Print

Author Topic: Super Mario 3 NES Shifted Screen...  (Read 3604 times)

« on: January 09, 2005, 12:19:24 AM »
Hello everyone. I'm new here, but perhaps you could be so kind as to help me out:

I have noticed that the rom files available for download on the net for smb3 have the shifted screen bug (that's what I call it anyways). It's really quite annoying, and it flashes as the mario character scrolls the screen on the right side. At first, I'd thought this was simply a rom/emulator bug, but I now have an smb3 cartridge and an nes system, and the same problem occurs. It's so strange. I used to have the game a long time ago when I was 8, and I never remember having had that problem. What on earth is it, why is it, and can it be fixed???

Thank you in advance,

Matt

Bleep Bleep-bleep  Bleep Bleep-bleep-bleep  Bleep-bleep  Bleep-bleep-bleep Bleep  Bleep  Bleep-bleep-bleep...
Bleep Bleep-bleep  Bleep Bleep-bleep-bleep  Bleep-bleep  Bleep-bleep-bleep Bleep  Bleep  Bleep-bleep-bleep...

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2005, 08:04:31 PM »
"It's not a bug, it's a feature"

Seriously though, that's the way the game was programmed and you can't do anything about it.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2005, 08:43:52 PM »
"I cannot confirm or deny what you are seeing with your own eyes..."
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2005, 06:45:05 PM »
It's not a feature. If you can't explain why it is there, just say so, but I know it's a bug. I used to play it on another nes system when I was young, and it never did that. Perhaps my new nes system pays mario 3 like that because of the way new tv's are made. Who knows, but it's not a stupid question. It's an obvious problem that anyone can pick up on, I'm just surp[rised that nobody else seems to care about it. Perhaps if anynbody else did, they would have found a solution by now.

Edited by - mjjdeclue on 1/11/2005 8:18:23 PM

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2005, 07:57:44 PM »
Thats classic nes....... theres no explaining it.......

I''m new here!
TMK fan since three years ago!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 01:09:54 AM »
1) It's not a bug or a problem.
2) Every copy of SMB3 does that.
3) Maybe your old TV stretched the picture so you couldn't see it.
4) There is no "solution," because it was programmed that way.

"Don’t look into car headlights and freeze, because you might get run over or shot."
That was a joke.

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2005, 06:12:02 AM »
Hello Mr. Weird! I just joined the forums, but I was a fan here for 3 years! Hi! Ok, now for your regularly scheduled topic....... Classic NES........ It still stands, there's no explaining it......... unless you are 1337Z0R1SH......

Actually longer than that..... My sad miserable life is but a blur to me........... I remember where I first found your site......... But I don't remember how long ago this was.

I''m new here!

Don't double post. ~CW

Edited by - Chupperson Weird on 1/12/2005 6:18:00 PM

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2005, 08:24:17 PM »
Considering I did just explain it, I'm pretty sure your statement no longer stands.

At any rate, that is intentional, perhaps to save memory or processing speed. Now what I'm sure isn't intentional is the way my SMB3 cart starts making the status bar slide all over the place in certain areas of the game, every time I play.

"Don’t look into car headlights and freeze, because you might get run over or shot."
That was a joke.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2005, 01:04:53 AM »
The status bar problem can be attributed to the processor speed.  If you overclock your NES too high, the status bar will climb higher and higher until it covers the whole screen.

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2005, 04:06:30 PM »
Try grilled chees on a george forman gril! mmm! But, anyway, what's overclocked mean?

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2005, 08:34:21 PM »
To overclock is to run a processor at a speed it wasn't designed for (higher, specifically). Aw, your first post wasn't so poorly spelled! (gril, chees, george*, forman*, mmm*)

*Not misspelled, but first letter should be capitalized.

Sorry to nag, but we really appreciate proper spelling.

Print