Print

Author Topic: Mario 64...and..others  (Read 8256 times)

« on: July 27, 2000, 08:11:33 AM »
I know everyone thinks Mario 64 is a bad game, mainly because it drifts so far from the storyline. But...Mario 64 is also a game of rejuvenation.

Think about it...the last Mario game to come out was Mario RPG for the Super Nintendo. Then, it seemed like NIntendo slowed down. If Mario 64 hadn't been released, Mario games could have died off from the console change.

Also...if Mario 64 had been exactly like the others..it would have been a little boring. The Caps were a good idea, and the paintings were cool too.

I know this seems weird coming from a Luigi fan, but in truth, nobody at Nintendo likes Miyamoto. Last year I did a report on him, and found out Miyamoto didn't get credit for any of his games until Mario 64. If this had kept on then Miyamoto could've quit...and no more Mario.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Mario 64 was a great game, which lead us to a new generation of Mario gaming.

Thank you,

-Luigi

I'm-a Luigi, number-a one!
Do my funky dance, Oy Oy Oy!

*does victory dance after SSB fight*

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2000, 11:58:08 AM »
I don't know why no-one likes SM64. Personally I think it's a work of genius. The 3D engine is matched only by Zelda64 (which pretty much used the same engine anyway), the enemies are great, I don't feel it strayed too far from the Mario "feel" either.
If we're going to hate Mario games for straying from the Mario feel then why does everyone like SMW2 and SMB2 and SMRPG?

I think SM64 is a work of 3-dimensional art. It's spread out nicely, the difficulty level is moderate, and extra challenges are abound. I still play it because it feels like a true classic already.

I'm a SM64 fan.

Fryguy - summoned from the flame
Webmaster
nindb.classicgaming.gamespy.com - Nintendo Database

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2000, 12:15:20 PM »
I agree. Although I do not own the game, I have played it and beaten it, and I know enough not to argue when it was pronounced as "The Greatest Game on Earth".

It had features like none ever seen before...which was my point in my previous post.

-Luigi

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2000, 03:59:15 PM »
Got a few questions for 'ya.
1.WHERE did you get the idea that everyone hates Super Mario 64?
2.WHY do you agree with this obviously false claim?
3.THINK of all of the classics, however. Isn't saying SM64 is the best game ever pushing it a tad??
Tsk, tsk, tsk!
Woohoo.

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2000, 05:17:46 PM »
Like I said before, the Mario mechanics (from Super Mario Bros., Vs. Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 2: The Lost Levels, Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, Super Mario Land, and Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins) are replaced in almost every game now days with new mechanics that don't fit into a system of pseudophysics (in Super Mario Bros. 2, Yoshi's Island, Super Mario 64, and others).  I hope "Super Mario R.P.G. 2: Paper Mario" will be the one to put things back on track.

Help us, "Paper Mario," you're our onlu hope.
Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2000, 05:34:46 PM »
Hey Hey don't get hostile. I never said Mario 64 was the best in the world, thats what was said about it at E3.

stingy...

It may not compare to the classic SMB-type games, but it was still good.

Sorry to have, er, disturbed anyones thoughts of it otherwise.

-Luigi

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2000, 09:53:18 AM »
Oh no, no offense. Heck, I just really like SM64. Those capital WHY's and such weren't yelling - a mere way of starting a sentence to grab attention.

"How a Mario Bug Changed my view of Life"
- Read this story and more at my web site.
Woohoo.

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2000, 02:30:57 PM »
Umm...What do you mean,"No credit?". Do you mean it as they didn't acknowledge it, or as they simply didn't say? Because When I was in little, I was reading My Super Mario World guide with all the extra stuff, and I read the article about Miyamoto, and ever since then, I've always been a fan of his.

Kweeh! Forget Whark! Kweeh! Is better!
Kweeh! Kweeh! Yes, Kweeh forever!

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2000, 10:58:57 PM »
I've never actually beaten the original SMB for NES, and SMB2 and 3 didn't display the credits when you beat them, but I distinctly remember SMW credits displaying Miyamoto's name ("Main Programmer" and "Producer", I think). I also have the SMW guide that has the interview with him, and he was openly proclaimed as Mario's creator in books and magazines published long before SM64 was ever made, so your statement about Miyamoto getting no credit for his work until SM64 was made is complete and utter bull****.  It just makes me mad when people state untruths because of either the desire to dupe people or their own stupidity.

Must...not...harbor...perverse...sexual...lust...for...the...SMRPG...fan...girl...
Must...not...harbor...perverse...sexual...lust...for...the...SMRPG...fan...girl...

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2000, 10:52:59 AM »
I havent met two people ( I have met one) that don't like SM64 it is a work of a genius.

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2000, 01:06:22 PM »
I'm not saying that it's not good, I'm saying that it doesn't live up to the classic "Mario" games.  "Super Mario 64" was really an experimental game, like "Wario Land 3D."
Mega 2

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2000, 01:07:04 PM »
I'm not saying that it's not good, I'm saying that it doesn't live up to the classic "Mario" games.  "Super Mario 64" was really an experimental game, like "Wario Land 3D."
Mega 2

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2000, 10:58:40 PM »
Mario 64 is the only game I own for my 64,and I play it a lot still.I think it would be nice if it had some sort of multiplayer added, because you have to admit, It can and will get boring after you've found out everything, like me. I play the game over and over again,trying to beat it without dying, or I do some 1-up racing;I also try to beat some of my coin highscores, usually without sucess,though

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2000, 10:57:48 AM »
I've seemed to have spanned a lot of anger from some people because I said Miyamoto got no credit for his work. I never said he wasn't pointed out, but finacially(as in mula)he got nothing.

I'm not trying to dupe anyone into believing anything, but I've just seen several posts where people say Mario 64 was a failure. I don't think what I said was bull****, and I don't think what anyone else said was the same.

Just....try to control your emotions a tinny bit..

-Luigi

I''m-a Luigi, number-a one!

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2000, 09:00:04 PM »
I knew there would be some people here with "lower intelligence" when Deezer first opened the forums, but this is ridiculous.  What's your source saying that Miyamoto-sama was never paid for the games?  He practically designed them all (except for SML, and possibly others)!  Here's a quote from the Super Mario World strateg guide, "Mario Mania", in Miyamoto's interview:

"Q. How and when did you get started in the video game business?

A.I started working at Nintendo Company Ltd. in Kyoto, Japan in 1977 as a designer.  At first I designed characters and artwork for arcade games.  But in 1980, I directed the design and artwork for Donkey Kong, in which Mario first appeared."

I don't think he even would have stayed at Nintendo for over 15 YEARS if he wasn't getting paid!  He would have quit a long time ago, instead of supposedly waiting until 1996 to stop being a slave to Nintendo(that's what work without pay is: slavery).  Get your facts straight, Super; creating lies like this is insulting to the spirit of Miyamoto-sama.

Print