Print

Author Topic: How would you wrap up the Mario series?  (Read 13591 times)

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2010, 09:34:57 AM »
There is no canon.

Hey, wait a minute ! You don't have the rights to consider "there's no canon" as a fact ! Nintendo never said there was a canon, nor that there was none, so we'll stop right here. Now let's talk about pancakes.

... I like pancakes.
Now let's go back on-topic.

I would like to give a continuity to the Mario series if I had to make the final Mario game, personally.
What would be much, much better would be a New Super Mario All-Stars, containg remakes of SMB, SMB2, SMB3, SMB:TLL, SMW, NSMB and NSMBW in SMG2-like quality. And, on a seperate cartdrige, the same thing for SM64, SMS, SMG and SMG2. And, obviously, the "last Mario game".

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2010, 10:39:26 AM »
There is no canon simply because Nintendo has never said there was. If they did, there would be a canon, and then they'd probably inform what is and isn't "canon". I mean Christ, this is Mario, not DC Universe or anything.

Now keep in mind, the lack of an official canon doesn't mean Mario games lack continuity at all. Otherwise we wouldn't have things like Fawful returning as the villain in Bowser's Inside Story and whatnot. It's just that the continuity is as loose as an episodic TV show and doesn't delve into details such as date of setting and such.

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2010, 10:58:05 AM »
Won't stop some people from trying though. Miyamoto says there's a timeline to the Zelda series, but I find the games more enjoyable if I don't think about that. Just say Ganon stole the Triforce again and I'll be happy.
You didn't say wot wot.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2010, 03:33:58 PM »
Thing is, they've outright stated that Zelda does have an official canon. Then they promptly made it horribly inconsistent. So it goes.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2010, 06:06:38 PM »
Well, honestly, it's actually fun and interesting to try and string everything together, canon or no canon, Mario or not Mario.

Just because Nintendo didn't say Mario has any official canon and his games focus on light-hearted fun doesn't mean people are prohibited from coming up with their own ideas.

If Mario characters had some recollection of the past themselves, then that'd be cool. See, it could work well to be implemented into a game because it wouldn't hinder anything that makes the games great. If people caught the reference, then it'd be awesome for them. If they didn't, well, simply skip to the next text box without knowing and move on. That's all I'm really asking for, canon-wise.

When no one in the games has any memory of anything that's happened in the past, Mario seems to become less of a "person" and more of "the guy that exists solely for the purpose of navigating levels" and it makes minor characters seem even more placeholder-ish (read: pointless). (Also, don't pick that last sentence to pieces. I know Mario is fictitious.) I know that Mario doesn't say a word or really have a personality or whatever because the idea is that you're suppose to feel like Mario when you play the games. Sorry, but when I get immersed into a game, I don't feel like I'm the character I'm playing as. Being immersed makes me feel like I'm watching a movie of sorts with the ability to alter the way their quest is progressing while I'm enjoying the ride. I don't feel like I'm Mario; I feel like I'm Mario's friend, in a way.

I'm gonna stop here since another wave of laziness has come over me.
Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2010, 06:20:37 PM »
If Mario characters had some recollection of the past themselves, then that'd be cool.

Are you kidding? Mario games are FILLED with references to past games! I'd make a list of them, but that'd take a lot of time and research.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2010, 06:29:54 PM »
You didn't read carefully enough, Dr. Echidna.

If Mario characters had some recollection of the past themselves...

Yeah, the games may have references to past games (which I love) that players recognize, but the characters themselves don't recognize these things. They seem to have no recollection of past events/areas/people/things which was the original point I was making.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 06:36:00 PM by Trainman »
Formerly quite reasonable.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2010, 07:50:24 PM »
Well, honestly, it's actually fun and interesting to try and string everything together, canon or no canon, Mario or not Mario.

Just because Nintendo didn't say Mario has any official canon and his games focus on light-hearted fun doesn't mean people are prohibited from coming up with their own ideas.

I wholey advocate filling in the blanks ourselves. It's just that when people do talk about it, they constantly refer to "canon" and "not canon" as if there's as an actual, official canon to base things on, which there clearly isn't, and that annoys me.

If Mario characters had some recollection of the past themselves, then that'd be cool. See, it could work well to be implemented into a game because it wouldn't hinder anything that makes the games great. If people caught the reference, then it'd be awesome for them. If they didn't, well, simply skip to the next text box without knowing and move on. That's all I'm really asking for, canon-wise.

Bowser and his minions always acknowledge past. He acts like kidnapping Peach is a daily chore at this point.

Luigi acknowledged Mario Kart, Mario Golf, Mario Tennis and Mario Party in Paper Mario.

Presumably Mario himself recalls past events, but we never get to hear him speak his thoughts on the matter.

Keep in mind, most of this occurs in the RPGs, where there's the most dialog and of course the most story with which to fill it with. The platformers delve into this less because....well, they're platformers, and they have less cutscenes, and the characters say less.

Not to mention, if done poorly, recollecting past events tends to come off like Family Guy cutaways minus the jokes. If they draw out recollections too much it just slows everything down. This is why I prefer past references to stay as simple little background bits that are only there for the player's enjoyment. We don't want this series turning into Sonic now, do we?

When no one in the games has any memory of anything that's happened in the past, Mario seems to become less of a "person" and more of "the guy that exists solely for the purpose of navigating levels" and it makes minor characters seem even more placeholder-ish (read: pointless). (Also, don't pick that last sentence to pieces. I know Mario is fictitious.) I know that Mario doesn't say a word or really have a personality or whatever because the idea is that you're suppose to feel like Mario when you play the games. Sorry, but when I get immersed into a game, I don't feel like I'm the character I'm playing as. Being immersed makes me feel like I'm watching a movie of sorts with the ability to alter the way their quest is progressing while I'm enjoying the ride. I don't feel like I'm Mario; I feel like I'm Mario's friend, in a way.

I don't think Mario was ever intended to be seen as a person within the context of the game. I've always felt that the character and I are one and the same no matter what game I play, especially if it's a silent protagonist, which Mario always is. Maybe it's a different strokes sort of situation.

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2010, 01:47:28 PM »
If Mario characters had some recollection of the past themselves, then that'd be cool.

Actually, Bowser's Inside Story had quite a few moments like that, even from the Mario brothers themselves!

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2010, 12:52:19 PM »
The same way David Chase wrapped up The Sopranos.

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2010, 08:06:28 PM »
Mario says "Hey Wario! You're fat!" and Luigi laughs.
Dedicated, Awe-inspiring, Bearded...

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2010, 06:45:57 PM »
The first thing I'd like to mention is that if I had to give the Mario franchise a proper send-off, I'd make a massive hardware-straining game that incorporates references, locations, items, characters, enemies and who-knows-what else from every Mario game ever made. It would have a graphical style somewhere between SMG and SSBB and the plot would be about Bowser gathering up an army consisting of all of Mario's previous villains in an attempt to get revenge for how-ever-many years of failure. Luigi, Yoshi, Peach, Toad and Wario would be playable. The world would be completely open-ended and feature even the most obscure locations such as Sub-Con and Mario Land. Mario would finally be able to use every power-up he's ever had access to in full 3D. Characters like Pauline and Wanda from Mario & Wario would have cameo appearances. This game would likely never get made, but the Mario franchise would likely not end any time soon.

The funniest thing about all the world-building and depth the RPGs maintain is that it's all done in jest. Things like that block university always came off as an affectionate spoof of continuity hogging, and in Mario's world, that's probably the perfect way to go about it.

The geography is never consistent simply for the sake of gameplay. However, it's not like they never refer to previous areas in newer games. Dry Dry Desert is implied to be the same place as Kalamari Desert (both are called "Kara Kara Desert" in Japan) and even features the same (or at least a similar) choo-choo train. The opening stage of SMG2 is a recreation of the first stage of SMB1. That's about all the consistency I need.

SMS was pretty much the only mainline Mario game to do such a thing. The RPGs also usually do that but they're kinda limited by RPG-style perspectives and geometries (M&L is from an overhead perspective and everything is all block-shaped). Super Mario Galaxy doesn't have to worry about this because it's set in outer space amidst a bunch of lost satellites.

SMG basically answered the question of how Mario's world was made. The RPGs have loads of explanation behind various inner-workings, even if those are mostly self-contained within the areas those games take place in. Still, it's really that hard to imagine for oneself how the Mushroom Kingdom works based on it's appearance in SMRPG and PM1. I always though Mushroom  City was their Manhattan, and the businesses that exist there could be found simply by looking into the background or what-have-you (remember the Wiggler bus or the Goomba chocolate truck?)

I'd love for the series to have an epic finale. Split into two discs, but made like one games. Mario and Bowser would have a climactic final battle, where both of them are in their ultimate forms. One would have to die, and... well it'd be awesome! ;)

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2010, 11:32:18 PM »
I wouldn't wrap up the Mario series. That implies that the series itself has an intricate plot and developed characters, which it doesn't.

Series like Metal Gear Solid, Bioshock, and God of War get "wrap up" games.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2010, 12:51:22 AM »
Except they don't, because they'll keep getting interquels until the end of time.
That was a joke.

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2010, 09:17:08 AM »
Super Mario Galaxy 4. That game would have to be on the Wii 2
This bridge - extends from Nebraska to CANADA!

Print