already had to fight against the Mario shadow boss in The Thousand Years Door!
It's meee, Super Caterina! =D

Captain Jim

• TwinklyMuffin
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 11:42:43 AM »
Next boss will be Waluigi, posessed and angry about lacking his own game. Weeeeeeh.
No! I don't want that!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 12:39:13 PM »
It's kind of a common theme, the friend becoming the enemy. Star Wars and the Zelda series have done it a few times.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 12:45:22 PM »
One pattern I noticed:

PM: Save the Mushroom Kingdom
PMTTYD: Save the World
SPM: Save the Universe

So the next Paper Mario should focus on saving the multi-verse or something.

Reading

• is FUNdamental
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2009, 01:27:13 PM »
Mario does save the multiverse in SPM. He travels to different "dimensions", which are essentially universes.

I noticed a while ago that all three Paper Mario games contain something a little weird or freaky around the Chapter 2/3 area: Paper Mario has Tubba Blubba's Heart and Super Paper Mario has Mimi's spider transformation. TTYD...uh, does Flurrie count?
We went to see them for the first time in 5 years because they were going away for 3 years.

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 02:13:38 PM »
You could count the freaky conspiracy at the Glitz Pit.

Reading

• is FUNdamental
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009, 02:44:05 PM »
Oh, yeah, that works. Grubba sucking energy out of the fighters to stay fit.

I remember that chapter. My friend was over while I played it the first time, and we, plus my brother, were all really into the experience, making guesses about how this whole conspiracy was going to turn out and everything. :P
We went to see them for the first time in 5 years because they were going away for 3 years.

Steven9wii

• Banned
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 02:02:51 AM »
i wonder if paper mario 4 will be called super paper mario 2?
bebé jamaica friend many decide (dont ban this user) i want 8 hrs.us login time

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 06:05:39 PM »
I kinda thought this topic was about sewing for a minute..

Paper Mario 4 should be more RPG and less platformer. Don't get me wrong, SPM is great and was a good experiment, but let's get the series back to what works for it: being a goofy fun RPG, with platforming elements in it (and references to past Mario games [not just the PM games, all of Mario]).

As for final bosses: the story for the last two PM games was fairly similar..

You think that Grodus was going to be the final boss, but he was just a pawn in Beldam's plan to revive the Shadow Queen.

You think that Count Bleck was going to be the final boss, but he was just a pawn in Dimentio's plan to revive the Chaos Heart (that was right, wasn't it? I haven't played SPM in a while..

I hope with the story for the fourth game, they take a departure from the Bowser possesing and try something a little bit new. I know that Bowser hasn't been possesed in all the Mario RPG's, but it's time to try a different take on the story..
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 07:45:06 PM »
I would like the gameplay of PM2 (RPG-only, Mario and partners only) combined with the story of SPM.  And a Mario-esque final boss wouldn't be a bad thing, either. I think it should be more like the Doopliss battle, with Mario actually fighting, though.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 09:37:09 PM »
Good ideas.  One thing I would like to see in a fourth game is a different type of climax.  All three games in the series have pretty much the same climax, where the main villain becomes invincible and the heroes must disable the invincibility with the sacred items they collected.  I think that's a pattern that needs to be broken.

Sqrt2

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 02:55:25 AM »
Have you noticed any 'patterns' in the Paper Mario games on who you fight as the final boss?  The original Paper Mario was fairly traditional in the sense that you fight King Bowser Koopa to save the princess.

Wow! What a huge spoiler! [/sarcasm] Seriously though, was the spoiler bar really necessary in that instance?

Anyway, I'm plumping for Bowser being the next final boss. Either that or an alien from outer space bent on conquering the universe.

Next boss will be Waluigi, possessed and angry about lacking his own game. Weeeeeeh.
I'd like to see it, but I can't see it happen, I'm afraid. :(
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 05:54:41 AM by Sqrt2 »
AA fanboy and proud!

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 03:56:27 AM »
I know I'm being hideously uncreative by saying this, but I think Subcon could make a good setting for a Paper Mario game. Think about it. (no pun intended)
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 07:04:58 AM »
No, actually, I think that place needs a comeback. One guy suggested Super Mario RPG 2 could partially take place in Sarasland... but then again, this is Paper Mario we're talking about.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Print