Poll

How do you spell colour?

Colour
24 (77.4%)
Color
7 (22.6%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Print

Author Topic: COLOUR  (Read 14301 times)

« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2009, 08:00:39 PM »
You are entitled to your own opinion and I still stick with mine regardless.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

Captain Jim

• TwinklyMuffin
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2009, 08:03:32 PM »
I feel your opinion is wrong and should be done away with
No! I don't want that!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2009, 09:19:12 PM »
Don't forget about the whole process of splitting from England. Perhaps denying the British way of spelling those words was our first way of saying, "Suck it!"
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2009, 09:23:40 PM »
Probably why we considered making German the official language for a while.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2009, 09:26:43 PM »
Don't forget about the whole process of splitting from England. Perhaps denying the British way of spelling those words was our first way of saying, "Suck it!"
Actually, I believe that was part of it! Just like why we have the fork on the other side, drive on the other side, and have tie stripes that slant the other way (it's true).
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2009, 12:31:05 PM »
I spell it "color". American here. I watched one Eddie Izzard sketch where he briefly touches upon how Americans and... um... British people?... how they differ in saying words. "You say "erb" and we say "herb", because there's a ****** H in it." He mentioned that he favors the American spelling of "through" as "thru" (I rarely see it like that except at fast-food restaurants, but whatever), believing that "through" has too many unnecessary letters in it and that it looks more like "thruff".

But one word I could never get used to was seeing "theater" spelled as "theatre". Just looks strange, always makes me want to say it as thee-a-tray.
You didn't say wot wot.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2009, 02:22:24 PM »
You also see "Thru" in older Spider-Man comics.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2009, 07:18:34 PM »
My English teacher, normal in all other ways, pronounces "theater" "thee-AY-ter". Oh, and "nuclear" "nukular." I repeat, English teacher (I think I said this before, anyway).

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2009, 03:12:36 PM »
Is your teacher foreign?
One Ring to rule them all. One Ring to find them. One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2009, 07:30:37 AM »
No, not really.

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2009, 11:49:24 AM »
I wasn't aware of how to say "nuclear" until the JibJab "This Land" cartoon. I remember Homer Simpson saying it incorrectly, I guess I heard W. Bush say it, and I didn't know that was wrong even though looking at how the word was spelled should have given me a clue. Reminds me of third grade when I was told that "route" was supposed to be pronounced "root" instead of "rout", then I later found out "rout" is the common American pronunciation. In any case there was a memorable "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" moment where Colin Mochrie mispronounces it as "root" and Ryan's probably thinking "oh, you Canadians and your silly words".

I've only been as far north as Vancouver B.C., so I don't think I've really gotten the Canadian experience, but close to the border it really doesn't seem that much different from America. Except for using the metric system everywhere, so that we initially went 50 mph when a speed limit sign actually said 50 km/h. I might like Canada's money better though, any excuse to have a loon in my pocket.

Anyway, back to British. Um... I really like their accents.
You didn't say wot wot.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2009, 01:16:13 PM »
Where I live, rout and root are pretty much equally acceptable.

How about pa-CAHN vs. PEE-can?
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2009, 03:43:12 PM »
Where I live, rout and root are pretty much equally acceptable.

How about pa-CAHN vs. PEE-can?
I say the former.  Is that a regional thing like soda, pop, cola, or Coke?
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

CrossEyed7

« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2009, 03:53:57 PM »
I grew up using pa-CAHN for the standalone nuts, and usually PEE-can for the pie. My mom's from Texas and my dad's from New York, so that might have something to do with it. (I was raised in upstate New York, which is basically North Carolina with snow in the winter and Democrats in the government.)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2009, 08:04:45 PM »
I sometimes pronounce words randomly depending on my mood.

Print